Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I was wondering if it is safe to push the limits of the Z06 from the start or do you have to break in the drivetrain? I have heard both that you should break it in and that it is race ready from the start. Please enlighten me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif I am new to the vette scene and am looking forward to the information you all have. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I would not assume ANYTHING is 'race-ready'. I've heard that the drivetrain needs the same kind of break-in as the engine. Gradually increase power demands until you get a few hundred miles under your belt.

I've heard that a good way of doing this is to accelerate in first up to 2000-3000 rpm, then take your foot off the gas and let the engine drag the speed back down. Do the same thing in all the gears (within limits of practicality) and do it a number of times. This is supposed to promote even wear on both sides of the various gear faces in the power train. I've also heard that it helps to get it hot, then let it cool. Then repeat. The heating/cooling cycle is supposed to help the various metals wear and harden.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts