Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broken Seat Belt Retractors

May be a silly question but:

Has anyone out there noticed any problem with their seat belt retractors? My passenger seat belt will not fully retract. Specifically the lap belt retrator. This is a problem because if you don't physically reach over and pull the seat belt up onto the seat, after a passenger uses it, it could get shut in the door! The chrome latch could also damage the paint, seal, etc.
Also has anyone tried to fix this problem or do you just take into the dealer?:-? :-?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Check for a "fold-over"

Earlier C5s had a problem with the seat belt retractor guides. That led to a TSB and a redesign of that unit. The cause often (not always) was the lap belt getting folded over on itself as it was retracting and then getting jambed so it wouldn't retract all the way in.

So pull the belt all the way out and check for signs it's suffering from a fold-over. If it's not, ask the dealer to replace the entire assembly.

Ranger

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Ranger. I'll try that and see if it works.:)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Broken Seat Belt Retractors

02blkZ06 said:
Also has anyone tried to fix this problem or do you just take into the dealer?:-? :-?
FWIW, as part of the installation of the BK harness bar you have to unbolt the seat belt retractors temporarily. It's actually really easy to get to, and I imagine it'd be easy for you to inspect on your own. That being said, if you'd rather not mess with it yourself, then take it to the dealer. But it you're nervous about the dealer touching your car, just know that you might be able to diagnose the problem yourself.

-Kirk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kirk,

I will look at it more closely. I did check on the fold over problem mentioned before and that was not the problem. It appears as if the belt was not fully wound or the tension spring slipped during assembly. I always hate to take my cars to the dealer. They always seem to come back with another problem. what a hassle!

Steve:cheers:

·
Registered
36 Posts
My C5 had this problem and Van in Carrollton fixed it gladly. I haven't heard of any carryover to the 01's or 02's. But parts are parts to the General.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zoomy,

Thanks for the info. Classic Cherolet has ordered a new one for me and will call me as soon as it arrives. I'm not going to have them try and fix the broken one. In fact they suggested that it be completely replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chrissdoug,

No offense but hope I don't have to see you professionally!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts