Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Z06 67k miles. Driven hard at times. Alot of highway miles.

This happened a few nights ago:

B0521 Tachometer Signal Circuit Malfunction

Just got home 30 mins ago from work as usual.

I always idle thru the neighborhood in neutral. Right about when I got to my driveway, I could hear/feel the car starting to idle rough. I coasted into the driveway and it died. It would barely restart and only enough to get up the driveway and it died again as I got into the garage.

Checked the computer to make sure no corrosion, all good.

Removed all the plugs:

Did a compression test and found the #1 cylinder had "0" psi.

Remove the left side cover and find this:

Going with crane 1.8 rockers, dual springs and Ti retainers

Going to put some air on the piston tomorrow, but I got a feeling it will be ok. Will also check the valve.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lucky guy, usually a broken springs meant he piston would be trash. At least that was the case for me. :cry:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sorry to hear about your valve train mis-fortune. Are you planning on going with the 1.7 or the 1.8 ratio? I am very interested in your results and long term reliably. Please keep us posted.

Chas.

I missed the 1.8 ratio in your earlier post.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put 10psi of air to the #1 cylinder and with the lifter sealed there is no air noise in the intake or exhaust. so looks like the piston and lifter survived. Just waiting for parts.....

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
That sucks...glad nothing was seriously messed up. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
gmblack3 said:
I put 10psi of air to the #1 cylinder and with the lifter sealed there is no air noise in the intake or exhaust. so looks like the piston and lifter survived. Just waiting for parts.....
You need to put about 150 psi in the cylinder with the piston at TDC and the car in gear.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
22655TD said:
You need to put about 150 psi in the cylinder with the piston at TDC and the car in gear.
Not a motor pro here at all, but why? I'm just checking to make sure there is not a hole in the piston or the lifter is not bent. :-?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well today I got the guide plates, rocker arm studs and pushrods installed. Got to wait 4-6 hours for the loc-tite to cure on the rocker arm studs. Will change out the springs and rocker arms tomorrow.

Here are the guide plates, rocker arm studs and the install nuts that have a set screw on top.

Here you can see one guide plate and two rocker arm studs installed. Then you can see where the next set will go:

Right side all done:

Here are the install instructions, I did steps 1-6 and just the pushrod part of 7 today.
http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/438e.pdf

For step #2, I used some carb cleaner (w/ hose installed) and sprayed it into the rocker thread stud boss area with a paper towel below to catch oil and cleaner that came back out. I then used a little air to get more of the cleaner out and a rolled up end of a paper towel to get the rest of the cleaner out.

I took my time as this was the first time that I did this.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trumperZ06 said:
:jawdrop: Sorry about the problem !!!

;) Glad to hear it's looking like you got it "Under Control" !!!
Better for it to happen on my street/driveway then some place like Va or somewhere like that. :thumb:

·
21,378 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Bryan. I'm a visual kind of guy and you know what they say about a picture.

Can't wait to hear what the results are on the dyno!

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem John. I think I'll wait a few weeks for the dyno. Just want to make sure everything is good and broke-in first.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
gmblack3 said:
Not a motor pro here at all, but why? I'm just checking to make sure there is not a hole in the piston or the lifter is not bent. :-?
I was just think about checking valve sealing.
10 psi isn't much. If there was a BIG problem it would leak with 10 psi but if a small sealing problem it would take more psi to hear it.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
22655TD said:
I was just think about checking valve sealing.
10 psi isn't much. If there was a BIG problem it would leak with 10 psi but if a small sealing problem it would take more psi to hear it.
Thanks for the info.

With the help of a good friend we got it all done. I would say took about 4.5 hours.

Here is another article that explains how to do the job:

http://www.stealthram.com/reddogplan.htm

Started it up and let it idle for 15 mins, then shut it down for the night. Drove it yesterday for about 180 easy (under 3k) miles and all was well. Going to go on the safe side and drive it for 300 total easy miles before I beat on it again. I think I will dyno late next week.

I think its quiter then the stock setup. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
gmblack3
Did you do this all in your own garage? Damn!
From the article you posted it seems easy enough......as long as you have a idea on what your doing before you start.
Aren't there all kinds of measurements and spring tests you have to do as well as just bolting them in?

It amazes me the knowledge here and the amount of DIY mods and repairs members are doing. Someday I will learn all this stuff!

Jim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts