Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice after giving the car a little workout---I can smell a slight burning smell---I have no idea what it might be. I have 1100 miles on it so far. Is there an undercoating that might be giving off the smell?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My guess is that it's a hot clutch. My Firebird used to do that when it was new. I think it's normal.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Same smell here after a "work-out" 1,200 miles on car. I think this is normal - hell my ZR-1 did it after "spirited" driving and it had 30k on the clock...

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
It's probably nothing more than the various metals getting hot and cooling down with a bit of manufacturing oils burning off as well. Run the car and then give it a "cool down" period before turing it off and see if that helps. Bill;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jnation-
I had a burning smell too. I thought it was undercoating or paint burning off. Turns out it was a wiring harness hitting the passenger side exhaust manifold. This almost disabled the car, with 1700 miles on the odometer, as it started bucking and stalling due to a burned crank trigger sensor wire.

I'd swing by the dealer and ask them to check it out. Took very little time to fix on my particular car and fortunately I was 5 miles from home. It would have been a real bummer to have it happen far from home. Since the repair, I no longer have the smell.

When your car is at normal operating temp, shut it off and open the hood. I could distinctly smell the burning odor when I put my nose down by the dipstick, but unfortunately could not spot anything wrong before the damage was done. Good luck!

Scott:cheers:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It is the clutch most likely, perhaps in combination with the traction control whcih you probably had on. Your car is new so the cluch is not fully be seated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts