Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a 04' Z06 Le Mans with a Vortech supercharger. The power is rather insane, which has led me to question the brakes. Does anyone know if I can upgrade to, let's say 2013 breaking system? (ceramic)?

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
The carbon ceramic ZR1 setup can be transplanted to a C5, but it is crazy expensive at around $9K (plus new wheels to clear the rotors and calipers). There's a thread on CF with the full parts list.

Your stock braking system is quite capable with the proper pad selection. If you're really exceeding its' capability, AP Racing, Willwood, or StopTech are worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I agree. The stock system is pretty good at stopping the car. It's not maybe so good for sustained/prolonged braking. Any of the upgrades mentioned above would fix that. But for street, it's fine. I've been driving my 02 w/Vortech for 10 years now and the only thing I changed was to ceramic pads (which arguably reduce stopping a bit, but totally eliminate brake dust).

·
Registered
400 Posts
For what it is worth, I upgraded to a Wilwood solution at all four corners and have never regretted it one iota.

Consider: how can you beat two-piece rotors for heat dissipation?

I am running the 6 piston forward/4 piston rearward configuration with a rear spacer on the rears to allow clearance for my 18" CCWs.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Consider: how can you beat two-piece rotors for heat dissipation?
You can do this without upgrading the calipers. DBA 5000 rotors run around $600 for the front set, for example.

I just keep burning through $50 Raybestos rotors. I find it hard to believe I can get 6x the life out of the DBA rotor. I'm sure there are other ROIs, but that is the big one to me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Again, for what it is worth, I ran the same Wilwood 6 piston setup on the front end of my road racing 2002 Camaro Z28 for FIVE seasons. Never once did I have a caliper failure. During that time, I changed rotors only TWICE.

Now that's performance for the buck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did the C6 Z06 upgrade. It was pretty straight forward. Had to go to 18" front and 19" rear wheels.

For the Z07 ceramic upgrade do you have to run 19" front and 20" rear?? In my opinion those rim sizes are too big. Tires look like rubber bands.

I run the 345 in the rear and my fronts are 285/40. Snug fit.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
you gotta get the aluminum hat rotors if you do anything...also, like letting air out to get more traction, you can make sure you dont have too much air in them and make sure the nose is pointed down properly (mine leans back slightly for the dragstrip).
zteve06

1 - 14 of 14 Posts