Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i think im going to drive the car from ohio to texas-

anything in particlaur I should do besides keep it out of one great continuosly while on the highway for about the fisrt 1000 miles or so- anything else ?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My technique is to vary the RPMs, trying to stay mostly below 3000 RPM during the first 500 miles. Never keep the engine at a constant RPM for too long. But also do not lug the engine at low RPMs, this is very bad. Don't let the cags take over, shift out of first before 2000 RPM or after 2500 RPM.

As I get closer to the break in point, I start being more agressive with the throttle and RPMs progressively. You don't want to go from babying for the first 500 miles to WOT just after 500 miles like a light switch. By 450 miles I was reving to 4000-4500 RPM

So far I think I've done pretty good. I'm at 1900 miles, I have run the car at the dragstrip 3 times, and done numerous street WOT runs up through 3rd gear. So far I've only used about 1/8th of quart read at the dipstick.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
pmontelo said:
My technique is to vary the RPMs, trying to stay mostly below 3000 RPM during the first 500 miles. Never keep the engine at a constant RPM for too long. But also do not lug the engine at low RPMs, this is very bad. Don't let the cags take over, shift out of first before 2000 RPM or after 2500 RPM.

As I get closer to the break in point, I start being more agressive with the throttle and RPMs progressively. You don't want to go from babying for the first 500 miles to WOT just after 500 miles like a light switch. By 450 miles I was reving to 4000-4500 RPM

So far I think I've done pretty good. I'm at 1900 miles, I have run the car at the dragstrip 3 times, and done numerous street WOT runs up through 3rd gear. So far I've only used about 1/8th of quart read at the dipstick.
Kdubb,

IMHO: Pat has stated a formula that works...........

Good Luck and watch out for the other guy.............

:cool:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'll agree with Pat. I just went thru a similar break-in on a 300 mile trip from the dealer to my home. As he said, vary the rpm as much as you can, gradually raise the upper limit of rpm as you get some miles, use all the gears as much as possible, etc. Don't even think about using cruise-control. Another thing I did was to accelerate in a given gear gently up to your current upper rpm limit, then just take your foot off the gas and let the engine slow you down. This is supposed to help wear in both sides of the teeth in the various gears.

What I did for the trip home .. and I highly recommend it .. was to plan a route that uses older 2-lane state/county roads. This gives you a lot of benefits .. you can take your time (and not worry about looking like a moron driving a Corvette 40 mph.. :) ), you hit lots of little small towns, where you get to stop and go thru all the gears, the scenery is nice, the pace is slow, and you don't have to worry much about big trucks passing you and spitting gravel all over your new car. Most of these older roads are in great condition .. it's where I like to do most of my driving, anyway. Another benefit of the small towns is that people just love to stare at your car!

I'm currently at 1100 miles (15 days of ownership), and can detect no use of oil at all. I'm now driving it as though it's completely broken in, and it runs like a scared bunny. You're gonna love your car. Have a great maiden voyage!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks guys for the info also. I am getting my car at the museum and then driving to California. Will be broke in when I get home - 2400 miles. But I am planning to take a week/10 day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMHO, you guys are gonna have some pretty slow Zs. 3000 rpms for first 500 miles?

My technique:

Baby it for first 50 miles then go through the gears sometimes to redline. Just don't dump the clutch from standstill or nail the brakes.

At 250 miles take it to the road course and blow away some other cars for about 30 laps. :)

At 500 miles dyno it (360.7 RWHP, 352 RWTQ).

Car has 800 miles w/ no gear noise, no oil burn and is makin the power.

Bob

·
Registered
680 Posts
RFC said:
IMHO, you guys are gonna have some pretty slow Zs. 3000 rpms for first 500 miles?

My technique:

Baby it for first 50 miles then go through the gears sometimes to redline. Just don't dump the clutch from standstill or nail the brakes.

At 250 miles take it to the road course and blow away some other cars for about 30 laps. :)

At 500 miles dyno it (360.7 RWHP, 352 RWTQ).

Car has 800 miles w/ no gear noise, no oil burn and is makin the power.

Bob
I tend to agree with Bob :yeadog: I have NEVER Babied any of my Hi-Pro cars (and I've had a lot :D )

What has always worked for me is to "be gentle" for the first 150/200 mainly for the brakes. I have Never kept the RPMS below 3000 :eek: BUT at the same time NEVER beat the car, just drive it like it is meant to be driven ;) Just my 0.2 :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think much of the break-in period is for the drivetrain and not the engine.

Certainly, with roller cam engines there is essentially no cam break-in. The rings seat quickly (that is the main thing that needs to 'wear-in' to fit).

The other purpose of break-in is to give the owner a change to HEAR and FEEL problems before damage is done.

If something wasn't properly tightened at the factory, comes loose, was damaged during the build, etc.. That 500 miles is so you feel the wheel get loose before it falls off and have a chance to stop the car (since you're not driving over 55, right?). At 160, it's just going to come off and you're just going to die :D

Or, if you have a rocker problem that barely becomes noticable at 3000 rpm.. Good thing you took the time to notice it before blasting to 6000, eh?

Drive it like a race car - maintain it like a race car. I won't go that fast in a car until I've checked the torque on all of the critical fasteners. It doesn't matter whether I built the suspension or GM built the suspension. After 500 miles, checking the torque and marking the fasteners with a paint marker is a good idea.

With all of the sensations of a new car, it can take a while before you notice very subtle problems (especially if they are slowly emerging).

I think letting the syncros and differential break-in is also a good idea..

If the vehicle's exhaust is loud, it's just that much more difficult to detect problems before they become serious. It's like detonation in a race car - it can be impossible to hear until it is too late.

When I break in a new race engine, I give it 30 minutes in the driveway to look for leaks and listen (but the exhaust is really loud). And since I am the warranty, you can bet I watch it like a hawk. Then I go flog it and constantly check and listen for problems. There's a lot of anxiety until you give it some quality time at 7000... And then you just don't worry about it.

So I agree.. The engine can take high rpms soon after delivery assuming there are no defects. But taking it easy isn't a bad idea..

·
Registered
44 Posts
GM

All this is very good information and I do value it higher than the GM tag line but.. what does GM have to say about all this? I generally use a bastardization between recommendations and the car company tag line(don't wanna deviate too far from it incase warranty issues arise)... Anyone have the offical word?

Jay.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
As I recall GM's official break-in policy is very simple. For the first 200 miles avoid hard braking, as this can screw up the pads. For the first 500 miles, keep it below 2500 rpm/55 mph and vary the speed.

I don't find much fault with this, but it sort of implies that there's something magic about 500 miles. I don't think it would be smart to follow their policy, and then redline it at 501 miles. For me it's simply a matter of slow and steady. Gradually increasing the demands you place on the car until you reach its limits, and while you're doing it, paying attention to way the car sounds, feels and performs. As noted above, this is when the whole car gets its first real testing, so if something's going to fail or fall off, now's when it's likely to happen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: GM

Jay K said:
All this is very good information and I do value it higher than the GM tag line but.. what does GM have to say about all this? I generally use a bastardization between recommendations and the car company tag line(don't wanna deviate too far from it incase warranty issues arise)... Anyone have the offical word?

Jay.
Official word in the book says no full throttle starts (nothing about full throttle while moving), vary speeds and 55 or under for first 500. No panic braking for first 200. Nothing about RPMs (if I recall right).

The 55 or under I think is just in case something wasn't screwed on at the factory and falls off :eek:

I checked most important stuff was tight (e.g. lugs) but that 55 stuff is for the birds, I would get run over in Texas.

Now the video says avoid full throttle but I'll go with the book.

Bob

·
Registered
61 Posts
The long way home...

I drove mine home from the museum to California. I did 900 miles the first day. The basics, as stated before me, are no hard starts or stops, and no extended driving at the same rpm.

What I did was vary the gear I was driving in on the freeway. Either 4th, 5th or 6th. I did more extended driving in 5th gear by the end of the first day to get the rpm level up higher longer. I also took it easy on the starts and stops all 3 days and 2,200 miles, but by the third day I had driven in 6th at 110mph.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: GM

Jay K said:
Jay.
bastardization :lol:

About the 55mph limit I heard that has to do with breaking in the differential. Perhaps at speeds over 55 there's too much heat generated, although I can't imagine how doing regular highway speeds (65-75) could break anything, especially on a Z06. I believe this is just a general GM breakin recommendation because from what I'm reading here the breakin procedure for my Firebird was exactly the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts