Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first vette. It is an 02 silver Z. I WANT to remove the BSM.

Has anybody experenced extensive fade with a silver car or one of its age?

The anwser will make my decision

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
First, congratulations on the "Quick" Z and welcome to :z:
Do a search on BSM here and you'll pick up a thread on how to remove.:idea:
My OPINION ... don't take as fact ... If the car has been inside and not exposed to a lot of that TX sun you should not have fade issues.
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Remember the BSM's have a positive aerodynamic effect:
- they increase the laminar flow along the side of the car
- help prevent the waterfall of air off the hood cowl
- reduce rear end lift by preventing the air from curling under the rear
- have a small downforce effect
This is all of course above 150 MPH.

Most all racers leave them on.

The C5R does not use them as they attacked the above problems in a different manner.

The C6, C6R and C6 Z06 do not and will not have them because those aerodynamic effects were designed into the new body style.

·
Registered
878 Posts
first thing i did next to cags-was remove my bsm's-look at my post "qs z16 wheels "for some pic's of mine without the bsm's-they are a waste-they protect very little
easy to remove-hair dryer-start on the pointed end and lift and peel back they will come off-remove the rubber glue-and polish-there was no fade on my z and it was an 01 which was 3 yrs old when i did mine
have fun :D :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
tckylem said:
Just bought my first vette. It is an 02 silver Z. I WANT to remove the BSM.

Has anybody experenced extensive fade with a silver car or one of its age?

The anwser will make my decision
I took mine off after 2 years. Big difference in the color. Two weeks in the sun and it was all gone. My car is Millennium Yellow. On my car I would not call it fade, I believe the color was photosensitive. Just take of one small piece first and see. Let us know how you make out. :z:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Millenium Yellow is the only color I've seen that's been a problem for fading, and it may be the tint coat. Silver would seem to be one of the least likely to show fade, but if you're concerned, just pull one of the short fender moldings first, and inspect the area under varying lights.

And I'm still not buying the aero bit.

·
Registered
878 Posts
black and red may be photo sensitive also ,not sure maybe some others will know-i guess thats one advantage of quicksilver.. :D :D
good luck-i don't regret i did mine-but too each his own,some people love um- i just think its a $125 profit stick on for GM :z:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts