Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More Broken Valve Springs Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok so now i'm sorta screwed... Here's a little background why I am so furious and any help would be appreciated.

02 z06 bone stock 2 weeks ago get a stumbling drove it to dealer and found our #6 valve spring snapped in half. Wow what do you know i am 1 MONTH past warranty and i only have 24k on the odometer so really i have low miles on the car vs. the warranty. I fix the valve spring which was 500 and took the car home.. 1 week later

car stumbling:

take back to dealer now i found out that #3 AND #4 are done as well.. This is a BONE STOCK CAR and now i have had 3 springs break in 2 weeks. WTF :NoNo: So now it's 1100 to replace these parts but what if the others break? Do i need to spend 2k just to replace them all and not have to worry. This car is a real PITA and im getting fed up. Any chance to have gm do ANYTHING about this. I mean cmon 1 month outta warranty way low miles for the year and over occuring spring problems?

am i the ONLY one facing this :flaming:

·
Registered
35 Posts
When the valve springs go what is keeping the valve from making contact with the piston?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
One is bad luck. 3, at nearly the same time, IMO, is defective material and there's very little question about it. And part of my job includes both failure analysis and material analysis.

If this were your fault, something you were doing, given the number of failures you've had and the number of other Z owners there are, there'd have to be at least *some* other Z owners with the same bad luck. Your success rate is nearly 40%. Statistics demands we'd see others making the same "mistake". Why aren't there others as "lucky" as you?

And if that weren't enough, I'd be hard pressed to figure what you might be doing that would consistantly break valve springs and nothing else. Preventative Maintenance doesn't enter in to it. It ought to be down right impossible.

You're not doing something crazy like starting the engine and then putting a rock on the accelerator pedal and walking away, are you? :rofl:

If I had to guess, springs probably come off a machine and then go in to an engine "sequentially". They don't make the springs, toss them in to a big box and then pull them out randomly. They make the springs and they package them so they're arranged in a neat, orderly fashion. The most likely orderly fashion is in the order in which they're made. Then, when they're built in to an engine, the springs go in to the engine in the order the were packaged, which was the order in which they were made. So if a machine went out of tolerance, or a section of the wire had any material defects (from either handling, fabrication, or the metal itself), it would likely be a group of springs all made around the same time that'd turn out to be bad. If the bad springs all ended up in one car, which is certainly possible if not even likely, that car would have a radically disproportionate spring failure rate.

Just like you.

This kind of thing happens all the time in just about any typical manufacturing process. Things go out of whack and you don't always notice right away. By the time you do notice, you've already made a bunch of widgets and you don't know how many others might also be bad. You inspect the material, but sometimes maybe some has already shipped and you can't easily call it back, other times you can't see the defect and the part passes inspection. Some bad ones "escape". The end user sometimes ends up with your problems.

Of course, getting GM to consider this possibility and "do right" is going to be long odds, but if it were me, I'd give this approach a shot with the GM service "chain of command". If you have the broken springs, they can be inspected at the fracture. Metal failure is a well developed science. It is relatively easy to say why a material fractured and any contributing defects are often easy to identify. And while I can't name any right off the top of my head, I know there are services you can pay that will do this analysis for you, if GM proved unwilling.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had additional failures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies....

The thing is the car isn't abused or anything in ANY way. I drive a turbo miata for a toy and am very used to abuse vs. driving it hard. I always let the car warm up for maybe a minute before even pulling out of the driveway, let the oil temp get above 160 before any type of hard driving. There is never a misshift/bouncing off rev limiter for any priod of time nothing. Ive asked a few performance shops in town what they thought and none have heard of any problems like this. The dealer has had 1 case before but that after he swapped a big cam and left the stock valvetrain(duh).

I am going forth with the repairs after the dealer massaged the price a little to help out a fellow enthusiast but I forsurely will be sending all these broken and not broken springs to whomever might be able to help or do some testing. Hey maybe they will pay afterward(not holding breath).

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't know why they broke, but I would guess OEM springs cost under $100 for a set. Upgrades will run you up to $500.
You can easily change them yourself, or pay to have them ALL changed to reduce risk of further damage.

I have not ever heard of this

Personally, your dealership screwed you if you were that close to warranty.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you accidentally over-rev the engine? Perhaps on a power-shift caught 2nd instead of 4th for just a moment, or downshifted and forced the engine above redline briefly?
On a stock car, driving on the street, those springs should not fail like that unless there was a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You may have special circumstances. Ask your Dealer to arrange a face to face meeting with the GM Regional Rep. Sometimes as a goodwill gesture the General will pay for the repair. :z:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, meet with the regional rep. You might also want to mention how much you like the C6, but are now considering a BMW M3 because you have had so many problems with the Z06 :sneaky:

I was told the dealers have a slush fund that can be used in situations like this. I had a Pontiac re-painted out of warranty because my plan was to trade it in on a Toyota. That didn't sit too well with GM. I think GM should pick up the tab on this as a good will gesture.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your dealership f-ed you if you were 1 month out of warranty. I had many problems and my car was out of warranty, (had the extended plan though) however, they added 3 months to the warranty and fixed everything for me for free in less than 2 weeks. They also provided a rental (large suv) for free. Bill 4700$ total. They did me right. Bad dealership. Good luck. ED :screwy:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Do a search on this site for broken valve springs, You will find a few
There is a missing factor if you have got three broke.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
GotXgss -- when was your car made? ... or what's the s/n in the VIN? I've got a 2002 also, but only have about 14K miles on it, and am wondering if cars made close to yours might someday have the same problem. :mah:

To me, it definately sounds like bad springs ... probably bad metallurgy on a bunch of them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just bought a 02 Z06 from my friend. He broke a spring at 60000 km. The valve broke and embedded itself sideways into the top of piston #1. Gm declined him his GMPP because he has headers. He went to the dealer and put up a fuss saying he wanted his gmpp money back. They sent a rep to see him and the motor. The rep said "that's not supposed to happen to a LS6 , where would you like your new motor shipped to ? " Long story short, he got a brand new LS6, with new version 2004 valve springs and it was done at an independent shop no less. The indep. had taken the motor out after gm denied him warranty so he was going to build the motor. I now have a badass Z06 with a new motor with 1000km on it. !!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
If it's not to late, did you speak with the guys at Combination Motorsports about upgraded springs/price and warranty?

Who's the dealer in Vegas???

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Big Red Machine said:
Long story short, he got a brand new LS6, with new version 2004 valve springs ...
So GM actually changed the valve spring design starting with the 2004 models? I've never heard this one before.

If so, what was the reason for the change?

·
Registered
88 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
So GM actually changed the valve spring design starting with the 2004 models? I've never heard this one before.

If so, what was the reason for the change?
I may be wrong on this, but the springs are usually color coded and these were a different color than the 02 stockers.
Most people I talk to say they are a "same, but better quality spring in the 04"

·
Registered
373 Posts
IT L GO said:
You may have special circumstances. Ask your Dealer to arrange a face to face meeting with the GM Regional Rep. Sometimes as a goodwill gesture the General will pay for the repair. :z:
:yeadog: They did it for me on a couple things and I didn't even have to meet with them, the dealership took care of it all. The right dealership will take care of you. Sorry about your problems with that dealer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
GotXgss,

Did you buy the car NEW or used? If bought used, I just wonder if the previous owner modified the engine and then returned it to stock upon selling it to you. Could have caused some damage to the springs!!!! Just a thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts