Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else collapsed a valve while driving the speed limit on the highway? This happened to me with my wife in the car or she would'nt believe the story either. I was running 68 mph on the Interstate with the cruise control set. Gm warrantied everything and She runs as good as new. My car had 28k on it when it happened and I have since put 1500 miles without the slightest problem. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Whats the public opinion on new tires, Kuhmos, F1 SCs, BFGs or any other brand? Any recommendations? Im thinking of going to 305/35/18s on the rear.........
thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
125 Posts
What were the symptoms?

Hasn't happened to me.. yet, touch wood. But Im right at 28k now. Dont jinx it dont jinx it dont jinx it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Clint,
Welcome aboard!
Busted valve springs are fairly rare, but I have read about a few cases.

Tires are always a hotly debated topic. I have used both the F1 SC and the Kumho Ecsta MX and think both are great tires. The F1 SC is going to be hard to beat in the dry, but many others are better in heavy water as the F1 SC doesn't channel water very well. By my seat of the pants, the Kumho Ecsta MX is almost as good as the F1 SC in the dry and better in the rain, but much less costly. I actually have a set of those on my street rims. Haven't tried any of the others. :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Valve spring

Vrrooom said:
What were the symptoms?

Hasn't happened to me.. yet, touch wood. But Im right at 28k now. Dont jinx it dont jinx it dont jinx it.

Honestly, there were never any symptoms or warnings. Just kind of a freak part failure. I don't race excessively so my car isn't driven harder than it was made to be. I haven't abused it, maybe just the tires on occasion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires

Subdriver said:
Clint,
Welcome aboard!
Busted valve springs are fairly rare, but I have read about a few cases.

Tires are always a hotly debated topic. I have used both the F1 SC and the Kumho Ecsta MX and think both are great tires. The F1 SC is going to be hard to beat in the dry, but many others are better in heavy water as the F1 SC doesn't channel water very well. By my seat of the pants, the Kumho Ecsta MX is almost as good as the F1 SC in the dry and better in the rain, but much less costly. I actually have a set of those on my street rims. Haven't tried any of the others. :cheers:

I was leaning towards the Kuhmos of course due to cost difference and I heard they wear better and are quiter. But you brought to my attention another tire concern: What drag tire do you recommend, BFG Drag T/A?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
TCSZ06 said:
What drag tire do you recommend, BFG Drag T/A?
I've seen a drag strip. Watched a drag race. Even been on a drag strip in a road race. Never done it though.

Lots of guys on the forum have though. You might need another post to get their attention to tires vice valve springs. Or try a search for "drag strip tire" or something similar. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aborad the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts