Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. I am looking into building a hot rod. (not a Corvette Hardtop) When I did some work for certain customers, when I was in Long Island, I purchased two LT1 short blocks in the crate, and I guess I got stuck with them, because they couldn't come up with the balance of the money to finish their cars. Well, they have been sitting here since 1972, and the town I live in is very big into hot rods. So what do you think I should go with? A 1930 Chevy, 1932 Ford with rumble seat or a five window coupe?

Whatever it will be, it has to be yellow.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hi Larry...

Steve's on the right track, In my occasionally humble opinion. But, I have faith! I believe that whichever way you go, it will be impeccable, fast, and ultra cool ... er ... ultra:cool: !

Be kind of fun to post pics here from time to time as you do it, just to keep us old hot-rodder sorts up to speed.

Dan

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To IMA Z06 & Sigung86

It's a hard decision. I am leading towards the Ford that you posted, since its pretty much what I am looking for. Thanks for the post and thanks both for your vote of confidence. I am not as young as I used to be, so it may take a while.

I will definitely fabricate the chassis myself, and use the rear setup from the the C5.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BrianK said:
I think mixing a Ford with a Chevy power plant is generally sick and twisted. I would like to see less of it..

I understand that you have the engines, and if you want to do a Ford.. Sometimes things work out that way.
Hot rodding and stock production cars are totally different. The reason hot rods are mostly Ford is because the Ford was a stronger body, and was constructed of more steel than wood. And, basically gave a much neater and more desirable body style for the hot rodders.

Take a 1930 Chevy and compare it to a 1930 Ford, and every hot rodder would say stay away from the Chevy, because the Ford makes a much better hot rod, due to the structure of the car. It doesn't mean that you can't use the Chevy body, but cost factor would be much more to modify the frame and body. Let alone you will get more termites with the wood. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I am not putting down Chevy. You also have to realize that hot rodding is a totally different ball game. It's the creativity of craftsmen using all different parts from different vehicles to create something unique. If we didn't have these people we wouldn't have some of the designs and mods that we have today.

When it comes to hot rodding, the mentality that "my Ford is better than your Chevy" is non existent. It's not what its all about. Mixing is very acceptable, and is what hot rodding is all about.

I could just picture that C5 rear end exhaust set up, as you watch it drive away. It could really blow your mind. But, thanks for the post. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hot Rods

A fellow Rodder. I have built a"ton of them". Am currently building a 33 Willys Chopped Coupe. Stole the 426 Hemi for my Road Runner, but hope to buy a 528 Hemi when the time is right. Here is a picture of my last 32. I have built/owned 3 Five windows, and 2 Deuce Rdstrs( along with A's,36 3w,2 40cpes,4 40 sedans, etc.)I have also chopped 20 or more cars). Keep me informed on the progress. Any questions, feel free to email me. Just installed a TCI independent in my friends 34 Chopped pic up. The ZO6 is the best "factory Hot rod "I have ever had though. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Hot Rods

Baron said:
A fellow Rodder. I have built a"ton of them". Am currently building a 33 Willys Chopped Coupe. Stole the 426 Hemi for my Road Runner, but hope to buy a 528 Hemi when the time is right. Here is a picture of my last 32. I have built/owned 3 Five windows, and 2 Deuce Rdstrs( along with A's,36 3w,2 40cpes,4 40 sedans, etc.)I have also chopped 20 or more cars). Keep me informed on the progress. Any questions, feel free to email me. Just installed a TCI independent in my friends 34 Chopped pic up. The ZO6 is the best "factory Hot rod "I have ever had though. :D
Hi Baron,

Great looking ride! I know of a couple of hemi's up here, if you want to email me. I want to incorporate the rear from the C5 and use a straight axle front. I think it would be something different . Would like to go with an original '32, but I'm looking into some of the kit cars. Cant' start the jig for the frame yet until I decide which manufacturer and body style I'll use. Could sure use some help with a good manufacturer, if you know of one, for good fit and finish.

I will most likely go with a Chevy small block. I like the style and color combo on the ZZtop car, but I change my mind so often. I figured it will be a winter project, if not started this year, then next year. I know it will take most of this year to jig the frame. I found a wrecked C5 convertible up in Scranton, PA. He said I could have the whole section for $2K which seems very fair. Just have to figure out how to incorporate it onto the body style I want. Well, keep in touch. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought an entire front and rear, hub to hub, not even dirty, right down to the brake cables and sterring wheel shaft, '96 Vette suspension. Picking up pieces here and there...

I want to think I am going to build a 65-67 modernized Grand Sportish ground pounder...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts