Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Ford guy and currently own a 2001 cobra that runs 12.7s with just exhaust and gears.

I am currently seeking a z06 dont ask why I dont know why either...I just want one REAL bad...

What are the typical issues I would look for when looking at one on the lot...once again I am used to looking over mustangs on the lots.

Are there certain year z06's that have problems than others?

I know the 01's are rated the lowest in HP compared to the other years and tend to use oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,096 Posts
Welcome to the site! Congrats on your decision to move up! JK.

Try to find the newest year your able to afford, they get better each year.

Might be a good idea to find one of our members in your area (use "Member Locator" on the left to help) to assist you in checking out a used one...good luck, and keep us posted on your results!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was seriously thinking about the 03/04 cobra but everyone has those and there fit and finish isnt great.

Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
when I looked around before buying mine few months ago, I tried finding the newest one that I could afford but with the lowest miles and maintained properly. I settled for an 02 because it was basically brand new with only 1,300 miles. I bought it couple months ago and never looked back! :)

01's are rated with lower hp however most on here tend to say that they don't feel the difference in real life. Some of the 01's have the oil burning issues but not all. The 01's do not have the heads-up display. 03's are the 50th Anniversary addition but they are the same as 02 except for the emblem. 04's have redesigned shocks which most say they are better. Other then that, you're really getting the exact say car throughout the years...

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I can only hope that you get as lucky as I did. It has been exactly one week today that I found my '02 Z06 while looking at a '05 C6. I was at the time driving a "03 Blk Cobra coupe. All of my friends could not believe Iwas willing to give up my '03. I have not missed the ford for even a second!! Like you said the build #'s on the Cobra is quite high, yet it only took me 1/2 day to find a buyer for mine. I'm sure I will run into him here in town:)
Back to point - good luck with your adventure. Keep us updated!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Zmydust said:
01's are rated with lower hp however most on here tend to say that they don't feel the difference in real life.
Having just finished my Z06 shopping experience I can tell you that the 02+ cars are noticablely snappier than 01. Once you drive an 02 that will be you minimum year to get. Picking up mine Saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Look for the car with the lowest miles you can get for your money. I would look for one with no mods done. Besides that, look for signs of abuse/neglect - like paint, interior, underside, etc. Once you're drivin' you'll be smilin'. :D

Good luck - and welcome to :z:
Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I agree with everyone else here. You need to find the one that is in your price range, with the lowest milage and has been well taken care of. When I was looking for mine three months ago, I found loads of them with low milage on the internet. Bought my o4 with 3,000 on it and its been great since. You will know when you walk up to the right one. :thumb: :usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Welcome to the site!

ExplorerThis said:
I am currently seeking a z06 dont ask why I dont know why either...I just want one REAL bad...
Have you driven a Z06 yet? When you do drive one you will know exactly why you want one so bad. If you have driven one and you still dont know why you want it then you should definately go with a cobra

ExplorerThis said:
What are the typical issues I would look for when looking at one on the lot...once again I am used to looking over mustangs on the lots.

Are there certain year z06's that have problems than others?
Some of the typical issues are:
Leaky rear differentials
Column lock
"Rocking" driver seat
Fuel pump whine (not really a problem)
Crappy battery

Some of the less typical are:
Piston slap
Oil consumption (more common in '01)

For the most part the '01s are the most trouble prone, but they are all that prone to problems...Typical issues for the first production years.

The '02s - '04s are mostly the same, cant really go wrong with any of them. The late '03s and 04s did have a different fuel system that may make it more difficult to go blown (though I would not reccomend going blown without internal mods).

The z06 is a fantastic car, I think you will love it. The '03s and '04 Cobras are a great value and can make much more power for much less money in the cobras, but they just dont 'feel' the same. You feel much more connected to a Z.

Do me a favor, and if you buy a Z go back and drive an '03 or '04 cobra after you have gotten used to the Z, then post impressions.

-Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
:cheers: Welcome...Look in the for sale section of this forum, and other forums...Look for an UN MODDED car, with low miles....Try and find some snob who bought a Z but now wants a BMW or some other snobby car...What a world of difference going from a mustang to a Z you will love it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06

I don't agree with just buying stocker. To me some owner's abuse there cars with they are stock or modified. You can find modified cars with lots of mods and save a ton. It's all about condition condition condition :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
IT L GO said:
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06

I don't agree with just buying stocker. To me some owner's abuse there cars with they are stock or modified. You can find modified cars with lots of mods and save a ton. It's all about condition condition condition :z:

thats true, but one point a raced stocker will be in much better condition then a raced modified, like you say though, condition is the key, if you want a modified already dont look away because you might save some money on parts later on and alot of people that modiefy only do it to know they have the power just in case but actaully never push it...

Good luck, Im a previous Mustang owner too who just had to have a Z06 and loved owning it the last 3 years and 20k miles :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I can't really say I am a Ford guy in the car arena (although I am restoring a '66 fastback). I have owned five Ford trucks, my last one the best an '03 Lightning - which just doesn't make the true truck category in my mind.

I seriously looked at the Cobra - just for the pure cheap hp gains - hell for $600 - ported s/c and increased boost you can have 500 rwhp (no exaggeration a friend of mine does) - but then again it's just another Mustang and image and finish are just not there.

I took out a '03 Z an was so impressed over the performance of my '99 C5 Coupe (which I had modded to 355 rwhp) that I had to have one. I found my '04 mileage was a little high (14,500), but it is a one owner, clean car fax etc. etc.

A performance tuner echoed what has been said here, the later the model the better.

I was told one difference that isn't listed so I am wondering about it's credibility BUT I was told that GM changed the tranny in '04 (or something about the tranny from aluminum to steel?) Can anyone confirm this?

:thumb:


D-Day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
D-Day said:
I can't really say I am a Ford guy in the car arena (although I am restoring a '66 fastback). I have owned five Ford trucks, my last one the best an '03 Lightning - which just doesn't make the true truck category in my mind.

I seriously looked at the Cobra - just for the pure cheap hp gains - hell for $600 - ported s/c and increased boost you can have 500 rwhp (no exaggeration a friend of mine does) - but then again it's just another Mustang and image and finish are just not there.

I took out a '03 Z an was so impressed over the performance of my '99 C5 Coupe (which I had modded to 355 rwhp) that I had to have one. I found my '04 mileage was a little high (14,500), but it is a one owner, clean car fax etc. etc.

A performance tuner echoed what has been said here, the later the model the better.

I was told one difference that isn't listed so I am wondering about it's credibility BUT I was told that GM changed the tranny in '04 (or something about the tranny from aluminum to steel?) Can anyone confirm this?

:thumb:

D-Day
GM went from aluminum shift forks to steel.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the board. There are any number of us Ford guys here that have come over the the dark side, so you are in good company. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found a 02 Electron Blue z06...13k on the ticker...mint condition...8 1/2 30 seconds of tread left on the rear. They want 38k for it and are going to look at my 01 cobra for trade in tomarrow. What do you guys think?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top