Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group:

What are the differences for buying a Z06 out of state? Compared to buying one from your local dealer? (eg taxes different? eg. registration different? etc...etc...etc...).

I am planning on museum delivery for sure !

Are there any pros or cons are for buying a Z06 out of state?

I am in Texas, if that makes any difference.

Thanks a lot !
Z49Z06

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
The biggest diff. is you will most likely save a lot of money. You will be charged the same tax and tag and title fees as if you bought from your local dealer. I have many customers in Tx. and my dealer is in Ga. We ship Vettes all over the country. Taking a NCM delv. is not a problem ether. Give me a call when you are ready and I will take care of everything for you.:)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Out of State issues

There are some issues with buying out of state.

If the selling dealer doesn't send in your tax and tag fees promptly, you can be looking at some big fines for late registration($600 in California) Try to find a dealer who issues temporary plates at the time of the sale and lets you deal with your state DMV when you get the car.

Getting the car smog checked can be a problem. Smog station says no test without plates and DMV says no plates without smog test. California requires smog test of all new vehicles.

Some dealers charge big document fees.

Buying a car these days can require up to a dozen signatures. If the dealer insists that these documents be notarized, you can pay as much as $120 just to complete the paperwork.

On museum delivery, the dealer will require payment (or financing) to be arranged in advance. With the mailing back and forth of documents you could wind up paying for the car weeks before you see it. Your registration could be delayed a month or more after purchase.

Ask the salesman if he has done museum delivery before, otherwise you become the test case, teaching him how to do it.

Some local dealers resent owners who buy out of state and this may reflect itself in the service you get on your car.

Make certain the dealer can really deliver a Z06. Some small dealers may never get an allocation.

If you want to trade in your current car, it is much easier to do with your local dealer.

Be sure to check on the refundability of the deposit in the event the dealer can't deliver the car in a reasonable amount of time.

I bought my car from an out of state dealer and some of my points here were painfully learned along the way. I'd do it again, but wish someone had told me about some of these problems in advance. Z06Y Lady :)

G

·
I bought my car out of state because I needed someone to install a passenger side airbag shut off switch with NHSTA approval..

None of the NJ dealers would touch it..

I ended up ordering the car over the phone from a NY dealer..I did the dmv thing..and paid the tax when I registered it..

Just get all the costs of the transactions up front and listed specifically..so there is no communication errors the day of the pickup..

It worked out well for me but I didn't have to deal with the trade in issue.

Now that I have a 99 C5 to trade or sell ..I'm scratching my head going..what a pia..lol

If you don't have a trade in..I think buying out of state is much easier...

Of course I'd recommend one of our supporting vendors ..who are experienced in this..

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I bought and traded out of state. I got what I wanted, when I wanted it, and this was the only way. Next time, Rick D gets the business, and yes, he's out of state for me.

BTW, the Z06 has a passenger airbag cutoff switch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bought mine out of state.

Better deal than anyone in CA.
Smog test with temp plates. (Provided free by dealer)
No hidden charges.
Car prepped perfectly.
Tax and Regs. a push. Paid those when I registered in CA.

Dealer: Bill Estes, Bob Benedix Supporting dealer

Very happy with deal.

Any questions, E-mail me.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: Out of State issues

Z06Y Lady said:
If the selling dealer doesn't send in your tax and tag fees promptly, you can be looking at some big fines for late registration($600 in California) Getting the car smog checked can be a problem. Smog station says no test without plates and DMV says no plates without smog test. California requires smog test of all new vehicles.
As Confucious say, mahrra ov story, don't buy Z06 out ov state if you from Cariffonya:D
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
crose, but no ceegar

fyrcaptain said:

As Confucious say, mahrra ov story, don't buy Z06 out ov state if you from Cariffonya:D
mahrra ov story, don' riv in Cariffonya :D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
No matter where you choose to purchase your Vette (From one our supporting dealers, of course) get the Museum Delivery. You will not be disappointed :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: crose, but no ceegar

Z06Y Lady said:

mahrra ov story, don' riv in Cariffonya :D
I would have that fear of one day it "breaking" off and becomming an island:eek:
:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the information.

I want to do museum delivery. Its part of the whole experience I think. Especially being my first Corvette. :D

I guess I will have to enquire more into how the Smog testing and DMV plate issue works (being an out of state purchased car). Hopefully the dealer will have info about that for me.

I also want to do a custom license plate. I wonder if that throws a wrench into the equation? I guess I will find out.

I suppose it’s not hard to figure out what custom license plate I want to get... :cool:

Thanks again!
Z49Z06

·
Registered
251 Posts
I too purchased mine out-of-state and took museum delivery. All went smoothly, but it does require some patience.

The museum delivery was great, but beware they will try and sell you everything under the sun. I purchased a polo shirt, it took longer to get that then it did the car.

The drive back to California was really a great experience. Just me and the car for 8 days on the road.

G

·
Al_Cruz said:
I too purchased mine out-of-state and took museum delivery. All went smoothly, but it does require some patience.

The museum delivery was great, but beware they will try and sell you everything under the sun. I purchased a polo shirt, it took longer to get that then it did the car.

The drive back to California was really a great experience. Just me and the car for 8 days on the road.
Al ..I agree that 8 day trip back with your new Corvette Z06 must have been something special.

Congratulations on taking the time to enjoy life!

JB

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
WHT ABOUT DELIVERY COSTS???

I did'nt see this mentioned. I talked to a friend who had a good experience buying out of state.....then he told me he paid $1,000.00 for the transportation costs??!!

Rick, is this correct?!

Barrie

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Your friend sounds like bought a car out of a dealers inventory and had it shiped to him. If you do the same thing then yes depending on how far it would be shiped. If you have a dealer order you a car then the plant will have it shiped to a dealer near you at NO extra cost to you. You may come to the dealer and drive the car back your self.:)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
All depends

01ZEE06 said:
I did'nt see this mentioned. I talked to a friend who had a good experience buying out of state.....then he told me he paid $1,000.00 for the transportation costs??!!

Rick, is this correct?!

Barrie
Depends on the location of the car. If it's already built and on an out of state dealer's lot, you can go there to get it or have it shipped to you. The shipping could cost $1000 or more depending on distance.

If you custom order, the out of state dealer can arrange to have the car drop shipped to a dealer near you at no additional shipping cost. Your local dealer may want a few hundred dollars for his time to prep the car for delivery. Z06Y Lady :)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Rick,

It was one of your order's. Car delivered to Van Nuys, Ca.

He had a GREAT EXPERIENCE buying his Z from you and would do it again. I was just taken back when he said he got it for $1,500.00 off, but the delivery cost him $1,000.00

Actually, that made me feel better about my deal, as I paid $500.00 under MSRP from a local dealer, but had no additional delivery costs.

In reading this thread, I noticed that Delivery Costs were not mentioned.

Barrie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts