Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Carlisle last weekend to make some decisons about what car to buy since I don't care for the C6 Coupe...'06 Z or '04 Z??? Well, I have to say that the new Z is stunning in person! Way nicer looking than any pic that I have seen. In fact, I spent about 2 hours studying the colors/cars that were there :cool: Brought the wife over on Saturday and got her blessing, so I am good to go! Today I had some time to review pricing and the differential between a Canadian 2LZ/polished wheels equivalent at today's exchange rate is $13,500!!! Add tax and the difference jumps to over $15,500!!! That is such BS that I refuse to pay it :flaming: So now what? If I buy a US car and bring it home I voild the warranty. Buy used and I'll likely have to wait a year or more before one comes available and I'll be Vetteless for another summer, so it looks like I'll have to find a mint low-mile '03 or '04 and wait it out. I don't mind paying a little more for a car here in Canada, but not $15K. I'd love to hear other suggestions if any of you have another idea about what to do :cheers:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Zedder said:
I went to Carlisle last weekend to make some decisons about what car to buy since I don't care for the C6 Coupe...'06 Z or '04 Z??? Well, I have to say that the new Z is stunning in person! Way nicer looking than any pic that I have seen. In fact, I spent about 2 hours studying the colors/cars that were there :cool: Brought the wife over on Saturday and got her blessing, so I am good to go! Today I had some time to review pricing and the differential between a Canadian 2LZ/polished wheels equivalent at today's exchange rate is $13,500!!! Add tax and the difference jumps to over $15,500!!! That is such BS that I refuse to pay it :flaming: So now what? If I buy a US car and bring it home I voild the warranty. Buy used and I'll likely have to wait a year or more before one comes available and I'll be Vetteless for another summer, so it looks like I'll have to find a mint low-mile '03 or '04 and wait it out. I don't mind paying a little more for a car here in Canada, but not $15K. I'd love to hear other suggestions if any of you have another idea about what to do :cheers:
if you buy an 04 z you will just end up blowing a lot of money in friction, i.e. taxes and depreciation. Life is too short. If you get the 06 z you will incur a sting when you first pay the money, but coincidentally that sting will be countered with the joy of driving your 06 z for the first time... you wont regret it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I feel the same way zedder. But in my opinion everything about the car far outweighs the cost of owning a car that literally has race car power. Nothing has ever stood in my way of getting what I want, it is only money, you live only once (my ex-wife says many times but that is another story) so go for it. I really don't believe you will be sitting in that car getting up to highway speed limits in 3.5 seconds, that you will be thinking about the extra 15 grand. Really. Just do it! :)

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Zedder, my buddy is a GM dealer and has a new 06 Zo6 coming in (no nav) for 99K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So dont buy one :eyes: It will just leave one more available for me & my friends.I agree that the price differential is too high,but what are you going to do do when you want one and with only 125 cars coming you will have little bargaining power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would buy an 04 at roughly 1/2 the cost and 85% of the performance of the 06. That way you can enjoy your car that somebody else paid for the highest portion of the depreciation. Then in 2 years you can buy a 06 used for roughly 35% off.

If they didn't release the 06 until 08, you'd still be alive by driving the "old" C5's for another 2 years.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think the problem is we know what the people in the states are paying...that is what makes it sting. I have decided to look at it the other way, to pick up a Viper here is $125k, a 911 is $125+, and neither are the car the Z is. Is $100k a lot for a vette? Yup, but it's a hell of a lot of car too...forget the $15k more you are paying, think of the money you are saving compared to those and Ferraris etc.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Zedder said:
If I buy a US car and bring it home I voild the warranty.
Weird. Is it legal for them to void the warranty just because you bought one across the border? I'd almost have thought that wouldn't be allowed.

What happens if you buy a used car from the States that still has some warranty coverage. Does that void it too?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Mark,

With the first year production of the Z06-c6, don't fool with an American model here with no warranty. You'll be a fool. Running it back and forth across the border will drive you crazy!

The 125 cars coming are ALL sold. The best you can do is get one late next summer in Canada. Most likely the best thing to do if you must have a C6-z06!!

Find a good 03-04 Z06 and buy Canadian. You'll get warranty and get a great car too.

If you chose the c6-z06, buy Canadian and pay FULL price for a car next year. (2nd year production will be better too!)

GET a c5-Z06!!
ENJOY THE RIDE, whatever you get!
-Bill. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys...I appreciate your opinions. A friend of mine owns a GM dealership in Toronto and I spoke with him today, so I know I can get a car if I want but can't expect any discounting until things cool down. I know the car is cool and also understand that Porsche etc. do this same thing price-wise in Canada, but it still pisses me off :flaming: Personally, I don't think that these cars are going to fly out of the dealerships after the first batch of Z06 nuts are done - $100K is a lot of money for a Corvette and I just don't see many Porshe-type people making the switch regardless of the awesome performance. We'll have to wait and see.

If I can find a good deal on a mint C5, I'll go ahead and make the purchase. Otheriwise, winter's coming so I have some time to see what's happening with the C6 Z market come Spring.

Novetteyet: GM stipulates that a car must be registered in the US for 6 months AND have 7,500 miles on it before being imported into Canada for the warranty to be honoured here. I've thought about buying a US car in a friend's name and not declaring the car imported until after 6 months...I'm still considering this :idea:

Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Zedder,

I went to your website,

http://www.67z28network.com/mycars.html

You are a real car guy! You had a z06-02. Why did you sell that one?

I agree with your angle. Wait it out, but get a great deal on a z06-c5 and enjoy the ride now and you'll get your $$$ back later too. But, I bet you'll keep the Z06-c5!! I've heard that the C5-z06 is much more raw than the C6-z06!!! I have both and notice the refinement on the C6-vert big time. But I like the roAR of the z06-c5 more!

Best of luck.
-B. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Smook...yeah, I've had a few cars :cheers: I haven't had time to update the site in a while and don't have any of my other previous Vettes on there yet.

I sold the '02 because I just wasn't driving it enough (read new born and 2 year old) and I was afraid that the prices were going to drop like a rock when the C6 came out...so I jumped ship like an idiot! The car only had 4,800 km on it after two summers when I sold it :bang: Prices did drop last fall, but they appear to have strengthened again...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Zedder said:
Thanks Smook...yeah, I've had a few cars :cheers: I haven't had time to update the site in a while and don't have any of my other previous Vettes on there yet.

I sold the '02 because I just wasn't driving it enough (read new born and 2 year old) and I was afraid that the prices were going to drop like a rock when the C6 came out...so I jumped ship like an idiot! The car only had 4,800 km on it after two summers when I sold it :bang: Prices did drop last fall, but they appear to have strengthened again...
Prices have strengthened since people realize they can't have a C6 Z06! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whitesnake said:
Prices have strengthened since people realize they can't have a C6 Z06! ;)
I dunno. It is fall, gas prices are WAY up and I see a lot of Z's sitting around for weeks/months in the autotrader without being sold.

It's not like there were a million C6 Z's coming so everybody would dump their C5's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last night I ran into a GM marketing type driving a yellow C6-Z06 at our bike hangout place.1st off the car is awesome and sounds great which is what I expected anyways.I hit him up about the difference in our pricing vs the US,and was hit with the usuall corporate crap about pricing it for marketing conditions and how some of our cars are actually cheaper in Canada.What crap!I know that most other manufactures (motorcycles included)including a few Europeans have cheaper pricing for 06 because of a stronger CDN dollar.It might be enough to cancel my order as I am starting to feel as a Canadian,a tube of KY might be needed in order to drive one!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps wait and buy a 1 year old used US Z06? I think there will an excess of cars down south after the first year, if not the first year too.

Would there be any issues with Transport Canada and the US-spec cars that would need remedying?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts