Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of getting a vette for, oh, maybe 2 or 3 years now, but with the new financing options from GM it's looking real tempting. My current car is a Vortech S-trim'ed 1997 Trans-Am. I'm quite happy with my current power, but it does not approach the sort of handling I'd like. My driving is all street. I don't race either track or street, but I like to push the car hard when its safe to do so. (I'm old enough to not be immortal any more ;) ).

So, I'm kinda window shopping for Vettes with the goal of getting one in the next few months if the stock market manages to not completely implode and if I manage to avoid the round of layoffs hitting the country at the moment. I'm just thinkin' about a lot of things and wouldn't mind hearing feedback or other random thoughts from anybody. I'm just babbling here mostly.

First question: to Z06 or not to Z06? I'm torn. I definately want the extra power and handling. The pricetag is a bit steep though - might I be better off going for the Z51 suspension on a standard coupe, with some aftermarket toys to up the power a bit? I'm drawn to the Z06 but the thing that gives me pause is this: I've read some things that claim most of the handling improvement comes from the Z06 tires, and very little from the suspension. The claim was that when you put the supercar tires on a standard Z51 Vette, lap time differences between it and a Z06 become pretty small. So I'm torn on whether to invest in Z06, since I'm already pushing my budget just to get the car in the first place.

Second question: what's up with color choices and Z06? I had my heart set on light pewter, only to discover the "not available on Z06" note next to it. Blech. Ok, I also like Magnetic Red. Ooops! Not available with Z06. Blech! Ok, maybe I could live with black and light grey interior. Ooops, no light grey interior on Z06. What's up with that? Would it kill them to let me pick a color combo I liked, if I'm gonna shell out 50 grand for the damn thing? :)

Third question: anybody heard rumors of what might be coming for '03? I love almost everything about the current Vette, but if a new one was just a year away that had either better interior materials, or some better styling to get rid of the, err, huge ass :), I might consider waiting a year.

What else should I be thinking about? What sort of options do I have for low budget performance mods on a Z06? I live a ways above sea level so I lose 15-20% of my power due to elevation. That can take a big bite - we're talking a 60 HP drop or more on a 400 HP car, so eventually I'd like to do something to make up for that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome!!

novetteyet

First I would like to welcome you to the forum!! :cool:

Z06 or not Z06??

Well, I can only give you my experience. I've driven Vettes for 25 years and was quite frankly getting bored with them. :roll: When the Z06 was introduced, I developed a wholer new attitude. :D This car is a no :bs: Vette!! Tires alone are not going to make a regular C5 keep up with a Z06. The Z06 is a total package!!

Check out the media section, and download the 2002 owners video...you will be impressed. :)

As far as available colors go, I've never figured that one out either. Good luck in your decision, but if you want the BEST VETTE YET , go with the Z06. Just ask our members who have traded off their Coupes and Verts for a Z06.

As far as an '03 goes...don't look for much of a change, and there will be no Anniversary Edition 2003 Z06.

J

·
0 Posts
buying new right now...

No question..order the Z06!!!

Good luck...an amazing car..

Check out the vendors from this site..they have the best prices on the cars and....take delivery b/f oct 31st to take advantage of finacing.

JMO...

the only thing I would say is that if you are at such an altitude that eats so much power..you may be better off with your current ride..

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Mr Yet:

Welcome!

I have had 4 new C'5 Vets, and the Z06 is the only way to go.
If budget is a concern, why not buy a used '01 Z06? You would be able to save thousands on a car still under factory warranty, save on the sales tax, no lusury tax, and your insurance rate would be lower than a new one. You could probably find left over new '01 Z's at some dealers, and based on today's situation...it is a buyer's market! Good luck!

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for the comments. I can definately stretch to get the Z06 - I think mostly I just needed to hear somebody say that it's worth the extra money. But if it's a difference that shows up in street driving, more precision and so on, I am there!

For the altitude thing - yeah that is why I got the blower for the Trans-Am. That car felt downright sluggish without it. But power aside, I think the suspension and handling in the Z06 will be worlds above my current car, and even normally aspirated, the power should be above what I get now, in a lighter car.

Delivery by Oct 31? That's a bummer - i was hoping I just had to _order_ by Oct 31. If I have to take delivery by then, it could be problematic. I always preferred ordering cars rather than buying off the lot, but then, there are so few options on the Z06 that I might be able to find exactly what I want on the lot.

Anyway thanks :)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
novetteyet

Welcome aboard, your headed in the right direction, Definely check our forum vendors as I belive with economics right now some are in stock......................

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome to the Z06 Forum!!!!!!!!I have a nice 2000 convertible with many things done to improve performance and handling, it does not compare to a Z06 in anyway except in looks. The Z06 is a mean car that handles very well right out of the box, I owned 5 Trans Am's and loved them all but the Z06 is a great car, if you can get one. :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
1st time Vette owner

I am a first time Vette owner---and to tell you the truth---I feel like I could give Jeff Gordan and Dale Jr. a run for their money.

Simply stated---this is not a car----this is a racecar.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: 1st time Vette owner

jnation said:
I am a first time Vette owner---and to tell you the truth---I feel like I could give Jeff Gordan and Dale Jr. a run for their money.

Simply stated---this is not a car----this is a racecar.
Man.... I could not have said it better (Except for the "first time Vette owner thing (#4)) :D

BUY THE CAR......You will not be sorry:D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Z06 or no Z06!

No Vette Yet,

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, I have to agree w/ the other guys that the Z06 is the way to go. You will find alot of information and good advice here. And there is no better advice than from guys who have been where you are at now!

Being a dealer I can also speak first hand about the huge differences between the 2 models. I have seen seasoned Corvette buyers acting like a kid at Christmas. The reason why is that the car is so much more that a Corvette!

Now you sound like you are more than a Sunday driver, so my best suggestion to you is to go ahead and step up to the Z06.
As far as spending more $$$, that's a no brainer to. I see it all the time when a customer settles for a car and then down the road they are unhappy with the car, and it end up costing them more to get out of it than if they would have bought the one they wanted originally.

Anyway,

Tha's just my humble opinion...I know you will make a good decision!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Novetteyet,

If you move fast I think you still may be able to take advantage of the low rate GMAC financing incentive. BTW, such "in-house" GM financing on a new Vette is seldom offered, if ever for as long as I can remember. Also, you're right, the economy is getting worse, all bets are off on job security and the stock market. I predict more aggressive dealer price discounting is not far off. By Winter, I'd expect discounts to become commonplace.

Since the Z06 is not offered in the color combos you prefer, and many are similar as far as available optional equipment, you should be able to find one in a standard Z06 color in your area. I suggest searching via the www.gmbuypower.com website.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What you need to do is post your location so that you can find someone from this forum that lives near you. Then, that person will take you for a ride.

Your mind will be made up for you within 4 seconds, guaranteed. :cool:

·
Registered
528 Posts
NoVetteyet,

Same thing happened to me. I was torn between a coupe and the Z06. At the time I was shopping, they discounted the coupe like crazy ($4,000 off MSRP), but none on the Z06. The different in price after the discounts on the coupe compared to the Z was almost $10,000. But, that didn't stopped me from getting in a Z. Drive the Z, you'll never want to step foot in the coupe again, if a total performance package is your main concern. I had never looked back, and had never regret paying more to get the best.

The market now is different, you can get an awsome deal on the left over 01's Z06 plus 0% interest from GM. You don't have a reason not to get a Z.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've never driven in a coupe or a vert so I really couldn't tell you 'bout the differences. I'll let the others here do that.

It was my first Corvette, I'm glad I got her. The smile you get when you fire her up in the morning just doesn't fade. That pissed off look you have after your idiot boss has pissed you off gets replaced with a smile when you turn out of the parking lot and nudge the throttle a bit. Its just awesome, get it, you'll be glad you did.

I think some here have misunderstood your questions 'bout the 03... Its not going to be the C6, that comes in 2004, and a Z06 model should be available in 2005. However, I have heard some rumors that the Z06 will be available in more colors next year, so if you have your heart set on a non-z06 color, maybe you'll want to wait a year. Or, buy one now, enjoy it for a year, and sell her off to someone next year and get the color you want. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mr. Novetteyet

I've driven a 01 coupe and my 01 Z and there are some major differences. Z is much better. The coupe is not bad but it is no Z. As far as handling, let me tell you the following. Prior to the Z I had a 98 Trans Am. There is 180 offramp that I have to take everyday. It is rated at 45 mph. With the Trans Am I could take it at 62 mph before the car started to loose it. With the Z I've taken it at 80 and still was not close to breaking loose. I have yet to have the active handling kick in on a corner. If you are after handling the Z is the only way to go.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, ok, I'm sold on the Z06 :). A Z06 it shall be. If nothing else, just being able to say I have a better power/weight ratio than a $110,000 911TT (and probably out corner it as well) is worth it :)

What sort of discounts are available on 2002's now? I'm thinking of asking for 4k off MSRP, although I dunno if I'll be able to find a dealer that'll bite at that. I haven't payed attention to Vette prices for a while - last I was keeping track (coupla years ago), normal non-Z06 coupes were going for around 2K under MSRP. Have things come down any? Do I stand a chance of finding 4k under? I gotta get close to that, and close to 10K tradein on my current car (which is a 96, not 97 - brain fart before) to make this work. I'm hoping I'll get 10K on the trade in - I've pampered this thing since it was new. Bluebook value is around $9500, plus it has the blower (cost $4k new), but I dunno if dealers will view that as a plus or not for a tradein car :).

It'll be a week or two yet coz I have to have to get a few minor things touched up on my current car (somewhere along the line I ran over some not-yet-dry road stripe paint, and got nice yellow splatter on the aqua paint of the lowest left side body panel, grrr... maybe that would be one advantage of driving a yellow car :) )

·
Registered
155 Posts
novetteyet, whereabouts do you live? I'm @ 6000+ ft above sea level here in Colorado Springs; if you're nearby, I wouldn't mind letting you take my altitude-smitten dog for a spin! ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Novetteyet, I agree with Raj, please tell us where you live. I think you'll find that can help you receive better intelligence on prices and such.

IMHO $4k under sticker, although not unheard of, is a fairly aggressive selling price almost anywhere in the country, even now with economy teatering on a cliff. I think many dealers will hold out for more given the availability of low GMAC financing until the end of October. If you are willing to take delivery in the Winter months, I think you'll have a better shot at a deep discount. And it wouldn't surprise me if GM extends the super low financing or offers it again if the economy continues to show sign of going over the edge.

The very best deal by far that may still be possible right now is to locate a leftover '01 probably selling closer to $6k under (in effect $7.5k under because of the price increase for 2002), and those cars qualify for 0% over a full 60 months if I'm not mistaken.

If you're not a "bragging rights" kind of guy, I think the 2001 is still the most B4B out there barr none but finding one still available at this late date will be a real challenge.

As far as trading your car at decent price, forget about it. Dealers usually are willing to give no more than low wholesale blue book.

Having said that, I hasten to add this is a very bad time to sell anything privately, but you may be able to get closer to what it's worth on the retail market. No guarantee either way.

For the same reason getting a good discount on a new Z06 is becoming more probable, you'll have to consider lowering your asking price to get rid of any used car.

The blower, IMO, will make it even harder to sell. And no offense, but I'd be very surprised if you get any more for the car with it than without it and possible less for the latter. It has been my experience that most aftermarket mods become a liability when it comes time to sell a car, especially performance alterations. Like it or not, it's just the way it is. Most buyers will be suspicious that the car has been abused (or raced) in the presence of obvious aftermarket engine mods.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Raj - I'm in nothern CO, up near the Fort, 'bout 120 miles north of you or thereabouts.

Dsinned - I suspect you're right on all accounts. That's kinda what I was afraid of on the trade-in. I wonder if I'd be better off getting the blower removed entirely, reinstall the original NA stuff (which I still have in a box somewhere), and selling the car without. I'm not up to doing the work myself, and I'm not sure what parts would be needed to reinstall the thing on another car, but somebody somewhere has got to be looking for a cheap Vortech. At least the impeller should be reusable, and I bet also the aluminum intake, FPR, and other goodies. The thing's barely got 8k miles on it - should be harldy any wear. (The whole car has only 15k and change, which has got to be worth something).

I had those very thoughts when I bought the thing - that when it comes time to sell, people will figure it's been abused. Which it hasn't at all - I always let the engine warm up to operating temps before shifting over 2K rpm, change oil every 3k miles with Mob1 synth, always garaged, not driven winters, and I don't even really get on it hard all that often. I just like to have it on tap, so to speak, and every once in a while on-ramps to I-25 are pretty fun :)

Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

Also thanks for making me feel welcome here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts