Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a Z06 but a bit nervous about oil consumption. I spent the last couple hours reading several posts regarding this and it seems most re-rings are successful... though I still believe that a Z06 should not burn oil when my '95 LT1 TransAm burned none at all.

Does anyone know when (date) or after which production numbers the 01 Z06's had the updated rings?

Second, can this be determined from the VIN?

Lastly, this car will be my daily driver. I will be clocking no less than 16,000mi per year (Los Angeles). I need a reliable car, is this the one?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Brian

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'd get an '02....not that much more $$$.

I've got 27,000 miles on mine and it would burn a quart in 3,000 miles. I drive with a lead foot on the street and track my Z. Just started smokin, so I just wrote a BIG check for a C5R motor....My Z has been reliable.

To the best of my knowledge, all 2001's had the potential for ring flutter. GM reringed 5% of 'em and probabily turned down twice that # for guys like me who modded the engine.

Lots of other improvements on the 2002's.....

A dealer service rep can answer your other questions if no one else chimes in.

HTH, and GOOD LUCK : -)

·
Registered
200 Posts
The oil consumption problem is not a reliability issue unless you let it run out of oil. Mine probably goes through a half a quart every 3K and I drive the piss out of it. Worst part is the back of the car will get pretty dirty after spirited driving.

Everyone says 01's are pieces of crap etc etc. But really with vettes with the exception of maybe an 84 you get the best condition vette in your price range. If you find an 01 perfect with 10K it (mine had 8900 when I bought it last sept.) and an 02 with 22k and a little bit of wear I'd take the 01 all things equal. But that is just me. I've own 4 corvettes and the little crap can get expensive, I'd take condition over features any day. Vettes are great cars you can't go wrong either way.

I've never had an LT1 or LSx car leave me stranded and its all I've owned for the last 10 years, all have been modded and raced so I'd say that is pretty reliable. Only thing I think are paperweights are the 4L60e's but luckily a Z06 will never have that problem :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
you can find an 01 that has been re-ringed by a GM dealer; under warrenty...most 01s after re-ring have had no oil consumption.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response fellas - still huntin'

Any FRC or Z06 sale leads appreciated :thumb: in or near California

brian

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
pvknight said:
Thanks for the response fellas - still huntin'

Any FRC or Z06 sale leads appreciated :thumb: in or near California

brian
Call or stop (better) by and see if Andy at A&A has any leads on Z06's for sale.
http://www.aandacorvette.com/
A&A Corvette Performance
477-A LAMBERT STREET
OXNARD, CA 93036
805-278-4107 or 888-VETTEPRO
805-278-4108 (FAX)
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the same concerns when I bought mine. Somehow I lucked out and got a Z that doesn't burn any. I just drove to Indy from NY, up to Chicago, and back to NY and the oil level didn't budge. I love my 2001 and plan to keep it. Especially since I just found a great tuner by the name of Allstair Oag(Interprep Performance Tuning) in Jamestown NY about 20 miles from my home. :usa: Happy Flag Day! :guiness:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would NOT risk an 01

I'm one of the lucky ones who have an 01 with SEVERE oil consumption issues. It burns 1 qt every 3-400 miles. On top of expensive ongoing oil costs and the dirty rear end, burning so much oil has the potential to carb up the engine upper end, clog the cats, damage the 02s, etc. etc.

Get one with no oil issues, whether re-rung or 02+.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Man, I don't know what to think after all these oil burning threads and polls. All's I know for sure is that the ring job and valley reseal will solve the problem. This car will be a daily driver, however, and I do not have much spare time to go service dept. hopping.

That said, any feedback on friendly dealers in Socal that would peform the OCT and fixes without the runaround?

Thanks for all the help, Brian.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine burns a little oil as well. It's mostly caused from my incessant heel + toeing which results in high RPM and low load, which is the condition that really gets the rings fluttering. I love my '01. Only reason I would want an 02 is for the sexy electron blue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read all about the oil consumption when I was looking for my ZO6..

I ended up with my 01 with 17.5k on it,and have not had it burn ANY oil yet..I guess I lucked out..

I was willing to take the chance on the oil consumption because any comparable mileage/condition 02 was between 32 and 34k $..

I got my impeccable 01 for 27,500 after taxes..

I happened to stumble onto an exceptional deal,but for that kind of savings,I will roll the dice..With the 5-7k I saved,I plan on a supercharger..

Good luck :z:

·
Registered
878 Posts
ok-i have a slightly modded 01, and i'm very happy with it,drive it everywhere,very reliable and mpg is 17-25 and i use a qt of oil every 1600-2000mi depending how hard i drive it
its great,did the TSB on valley cover seal and breather ..
a pic of mine
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/show...91&page=1&pp=15
enjoy your ride

·
Registered
387 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
I'd get an '02....not that much more $$$.
I agree.

You cant tell if it burns oil during a test drive. Not worth the risk. I have an '01 and it burned a HELL-A-LOT of oil before I had the engine rebuilt. Plus, there was a significant difference in the '02s. Probably worth the extra $$.

It doesnt sound like you are, but if you plan on mods any time later that require an engine rebuild, then getting an 01 doesnt matter. But otherwise, I would definitely get an 02+.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
372 Posts
OhOneZOhSiXXX said:
Plus, there was a significant difference in the '02s. Probably worth the extra $$.
Well, it's true that there are a lot of differences; however, if you plan on modding your car, I say go with an '01. The differences as far as the motor is concerned between '01 and '02 is all stuff that I personally decided I would change anyway, like the exhaust (headers), cam, intake, etc. So, if you're going to keep a bone stock vette, I say get an '02. Otherwise, fear not, and find a nice '01 and save some dough for mods :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Though I wish I could, the Z06 will not leave me much money to mod. I'm looking for a daily driver, no time for dealership pitstops... sounds like an 02 may be in order, though the 01's already stretch the wallet thin. Considering FRC's as well - opinions?

Thanks again - Brian

·
Registered
387 Posts
BBaxR6 said:
Well, it's true that there are a lot of differences; however, if you plan on modding your car, I say go with an '01. The differences as far as the motor is concerned between '01 and '02 is all stuff that I personally decided I would change anyway, like the exhaust (headers), cam, intake, etc. So, if you're going to keep a bone stock vette, I say get an '02. Otherwise, fear not, and find a nice '01 and save some dough for mods :cool:
OhOneZOhSiXXX said:
but if you plan on mods any time later that require an engine rebuild, then getting an 01 doesnt matter. But otherwise, I would definitely get an 02+.
:usa:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought my 01 knowing about oil.looked around for a good dealer had the rings done and the engine valley cover done no problems no regrets on my 01.i love her :yeadog:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts