Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out what was wrong with my car, I busted a valve spring and that bent a valve. I am not sure how that happened since I was in rush hour trafic and doing about 30mph. either way here are some pics.

WHO CAN GUESS WHAT I AM PLANNING TO DO MUWA HA HA HA

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Man...that sucks! At least you found it before it destroyed the motor. What are the plans for the new motor? :guiness:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Polar Bear said:
i did not do the work my mechanic did and i am sure he checked the pistion

plans are TOP SECRET

Top secret plans are ghey! ;) :rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Yet another stock motor with a broken valve-spring?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
It seems to have become more common that is comfortable.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cannot anwser that, CLEARLY you have more knowledge on engines thatn I do

All i know is that it happend while i was right around idle in havy traffic. my folks have been going to the same mechanic since i was 15 (almost 10 years). he has not mentioned it to me. i will post pics of the pistons right now and you can tell me what you think, i will ask him directly tommorrow

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
right side, is 5678, 8 being closest to firewall

I would have the piston replaced too, it probably will get f'd up later on and you'll have to drop the cradle and do the job again, been there recently

Problem was that Manley had recall on aftermkt valve springs and these broken in the car. Went w compcam valve springs and titanium retainers

Job is like 20 hrs to do one piston, not sure how much to swap out all valve springs, shouldnt be more than a few hrs...

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
incorrect sir. still the same as all previous SBC motors #5 is the third one back on the driver's side.

The other big ignition story with Gen III is a different firing order. Gone is the time-honored 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 sequence. This new engine fires 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. The cylinders are numbered the same: left bank: 1-3-5-7 and right bank: 2-4-6-8. The reason for the new firing order is better idle stability and less vibration.

·
Registered
27 Posts
gmblack3 said:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82589&highlight=spring

Polar Bear, If the valve is bent, how could the piston not be damaged unless the rocker arm broke? Just thinking out loud.
the valve will not bend if the rocker broke. the piston had to hit it. it was a tiny enoug hit to bend the valve but not mark the piston. piston should be fine if you do not find a defined mark. even if you do, it only hit it enough times to bend it out of the way. the valve is more forgiving than the piston is.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Is it just me or are some of those springs in those pics look yellow and some brown, What is the reason for that? Need the "rest of the story"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts