Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had jet coated Breathless Long Tube Headers, Bassini X-pipe, and removal of the precats done at Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I retained the stock titanium cat backs since they are light and a defining part of the Z06. I understand they are well engineered, and not much is to be gained from a flow standpoint/hp standpoint from the catbacks other than sound and loudness. I chose the BPP headers since the are match ported to the oval Z06 exhaust port, increase hp/torque in all rpms on stock motor, and have removable collectors for easier clutch access. I had the car lowered maximally on the stock bolts with realignment to stock specs. The sound is much improved: hollow and more aggressive at idle, quiet at cruise (possibly even quieter and smoother than stock), and mean and loud at open throttle. It screams wide open, with absolutely no resonance at cruise in sixth gear at low rpm. There is no question in my mind that there is significant performance increases with these mods. SOTP feel is much more than doing the intake in my opinion. I believe the hp/torque claims on the Breathless website. That was done on a '02, so '01 may get even more since you get 5-10hp from removing the precats. I highly recommend these mods ('01 especially), and the emissions should be fine with the standard cats in place. I also guess there must be at least a 20 pound weight loss with these mods. Lowering the car with alignment is also highly recommended, since the Z06's come on the highest suspension settings from the factory. The cars sits much better now. Tony's shop did a first rate install with excellent service. I wish I did this sooner!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Sounds good. I was especially interested in in your report on how they sound. I am having the Breathless long tubes with x-pipe installed on my '02 in two weeks. Also can't wait to see how it runs with the Halltech T-1 package that we just completed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That sounds great. I am having the BPP step headers and x-pipe installed the first week of February at BPP. I talked to Ernie yesterday at the NCRS gathering and he made me feel very comfortable with the installation and product. He was very professional and generous with his time for my questions. Les/Fubu was also on hand and speaks very highly of the product. I have been looking forward to having the work done for a couple of months. Keep us posted on how you feel about your mod as you get more time with them. I will let you know my findings too.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts