Hahahahaha.. takes porsche $67,691.00 more than the price of
02 Z06 to beat it by 0.1 second??
Porsche can keep that overpriced POS and i'm signing the paper
at chevy... (if i have 50k that is...)
:D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ok, so for the same money as a 911 TT you could buy TWO '02 Z06's, do head and cam work to BOTH of them and have his and hers ROCKETS!!!!:D Think about that!!!!:cheers: :z:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking at the road test digests in the back of this issue, the 911 turbo is the only car that has a faster 0-60 time!:D :) The Z06 had a better 0-60 time than the Lamborghini Diablo (4.2 seconds) and Dodge Viper ACR (4.3 seconds). The Z06 1/4 time of 12.4 seconds was also quicker than the Vipers (12.6 seconds). I know you really can't compare cars tested on different days, but the comparisons are still interesting given they were tested by the same drivers, same location, same test equipment, etc.:D :cheers:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
BrianK said:
Here's one 2500 lbs 627 HP car that we won't beat:

http://sportmetrics.com/mclarenf1.jpg

Three seat design, driver in the center. It is all carbon-fiber and probably the safest car on the road. Passengers serve as 'deformable crush zones' on either side :D

It is a driver's car with no BS tech. Probably a good thing since you still want everything to work in 30 years.

Notice how the doors interlock with the chassis around the A-pillar.

Sure, it is a million dollar car. Given what I've read about the car, I think it is a fair price.
Hey Brian,
What is this thing? That is one BEAUTIFUL machine! I love that color too! :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Regarding the 911 POS and how expensive it is... let me comment.

Sure it's an overpriced car, but as much as the 911 is an overpriced car, the Corvette is an under quailty built car.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 2002 Z06, but it doesn't take long to realize that it's made a cheap as possible, and that includes the quality of the body panel fit, to the quality of the leather etc.

I don't think the 911 is worth that price, but the vette isn't a high quality built automobile, and is reflected in the price.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Missing the point......

There is a difference in VALUE, and OVERPRICED..............
Porsche's, 911T's are quality, German enginneered great automobiles......
For what you could buy one for in Germany, I think you would agree, they would not be over priced, and would be a good value.

That said, the Corvette Z06, is a marvel of enginneering, and is UNDERPRICED, and is a great VALUE.........
But, we are not talking apples and apples here........

One is made for touring, and has an unusual asthetic appeal............WHO would not want a 911 TT?????.

The other, is a classic blood and guts beast.........and for a lot less, you get less.........but, you also get MORE.........oxymoron, but you get my drift.........

I personally HOPE GM does NOT upgrade the Z's to a level of fit and finish of the Porsche auto's.............

Because then ( assumption here), 90% of folks that now OWN one, would never have a chance to do so............Me foremost included...............
I will settle for Less, and Keep the MORE.................it's the American kind of more.................:cool:

·
Registered
223 Posts
crissakes, the Huns are making Porschie SUV's now...they have truely their souls

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh yeah.. The SUV. But wasn't that going to be powered with the 928 engine with superchargers? Or was it turbos? Sounds good either way..

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Re: Missing the point......

ZO6LS6 said:

I will settle for Less, and Keep the MORE.................it's the American kind of more.................:cool:
Z06LS6,
No one could have defined "The Great American Sports Car" any more succinctly then you did! :cheers: The Vette has always been a true American sports car that an average American could hope to someday own. How many people with a family, bills and a mortgage could ever, or would ever want to, afford a 125K 911TT. But an average guy who goes to work every day, puts some money back, and lives the right way, can own a true piece of American automotive history. God Bless America! (God, I think I hear Lee Greenwood in my head!) :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I shouldn't have call it a POS.. but in recent years..
Porsche's is becoming more and more of rich guy's show-off
toy than a true enthusiast automobile...
For $111,765, you will get a car that has the same interior,
instrument panel and same nose as it's 50k boxster... it really
makes you wonder where all the extra money go???? Must be
that really nice looking 911 TT badge.

And look at the crazy list of available options...
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/porsche/911/turboawd2drcoupe36l6cylturbo6m/options.html?id=lin0016

Yes, it might come with "better" leather and better fitting.. but
does it worth the extra $67,691.00????

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't know if they are POS, if they're built anything like my wifes BMW, a very fine driving auto, and worth the $35k we paid used, including 100k mile warranty.

RE: cost of 911 and options:

Holy moly, there's your added cost, it's in training, inventory, engineering, space, and risk of screwups that i'm sure happen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BrianK said:
And as we have discussed, a lot of mass-produced autos DO get the interior quality right.

Could they have raised the price by mere 1-2K and given us a whole lot more?

Dave Hill said something like 'we'll see the biggest difference in the C6 in terms of interior quality' etc.. I hope that new interior doesn't cost the better part of $35K..
They don't even need to raise the price to give us more.

Not apples for apples but when Newark, Assy was building the Dodge Intrepids, it only cost Dodge about 6k per unit. By the time it got to the consumer, the price was well over 20k. With that in mind, how little does it cost GM to build Vettes? Be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Does that McLaren F1 have some sort of BSM???!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
..wow...even $Million cars HAVE BSMs!!!! Coooool.
-HarleyB (just stirrin' up trouble in the desert)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts