Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: My brand new 480 mi Z06 has developed a bad rattle some where in the motor . It sounds valvetrain related to me :(
The flat bed is coming to pick it up now. I have been gentle on the break in and have only revved it through the gears once. Needless to say I need a drink right about now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My best wishes for a speedy recovery of you Z:guiness: Keep us informed and lean on us for support, that's why we are here. :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
There have been

A couple of instances of broken rockers......maybe this is all it will be...............best of luck.:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I am sitting on alert waiting for the phone to ring to go TDY so I really did not need this :puke: I hate not being able to monitor the repair, GM mechanics don't exactly have the best rep although my local dealer is supposed to be pretty good. And to top it off my daily driver is having a new motor put in it after eating a piston. This has not been a good week for my rides.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: There have been

ZO6LS6 said:
A couple of instances of broken rockers......maybe this is all it will be...............best of luck.:D
Mine had one broken rocker arm early in its life before I started running it at the drags. The plant said there were some bad parts (rocker arms) and each instance seemed to be just one rocker. My technician checked all the push rods and they were fine as were the rest of the rocker arms.

My car dynoed the same before and after. And it's done well at the drags since.

Hoping this turns out to be your issue too and suspect it is, unless you've missed a downshift and over-reved the engine, which you'd definitely remember.

Ranger

·
Registered
568 Posts
Exhaust leaks at the header flange almost always sound like a valve train problem. Odds are, this is what you're experiencing. So don't worry too much yet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EBZ06- The Z was my present for making MSGT. I should sew it on about February :D The pay isn't much better but my wife has an MBA and a pretty decent job so that helps alot :lol:

Ranger- It has definitely not been over revved, he!! it hasn't even seen 6 grand yet! By the way I noticed your location, do you ever go to Cecil County? I have had the L up there and I plan on taking the Z06 as soon as she is broken in.

·
Registered
837 Posts
GalaxyEng said:
Ranger- It has definitely not been over revved, he!! it hasn't even seen 6 grand yet!...do you ever go to Cecil County? .... I plan on taking the Z06 as soon as she is broken in.
GalaxyEng, My best runs have been at Cecil County where the track is well-prepped. Test and tune on alternate Saturdays is terrific there; good prep and you can make lots of runs. Next one is Oct 27th. If you plan to go up, drop me an email. Perhaps we can hook up.

Let us know what the valve train noise turns out to be.

Ranger

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given the current situation I can never tell from one day to the next if I will be in town or not, but I would love to get together at Cecil. I will keep in touch.

·
Registered
837 Posts
GalaxyEng said:
Given the current situation I can never tell from one day to the next if I will be in town or not, but I would love to get together at Cecil. I will keep in touch.
Understand the drivers for schedule uncertainty. But if you can make the trip to Cecil, let me know. If not this fall, then in the spring.

Ranger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts