Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I read up in the archives about how others removed their BSMs, and I just went for it. My car is an 01, so there was a bit of concern regarding paint fade... But.. Who cares!

I let the car sit in the sun, which really helped.
I used fishing line with a friend heating the molding with a blow dryer. I sawed away, as he pulled the piece away from the door. They came off in 15 minutes.. We then rolled the glue off by finger, and removed the residue with WD40.
I came back over everything with some cleaner wax, and buffed it to perfection...

WELL WORTH IT.

I did notice that the car has less downforce after removal, and over 90mph... Not :roll: :D

·
Registered
833 Posts
Looks great, I've considered the same but afraid the Torch Red may have faded. :)
:usa:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Wally said:
Looks great, I've considered the same but afraid the Torch Red may have faded. :)
:usa:
Took mine off after two years and after a few days in the sun and you would never know that they were there. Mine car is MY. :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resist said:
Congrats for joining the smooth side!
:lol:
Washing the car and drying it was quicker too! :jammin:

If your car sits in the sun, ALL day every day for years, I would be worried. But if she is a garage queen to some degree as many are, I would just DO EET! :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
IT L GO said:
Took mine off after two years and after a few days in the sun and you would never know that they were there. Mine car is MY. :cheers:
VETTEST said:
If your car sits in the sun, ALL day every day for years, I would be worried. But if she is a garage queen to some degree as many are, I would just DO EET!
Thanks guys! This what I've been waiting to hear, BSM removal is now on the To-Do list. I will try one of the front halves first just in case since it would be easier to put back on if neccessary.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I was thinking of taking mine off. I think since the car is black, the color tends to kinda "hide" them a little. They are much more noticeable on other colors.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats...Your car looks much better without the BSM. I had my dealer take the body side molding off my car before I would accept delivery. I can't stand the looks of the C5 with BSM.

·
Registered
878 Posts
way to go...you can see pic's of mine on a post qsz16wheels,it was the first thing i did
:thumb:

·
Registered
239 Posts
The BSM is that little "line" down the side of the doors, right? It starts roughly under the z06 badge and goes to the end of the door. I had no idea that people remove these. Hmmm....would make it a lot easier to wax.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I always wonder about the vehemence some people have regarding their BSMs. I love mine. Corvettes look nekid w/o 'em IMnotsoHO.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
dezballs69 said:
The BSM is that little "line" down the side of the doors, right? It starts roughly under the z06 badge and goes to the end of the door. I had no idea that people remove these. Hmmm....would make it a lot easier to wax.
You have NO IDEA how much easier it is to wax! I bought my car with the BSMs, but ditched them last fall. I always used to hate polishing the sides of the car because it just took so long (I always viewed it as having to do four "halves" of the sides -- the top half and the bottom half on each side). It is amazing how much easier and faster it is polishing (or just washing and drying) the whole car now. Night and day difference.

-Kirk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts