Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shopping for a Z I ran into a dealer who offered to take me to an auction b/c the Z I was looking at was sold. Is this a good offer? Do you think he will charge me a lot over the auction price, or how much should I expect to pay over the auction price? Do they have good cars at the auctions?

Maybe I should tell him what kind of Z I want and he can let me know when its at the auction?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I like to spectate at car auctions, but not especially interested in buying from an auction.

Too many chances of getting swindled.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Depends if you trust the guy. If you know what wholesale prices are, you won't get swindled. Have the dealer provide you with a sales listing of recent Z's that have gone through the auction.

The dealer usually sets the fee prior to buying the car for you, around $750. Make sure he is honest. If he is, he will allow you to walk from the car if it's not exactly as you wish. We have the 2nd largest auction in the US here in Ocoee, Fl and that's how the dealers I know work. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Actually you can find some real sweet cars at auctions. I went to an all exotic car auction in Ocoee, Fl. Some Dealers don't want to fool around with those car kinds of car and take them to Auction. Just because a car is at a Auction doesen't mean at all that it has seen better days. A Dealer has to have a special kind of a license to buy and sell at car auctions. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Have the Dealer take you with him and pick several cars that you like and bid with him. :cheers:

·
Registered
968 Posts
The reason any car is at an auction is because it cant sell wherever it came from. Not a smart way to buy a car. Something is fishy with the car!! Take a mechanic/body shop pros with you. They will find something wrong with 90% of the cars. Just not worth it. Be patient and find a car from a private seller and have it inspected. :guiness: :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
bobby778 said:
The reason any car is at an auction is because it cant sell wherever it came from. Not a smart way to buy a car. Something is fishy with the car!! Take a mechanic/body shop pros with you. They will find something wrong with 90% of the cars. Just not worth it. Be patient and find a car from a private seller and have it inspected. :guiness: :yeadog:
That statement is completely false, but each to there own. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I bought 4 cars from a repo auction the last 2 years...

you have to know cars and be sort of a mechanic, repossed cars means the person didnt have money to pay the monthly bill and let it go so why would they maintain it, some people let it go because its worth less then they owe, you have to be carefull, but you can get good deals if you're good and lucky...

once in the while at the same auction they have donated cars which always seem to be the best deals as far as for a cheap beater car...

I saw alot of good deals but I also saw horrible deals, sometimes if you can get a running car for a couple hundred dollars it doesnt mean its a good deal because by the time you pay auction fees and fix everything for inspection you paid 5 times what its worth in the book, one of the worst was an individual not a dealer purchase a Benz clk 430 convertible with 56k miles for $55k, book on that was $35k and thats if everything is in operation order, with that milage I doubt it would be trouble free, also I think thats how much a brand new one costs, anyway people can get carried away :yeadog:

if you study it well and keep your cool you can get a great deal in an auction especially if everyone else is not paying attention :coo:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The kind of Auction I'm talking about is highend exotic car auctions. Not the clunker kind. If have never been, try to get Licensed buyer to take you. It's a car show all in itself. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
I

if you study it well and keep your cool you can get a great deal in an auction especially if everyone else is not paying attention :coo:
I have had to repos, a Van that was great, and a boat that needed some work (the guy drained the oil into the bilge). Both were great vehicles, and good deals.

Outside of repos, that are a little trickier, auctions have the good and the bad, just like anywhere. I bought the Z on eBay, but knew what i was looking for, took my time, and got a killer deal.

I had a friend that had a dealership. If he took a car in trade that did not fit what he wanted in inventory he would send it to the auction. (sports cars in the fall, for example.) Just because he didn't want to sell it didn't mean it was a bad car. Of course, there are bad cars there.

I would buy at an auction, but I would go to see it first, to see how it operates.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
IT L GO said:
This is a sample of the kind of Auction I'm talking about
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69389 :yeadog:

a totally diffrent kinda of auction I talked about :yeadog: , I always dream of a car like that ending up in the auction I attend so I can snatch a good deal underneat the dealer there :sneaky:

after since I caught an error of milage and picked up a car for 3 times under its value they have been on to me :mah: :p :rofl:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes I agree with any exotic car auction. we have about 4 a year in vegas. Ferraris,lambos,porsche and older muscle cars. But the original question was He is looking for a z06 vette which is not an exotic car. You will find newer vettes at everyday auctions. BUT for any reason they were wholesaled out for auction. WHY because it could not sell where it came from! BEWARE of any vette at any auction!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good points everyone. The dealer would take me to a regular dealer auction and not a repo or exotic auction. I think i'll look around some more before I jump on that boat.

I'm always leary about buying used cars. This is my first.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
bobby778 said:
You are wrong, my friend. Maybe at some auctions, but not the one in Ocoee. The auction guarantees accident free cars with no paintwork. Any problems are clearly noted PRIOR to sale and they are disclosed. :NoNo:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know that when I was looking for my Z I did a lot of carfaxes and it seemed like a lot of cars that were leased ended up at auctions. The dealership I bought my Z from from picked it up from an auction and it was a lease. The car was/is in pristine condition.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts