·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buyers Beware - JIM CADLE III

Hi Folks -

Just FYI to my Corvette friends -

Buyer Beware JIM CADLE III...

I bought wheels from this gentleman based on the info in this original quote in the C5 Z06 forum at Corvetteforum.com....

ILL.ICEMAN said:
I HAVE A SET OF CHROME Z06 WHEELS. I HAD THESE CHROMED WHEN I HAD MY FIRST Z AND HAVE NOT HAD THEM ON SINCE 2002.
THEY ARE EXCELLENT .I WOULD SELL THEM FOR 600.00. THEY ARE IN WEST CENTRAL ILL. :smash: :smash:
link where original post can be found...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1028406&page=2

ILL.ICEMAN sold me the excellent chrome wheels -

I drove two hours and arrived in Griggsville Illinois at 9:30 pm to pick up the excellent wheels. It was dark, sleeting, and Jim Sabine sent his "secretary" to open his garage to allow me to view the wheels.

Shame on me - they were very dirty, but Jim had assured me they were perfect - excellent was his written description...so I took them after verifying they are OEM GM rims (they are).

However, after I drove them home (arrived home at midnight) and cleaned one of them up the next day - ooooopps - not excellent at all....

Here are pictures of them (not dial-up safe for detail...) I posted for Jim so that he could see if he wanted to make it right.

http://www.iammoon.com/jim/

You can be the judge - just wanted to let others know that if you do decide to buy from this *gentleman* - buyer beware - don't take his word - look very closely at any item as his stance will be "You took them - I didn't force you".

Email text between Mr. Cadle and myself:

From Jim after I told him the wheels were pitted beyond my ability to use them:
ANDY I AM REALLY SORRY THAT THE WHEELS DID NOT MEET THE SPECS YOU HAD FOR THEM.
I DO FEEL THAT I DID NOT SELL YOU SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT PRICED SO THAT YOU WOULD GET A FAIR DEAL.I KNOW YOU FEEL YOU COULD NOT LOOK AT THEM BUT I GUESS THAT I FEEL I DIDN.T TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT THE WHEELS THAT WAS NOT TRUE.
I WOULD SUGGEST SINCE THE WHEELS ARE A GOOD PRICE THAT YOU HAVE THEM RE CHROMED AT A PLACE OF YOUR CHOICE. THIS SOULD GIVE YOU A WHEEL THAT THAT IS LIKE NEW AT A GOOD PRICE.
HAVE A GOOD DAY. JIM
my reply:
Hi Jim -

You told me that the wheels were perfect. You told me "They are perfect - never hit a curb or anything."

I could live with the inside of the wheels being so poor, but the outside is why anyone would want chromed wheels.

I think you might not have known that the wheels were in such poor condition, or you would probably have told me.

However, since you are essentially telling me that I am stuck with them, perhaps you really did know how poor they were and now feel that you found your sucker.

I can buy brand new chrome Z06 rims for $600. Your price was fair - for wheels in good shape, not for the VERY POOR condition these wheels are in.

I do not want these wheels and want my money back.

You should honor that request since you sold me wheels that I cannot use.

If you choose to attempt to stick me with these, I will take action to correct this.
Jim's reply to the above:
I AM SORRY YOU FEEL THIS WAY. I TOLD YOU THEY HAD SET IN THE GARAGE FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND WHEN I PUT THEM AWAY THEY WERE IN GOOD SHAPE.
IT IS TOO BAD YOU DON,T REALIZE THAT YOU SHOLD HAVE INSPECTED THEM AND NOT TAKEN THEM IF YOU DID NOT LIKE THEM.
I DID NOT TELL YOU TO COME IN THE DARK .THE GARAGE HAD LIGHTS. SORRY FOR YOUR MISTAKE. THESE ARE USED WHEELS THAT WERE NEW IN 2001.
AGAIN I AM SORRY BUT I FEEL I DID NOT IN ANY WAY MISLEAD YOU. I ALSO FEEL THAT WRE UNDER NO PRESSURE TO TAKE THEM AND PAY US FOR THEM.
REGARDS JIM
I have since sent Jim my final email - asking what skin it is off of his :cen: to simply take them back.

In reply, Jim (ILL.ICEMAN) had this to say...

Sent: 3/21/2005 10:19:05 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re: wheels
I REALLY WONDER WHO THE DUMMY IS HERE.OH WELL'
I guess I am kinda stuck with these - just wanted my corvette friends to know about old JIM CADLE III....and Buyer Beware.

He is currently trying to peddle a CTS - looking to trade for a Z06...I am sure his CTS is in EXCELLENT condition... :bang:

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Sorry to say this but, you should have looked at them better. I would have done one thing different than Jim...I would have given you your money back but, it's still your fault for buying wheels that you inspected and bought. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
if its worth your time research suing him for breach of contract/ neg/ intentional misrepresentation/ fraud in small claims . . .

i am not the authority, but i would venture a guess you may have a reasonable time to inspect . . . the law may not be as rigid as you assume

i will not give you any advice, but it may be worth looking into . . .

n/m

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
sand...black powder coat..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
case2307 said:
Sorry to say this but, you should have looked at them better. I would have done one thing different than Jim...I would have given you your money back but, it's still your fault for buying wheels that you inspected and bought. :)
hi case -

I did say shame on me for trusting the guy - but he said they were excellent - they were REALLY dirty.

You are right. I should have made his secretary stand there for an hour at 10:00pm while I cleaned and inspected them -

I thought I was dealing with a Corvette brother here - not some jerk.

My bad.

I appreciate that you would have done the right thing and returned my $$$. :cheers:

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
75 Posts
well let me know if youre still in the market for "real" gm chromed z06 wheels that "are" in perfect shape for $899 shipped to your door. and i will gladly refund your cash if there is one speck of dust or anything on them :jammin:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sell'em!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
btw--sabve all your correspondence including his ad

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wvphoto said:
sand...black powder coat..
Hi wvphoto -

Not a bad idea - I'll work on small claims before I do anything to them though.

These were for my wifes 99 coupe - she thought the chromies would be a good choice.

thanks for your idea -

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigmike32172 said:
well let me know if youre still in the market for "real" gm chromed z06 wheels that "are" in perfect shape for $899 shipped to your door. and i will gladly refund your cash if there is one speck of dust or anything on them :jammin:
Hi bigmike -

I saw your post - and it made me wanna cry....

I wish I had seen your post a few weeks ago....

thanks buddy :mug:

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Richard Branca said:
btw--sabve all your correspondence including his ad
Thanks Richard -

Will do!

I am seriously considering taking him to small claims - not really for the money per se, but more for the principle.

I think I could get $450 on these for a core trade-in, but that is beside the point.

If Jim has simple said he would refund partial, or take the wheels back - I would not have an issue.

thanks for taking time to post your thoughts - :cheers:

best regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
155 Posts
He'd get them back thru his window if it was me. If you're going to screw someone, you'd think you wouldn't have them come to your house/employment. Sorry bro, I hope you get something you're happy with and move on. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like a jerk but, it's buyer beware out here. I've bought stuff and didn't inspect it and I've been burned...I figure it's my own fault for not doing a proper inspection. I've also sold a lot of stuff and I've never had a problem...in fact, I would lose money to make it right but, that's just me. Good luck getting it resolved. :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
too bad that chrome krylon spray paint dosent come out the same as indicated on the cap, then there wouldnt be any problems, LMAO! gotta have a little humor to brighten things up!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It quite obvious that he misrepresented the rims, but what in the world were you thinking by not looking at them better. You said that you checked them to make sure that they were GM rims. I say shame on you too. :NoNo:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
IT L GO said:
It quite obvious that he misrepresented the rims, but what in the world were thinking by not looking at them better. You said that you checked them to make sure that they were GM rims. I say shame on you too. :NoNo:

I'll have to agree, sorry. I know it's a hard pill to swallow. If it were me I would'nt waste anymore time with this guy. I'd clean them up the best I could and sell them on ebay, or elsewhere. Take the cash plus a little more and buy what you want. Then chalk the difference up to a lesson learned. And then press on.

I will however say that this guy IMO was and is an ass. He did after all misrepresent the wheels. All he wanted was your money, and didnt care about you after the sale. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I would have given you a full refund, because thats the way I would have wanted to be treated. What ever happened to the Golden Rule?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
case2307 said:
I didn't mean to sound like a jerk but, it's buyer beware out here. I've bought stuff and didn't inspect it and I've been burned...I figure it's my own fault for not doing a proper inspection. I've also sold a lot of stuff and I've never had a problem...in fact, I would lose money to make it right but, that's just me. Good luck getting it resolved. :thumb:
Hi case -

You did not sound like a jerk at all - I appreciate that I can count on my Corvette friends to tell me like it is.

Trust me, I know better than anyone that I should look over items and ask questions in great detail before handing over the cash. Lesson one. :blush:

This was a case of Mr. Sabine being very personable - like an old "Dutch Uncle" - on the phone.

On the evening I called his secretary, she was not at home and I left a message at 4:00 pm or so.

She called me back at 7:00 pm and told me that I could drive down if I wanted to. I needed to take care of it that day or wait another week - another bad on my part - never rush a deal - take your time or walk away. Lesson two :blush:

It was a two hour drive downstate to get the wheels - and of course it was sleeting / raining the entire route.

Keep in mind that Mr. Sabine insisted the wheels were excellent both in writing (his original post ) and over the phone.

When I arrived at the "summer home" of Mr. Sabine, I called his secretary, who then came over to the location and opened the garage for me.

I took my flashlight into the garage and she turned on the lights.

I turned one wheel over and saw that the GM logo was there, and then I looked at the wheels and saw chrome shining from under the dirt.

I was not prepared to (nor did I feel it was required at the time) to clean each wheel and individually inspect them for damage, all the while keeping the lady waiting. I should not be concerned with being a gentleman if I have money on the line. Lesson three. :blush:

I contacted Jim right away the next morning when I found that the wheels could not be cleaned up.

It is at that point the Mr. Sabine had an opportunity, at no cost to himself, to accept the wheels back. If he truly, as he stated in his insincere responses, thinks that the wheels are a good deal at the $600 price, then he would be willing to take them back. He obviously thinks he found a sucker and is not willing to be a decent guy in the matter.

My intent in posting this information was to allow others to judge for themselves if they should or should not deal with Jim Sabine in the future - and I am just presenting facts and data about my experience with this seller.

I will be taking Mr. Sabine to small claims court over this - as his primary residence is now in Ontario, Canada, it will be quite costly IMO for him to travel back to Illinois to defend himself in this action. :guiness:

Best Regards -

mqqn

·
Registered
882 Posts
Many people have different ideas of what quality is. On ebay you learn quick to re-ask every question. What is mint? Are there any scratches, dents, dings or rust? You would be surprised on the answers or lack of responses that you get. Just raises the flag that if the seller won't answer in writing or evades the issues -- run away. ;)

I won't comment on the other forum, but there are strange people in this world. :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.