Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
arial arial arial

I would like to know if other zee heads are seeing an unusual consumption of oil, along with very thick black powder residue in all 4 exhaust pipe tips....my 2001 Z06 has 5000 Kilometers, (3000 miles for you yanks) on it, and I feel that consumption should be coming down from a litre (almost a quart) per 300-400 miles to something much better.

Does anyone else share this "problem" if it is a problem, or does real hard driving just burn up mobil 1 synthetic like crazy.

The car seems to be performing well, and rice rockets still try and fail to catch up.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Based on the above I'd say you have a burner........Keep an eye on it for the next 1000 miles, if it does not improve, you'll have to get it re-ringed........warranty of course.......

I would consider a quart every 1200-2000 miles more normal for hard driving......

JC

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 02 burned about a little less than half a quart in 1300 miles.
The car had its firtst oil change at 1300 with no consumption and i checked at 2600(gettin ready for a change at 3000) and noticed the dipstick red in the middle of full and add. I gave the car maybe 5 quick takeoffs a week on average so i dont know how much that would effect it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
zed06 said:
arial arial arial

I would like to know if other zee heads are seeing an unusual consumption of oil, along with very thick black powder residue in all 4 exhaust pipe tips....my 2001 Z06 has 5000 Kilometers, (3000 miles for you yanks) on it, and I feel that consumption should be coming down from a litre (almost a quart) per 300-400 miles to something much better.

Does anyone else share this "problem" if it is a problem, or does real hard driving just burn up mobil 1 synthetic like crazy.

The car seems to be performing well, and rice rockets still try and fail to catch up.

I have the exact same symptoms. It is going to the dealer this week for new rings (they finally came in). I got a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty out of them for the hassle too.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The black soot is not abnormal although I would wonder how thick you're saying it is. A moderately light film of carbon buildup is OK. As for the oil consumption, there have been numerous posts on that topic...sounds like yours is excessive. Do you operate the engine often in the 4000 to 6000 RPM range under light loads?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Another strange thing about the Z....I've never heard of running synthetic oil in an engine during break-in. For years this was believed to be a bad thing due to the higher lubricity of synthetic lubricants. I firmly believe that synthetic oils should not be used untill after the break-in period. Why all of a sudden is this practice OK?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
burning up the oil!

Well after the all the great advice, I went to see the dealer today, and they have put me on an oil monitoring schedule to determine consumption.

They also informed me that the General has issued a bulletin for Z owners who complain about this problem, to learn how to read the dipstick levels....DUH!:guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

·
Registered
528 Posts
kh24 said:
My 02 burned about a little less than half a quart in 1300 miles.
The car had its firtst oil change at 1300 with no consumption and i checked at 2600(gettin ready for a change at 3000) and noticed the dipstick red in the middle of full and add. I gave the car maybe 5 quick takeoffs a week on average so i dont know how much that would effect it.
How many qts did you put in at your oil change? I heard that 6.5 qts only bring your oil level to half way on the dip stick. Lots of owners had been wondering, is it 6.5 or 7 qts that actually bring the level to max (full).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took it to the dealer and they charged me for seven quarts and it red full on the dipstick when i took it home.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
VTR,

Only the Special LS 1's, and LS 6 engines...( all that come with Mobil 1) are affected by this.

The problem with breaking in these with "Organic", motor oil, is that it AUTOMATICALLY will void your warranty.........

That said, the Z's engine, and oil usage problem has been determined that the rings are to blame, along with WE the owners......not knowing how to drive, and NOW, from not knowing how to read a dipstick..........:roll:

One has to wonder?????????................How did we ever get enough education to make enough $$$ to be able to buy them to begin with( That is, since WE can't read).

Do any of you have a drivers lic???:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Cvette

To remove the original filter, and oil........in case there is some garbage trapped in the system, typically a precautionary measure......I did mine @ 1500.......most do theirs at 500..........;)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: VTR,

It will only void your warranty if your dumb enough to tell them about it. For years I have worked on high performance motorcycles. Running synthetic oil in them during break-in prevents the rings, cylinder walls, and transmission parts from wearing in properly. The engine doesn't get "broken in". During the break-in process, these engine componants wear more rapidly than during any time in their life. "Breaking it in" is the operators way of allowing it to happen under very controlled conditions. (rpm, speed, load limits etc.) so that none of these critical parts are subjected to excessive loads during this accelerated wear process. Many synthetic lubricants are so slippery, that they prevent this from happening. When I first read about this oil consumption thing, 3 things jumped up and bit me....synthetic oil + new engine + only a 500mi break-in. Ask any old school auto mechanic what that equals and I'd bet they would say improperly worn in rings caused by hard running an engine that wasn't broken in yet. I'm sure there are those that disagree with this but consider this...
I'll bet that the 01 owners that aren't having oil consumption problems, probably took it easy and didn't play Speed Racer immediately after break-in. Synthetic lube in a new engine...I'd double the break-in period. Just my dumb opinion.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Cvette2002z06 said:
What's the point of changing synthetic oil at 3000 miles?Makes no sense to me......
Theoretically, synthetic oil never needs to be changed. In reality it has to be changed because combustion by-products leak past the rings and valve seals diluting or poisoning the oil with all kinds of nasty stuff. Wanna hear something really scary...modern jet aircraft never have their oil changed...they just add more when it gets low. Synthetic oil used in jet engines don't have to deal with combustion by-products making its weay into the oil.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I took it easy until about 650 miles, then got on it once in a while. Before I changed my oil at 1300 miles, I checked the dipstick. It was 1/4 the way down from full. After changing the oil and 350 miles later, I checked it last sunday morning cold, and it was down to add! I put in 6.5 quarts at the change plus filled up the filter. I put a quart in her and noticed my oil pressure was running 37 at idle, and up to 56 on WOT. I didn't drive it and will check the dipstick when I get home tonight from work. Kinda weird going from not burning any during break-in to losing a quart 350 miles later after the oil change :-?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
MSiska said:
I took it easy until about 650 miles, then got on it once in a while. Before I changed my oil at 1300 miles, I checked the dipstick. It was 1/4 the way down from full. After changing the oil and 350 miles later, I checked it last sunday morning cold, and it was down to add! I put in 6.5 quarts at the change plus filled up the filter. I put a quart in her and noticed my oil pressure was running 37 at idle, and up to 56 on WOT. I didn't drive it and will check the dipstick when I get home tonight from work. Kinda weird going from not burning any during break-in to losing a quart 350 miles later after the oil change :-?
Keep in mind that the oil pan on these things is flat. If you dont check the oil every time with the car parked in the exact same spot, it can give you strange readings. Also oil temp will affect your readings a little. Check it at the same temp all the time. The easiest way to see if you're really burning oil is to have someone follow you on a spirited jaunt and look for the tell-tale blue smoke, especially while shifting. If it's not dripping on the ground, there's only one other place it can go...out the tail pipes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just got done putting the 3000th mile on my 01 Z. I drive the car very hard and must say I redline the car everytime I get into it and thats why I bought it. Just checked the oil and having had my first oil change at 700 miles it has hardly lost any oil. I used to own a 2000 C5 conv A4 and it lost about 1 quart every oil change and I think my Z is presently about the same. I was pleasantly suprized.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
VTR

"Only if you're dumb enough to tell them................".

WRONG..........;)

Tech's KNOW the difference between an engine that has had organic in it.........it will be, as you said.............more worn.

A very obvious sign, scufffing, and wear.......not seen with Mob 1.

Being from the old school, I agree with your way of thinking.......
I think a lot of the TIME requred to break in an engine could be shortened, by using organic 1st time out..........

Except, it doesn't take over 500 miles to break in an engine with organic......IF it done properly.....much less in most cases.

The question at issue here, is not whether synthetic should or should not be used........it's a moot point.

GM, has already ADMITTED to a major FOPAH, and then tried to place partial blame on Z owner's.....

Seems they ( somehow) forgot, on MOST
sports cars, folks go through the gears, and a LOT of folks come back DOWN thru the gears..........( that's what gears are for, they seem to have forgotten)

Also, in town driving, REQUIRES you to say, start in 1st, and keep it there for a half block sometimes..........this gets the R's UP, and causes their" Ring Flutter",( I call it BS), but lets for the sake of argument use their terminology:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts