Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '02 Z06 and have 310 miles on it. How long after 500 miles should I take it easy? I've talked to a few owners and get many different answers like - hit it hard right after 500 to take it easy till 1000 or more. I want mine to be as trouble free as possible so I'm trying to be easy on it. Also, how soon should I change my oil?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Whit,

Welcome aboard make sure ya check all our features at left in the navbar. When to punch it, every school of thought has been reported here on that from easy to drive it like ya stole it off the lot. IMHO: i did 500 easy the up to 1000 varing amounts of hitting. I will say this though when you do "WOT" hang on they are a beast............

Again welcome aboard........

:cool:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Whit Miller said:
I just got my '02 Z06 and have 310 miles on it. How long after 500 miles should I take it easy? I've talked to a few owners and get many different answers like - hit it hard right after 500 to take it easy till 1000 or more. I want mine to be as trouble free as possible so I'm trying to be easy on it. Also, how soon should I change my oil?

1000 miles on the oil change should be safe, some are doing it at 500 miles. Be sure to check the oil at 500 though....and if you plan on going to 1000 miles, a safe bet would be to check it at 750 as well. Be sure to log any and all oil you do use, and if it seems to be oil thirsty, be sure to log it with your dealer!

Congrats on your new Z:D :D :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
One way to look at this is to assume that since you trusted the general to build your car trust his break in recommendations :)

In my case I kept shifts below 4000 RPM's for the 1st 300 miles, then began blipping it up to 4500 for the next 100. I also avoided steady rate speed/rpm for the 1st 500.

Oh yea - I drag raced the car - 6 runs, with 400+ miles on it.

Changed the oil at 2300 miles, never had to add any.

Les

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Re: Re: Break-in

ZO6/Les said:

In my case I kept shifts below 4000 RPM's for the 1st 300 miles, then began blipping it up to 4500 for the next 100. I also avoided steady rate speed/rpm for the 1st 500.

Changed the oil at 2300 miles, never had to add any.

Les
This is about how I handled it, too. There's nothing magic about 500 miles, but it makes good sense to gradually push the car harder during break-in, both to give the car a chance to 'wear-in' properly, and to give yourself a chance to get familiar with what the car will do. Vary your speed and RPM as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I took mine easy for the first 1000 miles did an oil change and then after a few days got more and more aggressive:cheers: :cheers: . But it all depends on whether or not your confortable with driving the car hard early or not!!!!:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I took it easy on the Z, I drove at or below 3800 rpm/140mph during the 500 mile break-in period. The first oil change at 3200 miles, after I had returned from my xc trip, the DIC showed a 75% reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts