Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at the track 2 days ago and launched the car hard at 5000 rpm all of a sudden the car got locked, both wheels at the back were locked and they had to toe the car out. I was really dissapointed and shocked. I had my MT ET street tires on the car that day and did alot of burnout and tires were too sticky plus the track was sticky too! this caused the shaft to brake.

i'd like to upgrade my shaft now, anyone recommend anything? and will upgrade anything to avid these kind of stuff happening again, please let me know what you recommend in this case.

thanks guys
Ebrahim
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
405bhp said:
i was at the track 2 days ago and launched the car hard at 5000 rpm all of a sudden the car got locked, both wheels at the back were locked and they had to toe the car out. I was really dissapointed and shocked. I had my MT ET street tires on the car that day and did alot of burnout and tires were too sticky plus the track was sticky too! this caused the shaft to brake.

i'd like to upgrade my shaft now, anyone recommend anything? and will upgrade anything to avid these kind of stuff happening again, please let me know what you recommend in this case.

thanks guys
Ebrahim
Ebrahim, any time you launch hard on an IRS rear end, you run the risk of breaking a half shaft or even the main shaft. Although it is impossible to 'bulletproof' your drivetrain for drag racing conditions, the three main things you can do to try and decrease the potential are the following...

Hardened half shaft
Hardened main shaft
Diff/tranny brace

Although several vendors here sell these products, I got my half shaft from LPE, my main shaft from Rockland Standard and my diff/tranny brace from DTE, if that helps at all.

Mike

(bear in mind that a hardened half or main shaft is not an 'end all' answer and these may even become more brittle than the stock shaft after continued racing and may require replacement from time to time)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
652 Posts
A hard lauch at the track will snap the halfshaft real fast. The next in line is the transmission shaft. I've seen quite a few brake right through the dif. breaking both the trans. and the rear. Next would be the short half shaft or pinion shaft, then comes the impeller shaft in the torque tube.
I've broken them all at one time or another.

Have Dynotech build you a rear, that's what I'll be doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guys its not the diffrential shaft.... its the shaft between the tranny and the diffrential that broke.. is it called the main shaft?
whats the best upgrade for this shaft?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my differential is fine, i got it from Phil @ DTE, but it has some noise i think its from the fluid i used. As we dont have the Redline oil available in the country so i had no other choice. Phil is going to take care of this problem, i spoke to him yesterday
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
300M main output shaft from Rockland Standard Gear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
652 Posts
405bhp said:
guys its not the diffrential shaft.... its the shaft between the tranny and the diffrential that broke.. is it called the main shaft?
whats the best upgrade for this shaft?

thanks
That would be the transmission main shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FRC Tom said:
That would be the transmission main shaft.
tom, i think its the halfshaft that broke.

to anyone who drag races just becarful while launching with D.O.T tires.. they're too sticky that its possible to brake things!
which vendors sell a upgraded halshaft?

thanks
ebrahim
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
405bhp said:
tom, i think its the halfshaft that broke.

to anyone who drag races just becarful while launching with D.O.T tires.. they're too sticky that its possible to brake things!
which vendors sell a upgraded halshaft?

thanks
ebrahim
ebrahim, if it's the shaft going out of the tranny and into the differential, it's the main shaft, not the half shaft.
As Paul indicted above, you can get a 300M output shaft from Rockland or other companies.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,905 Posts
FRC Tom said:
A hard lauch at the track will snap the halfshaft real fast. The next in line is the transmission shaft. I've seen quite a few brake right through the dif. breaking both the trans. and the rear. Next would be the short half shaft or pinion shaft, then comes the impeller shaft in the torque tube.
I've broken them all at one time or another.

Have Dynotech build you a rear, that's what I'll be doing.
We have had a lot of problems with the driveline as of late. The only rearend we scattered was a Dynotech. All of the rest (3 others: 2- 3.73's Motive, 1- 3.42 OEM) rear failures were gear face erosion that caused howling. These failures were "cheap" as far as failures go. When a rear explodes, you are looking at big bucks, figure $5000 parts and labor. Gauled gears are about $1100 parts and labor.

But with the other 3 rears, different components started to fail. Trans output shaft sheared at broach (crystallized metal) and bell housing failure. Apparently launching torque was finding the "weak link" in the driveline.

We are thinking the Exedy clutch hit too hard, so we are trying a softer clutch. We are now running a "Getrag 3.73" to see if it survives.

And we are crossing our fingers. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kat said:
We are thinking the Exedy clutch hit too hard, so we are trying a softer clutch. We are now running a "Getrag 3.73" to see if it survives.

And we are crossing our fingers. :D
exactly!
i think the twin disk clutch hit too hard and the weakest point at the launch was the main shaft!
stock clutch used to slip whenever i had a hard launch so less pressure was there..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MikesZ06 said:
ebrahim, if it's the shaft going out of the tranny and into the differential, it's the main shaft, not the half shaft.
As Paul indicted above, you can get a 300M output shaft from Rockland or other companies.

Mike
yes mike you're right.. its the main shaft.
ill contact rockland..thanks man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,905 Posts
405bhp said:
ill contact rockland..thanks man
We also have the Rockand shaft.. As a matter of fact the whole trans :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
405bhp said:
yes mike you're right.. its the main shaft.
ill contact rockland..thanks man
I don't want to pitch you something you may not want but I have a tranny built by Rockland that I'm selling. It was built a couple of weeks ago. It'll hold up to about 700 rwhp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paul said:
I don't want to pitch you something you may not want but I have a tranny built by Rockland that I'm selling. It was built a couple of weeks ago. It'll hold up to about 700 rwhp.
paul, send me an email with more info :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alssiri said:
WOW :jawdrop: I thought the main shaft is the only weak part in there.Hope you get things together soon. :z:
dude, it was the main shaft
thanks anyway :)

btw you should give us a visit to the drag strip, let me know if u have any plans
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top