Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations for upgrading syncro gears. I have broke two (between 3 and 4th) within the last year. As I understand they are made of brass and certainly in my case are not very durable. Additional information may help: have a B&W shifter (still very stiff and considering returning to stock) with engine and driveline mods resulting in 413 rwhp. Also have 20 and 19 inch wheels with 335 and 295 tires. Brembo brakes with Penske DA and Hotchkis sway bar kit.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Rockland Standard builds a strong Tranny for our cars. :z:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Not made of brass, made out of composite stuff. (cardboard I think) Rockland Standard makes a special coated blocker ring.
Have you had the steel fork installed yet? The aluminum one (3/4) will flex and push the slider to far and the little keys come out of shaft and then the blocker rings breaks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
22655TD said:
Not made of brass, made out of composite stuff. (cardboard I think) Rockland Standard makes a special coated blocker ring.
Have you had the steel fork installed yet? The aluminum one (3/4) will flex and push the slider to far and the little keys come out of shaft and then the blocker rings breaks.
It's cardboard on the '01 cars. The '02 and up models are some type of plastic I believe. You could probably just replace them with brass ones and have a lot more durability. Either way, the aluminum shift fork is what causes most of the problems.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
NETfiend said:
Either way, the aluminum shift fork is what causes most of the problems.
:yeadog: Back in 02' I had the shift fork bend two months after delivery which lead to the syncos going between 3rd and 4th after another two months. They replaced the complete tranny with the updated version ( post Aug 02' ) and I have been beating on it ever since with no issue.... :p

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Tom Fuscaldo said:
:yeadog: Back in 02' I had the shift fork bend two months after delivery which lead to the syncos going between 3rd and 4th after another two months. They replaced the complete tranny with the updated version ( post Aug 02' ) and I have been beating on it ever since with no issue.... :p
You got lucky. They REPAIRED my transmission twice, (the second time they tried to make it out like I was abusing the car so they could say the warranty was void). The first time they repaired the transmission they replaced the clutch (which never had a problem and now no longer works properly). The transmission and clutch still aren't right, and probably never will be until I fix it myself. I'm still bitter over the whole ordeal.... And it's not to say that I haven't tried to get the stuff fixed properly. All the dealers I take it to just give me the brush off and say the car is working to specifications. The manufacturers warranty is up in another few thousand miles, and then I have the aftermarket extended warranty to work with... Maybe I'll be able to get someone to fix it properly with that (since I can't get GM to step up).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I went thru the same thing, I finally installed an Exedy twin, fixed the tranny myself with the aftermarket blocker rings and haven't had a problem since. The new C6 they re-engineered the shafts, did something about the keys that pop out of the shaft and start the issue.
I read about it somewhere. GM KNOWS they have a problem, but if they can stall long enough to get it out of warranty then they are off the hook unless you want to spend atlot of time bitching and that cuts out a lot of people. Just like the clutch sticking issue. I gave up and just saved my blood pressure and fixed it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts