Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, we were discussing the codes, and the diagnostics recordings...........
I think it was you, maybe not, (but bear with me)..........

I alluded to the fact that when you take your ZEE in for repairs(warranty), that the downloaded info..........could be used to DISALLOW a warranty claim.

By showing ABUSE............

You or whoever pposted thiis was a NO NO............
WELL.............

I read a thread today, where a LOCAl was denied warranty repairs for 2 reasons( all downloaded from the little Black Box)..........

One, was...........it showed a 200 MPH recoding.......and (2) Over Rev's.................

Both of which, the owner said never happened, but........HE was denied WARRANTY repair's.............

What say ye??????:-? :-?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hard to understand how a stock Z06 could go 200 MPH. As we've discussed in other threads, that seems almost impossible with stock gearing.

There is hitting the rev-limiter. That should not be a big deal. Blowing a downshift and catching the wrong gear is. That can result in revs significantly higher than 6600.. Which are they claiming??

I'm half way through the Z06 owners tape (really cool to have them in the media clips section!).

Given how much they talk about the track and driving hard, I find it hard to believe GM could deny warranty on a stock Z06 after releasing that video.

If I'm not doing major mods to my Z06, I expect warranty coverage. Hard to believe a judge could deny you after viewing the tape..

But the Ease PC scanner software homepage does mention these parameters:

ABS Telltale Output On
ABS Telltale Shorted
Abuse Management
Adaptable Shift

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian

The guy said.........."We both know there's NO way the car will do 200 mph, without dropping it from a plane".
And the Over rev's.......were just that over rev's.........didn't say whether it was rev limiter..........heck, if that was the case.......NO ONE would get warranty repairs.........:roll:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Some-pins wrong here! :-?

Have you tried a different dealer...GM Service Advisor? I would.
Good luck, and let us know how this turns out.

200 mph? :lol:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yup - I'd call BOOOOOLLLLCHIT! ;) If they're local, have them go to Huffines in Plano, talk to Keith Overturf, he's tha man for this stuff....:)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well,
Honestly, I think who ever did the diagnosis should realize that they are serving Corvette, not Lamborghini.
We all know that c5 cannot do 200, without extensive mods, and that there would have to be some type of codes with this.
I think that whom ever is serving this person may need to recheck his work, as this is not something I have ever heard of. And I am sorry, however, there must be other factors which does not appear here.
What I would do is request a print out of the snap shot that states this. It is possible to retrieve this information, and print it out.
Therein may be your solution, please keep me posted, because I am VERY interested in this, c4c5

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
c4

I read this off a post from corvette.com......
The guy claiming this happened is owner?....of LG Sports, or something like that here in Dallas, and is a friend of Ram Air Tony.........
He said the "Black Box", or WHATEVER it's called SHOWED the codes for the 200 mph data............
If I run across it again, I will post it......forgot the title of the thread.....or maybe Tony will post it here......IF he returns for a visit.

I sell equipment....as in Construction "Heavy".........
We sell a line of machines, that like most ALL new equipment is computerized, for the same reasons everything else is nowadays......diagnostics, and hi tech.........

We can ( our service folks( can download off a machine EVERYTIME a machine was ran in a higher gear than it should have been, and every other thing about the operation of SAME MACHINE.............

I know, we have( factory) declined warranty due to codes and abuse's and or neglect found in that process..........

I call it Big Brother technology.................

Without it, we would never have the new ZEE 06................
So that's GOOD.............with it, like all recording/ monitoring devices comes the inevitable I SPY routine.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI,
Unless the check engine light went on, and a fault code was stored, there is no possible way for a record to be kept.
Sorry, but the details are not all there.
Besttoyou, c4c5:z:hammersnotbuyingit

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
c4

I do not question you ont he c5, I KNOW what our tech's and the computers in the machines will do.....I have been on the customer end of this one more than once.......
What about BrianK's post...........what do these items mean, and where are they stored......
I really LIKE the idea that IF a code DOES not show up on the Diag panel for the OWNER, then(if I understand you) there is no back DOOR, for the tech, or dealer to have MORE info than the owner.......
IF, like I said, that is what you are refering to........;)

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
200mph

HELL....if i can get mine up to 200 ......
i will pay for the rebuild myself..
just have The General Give me a written letter

stating.... since you drove your stock car over 200 we are denying your warrenty...

Yeah Baby !!!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Man these posts are like science fiction:eek:
I knew a guy that knew a guy that said he saw a guy....
they're like Big Foot sightings:D
I think guys just post this to get the s#@t stirred up:eek:
:)
:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fyrcaptain

No, I have better things to do than stir up s*$&%...........so, since you have called me on this....here is the rest of the story.........if you care to follow up.......

Go to www.Corvetteforum.com

Go to C5/Tech Performance, Forum

Go to post " Who has had major engine work done this year?".

Read the dialouge, between Ram Air Tony, and Lou Gigliotti.....
Of L &G Motor Sports
www.gmotorsports.com

This was the reason for the first post in this thread, I thought it may be of interest to some on this site....
No fabrication/s on my part, no troll, just posted as I read it................. :roll:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Details

Hi there,
Well, abuse management is a program within the ABS system, to assist the active handling. Adaptable shift is the used on automatic equipped cars, where the PCM prgram will throttle back the engine under agresssive shifts, to assist in the clutch plate life. ABStelltale, and ABSshorted are just diagnostics for the amber light in your DIC. Even if you do hit the limiter, it will not record anything. Unless you get a type a code, it will not record anything, just like the air bag system, will not record anything, unless it deploys.
I dont feel that you are attempting to stir up anything. In my opinion, we all need to dialogue on issues with c5. This is the only way that different issues get solved. Questioning me?? Dude, question me all you want, I make mistakes, besides all you guys make me sharper at fixing c5.:D
If we ever feel that we know the cars, we stop learning. Icannot tell you the amount of issues that I have learned about in c5, due to surfing the forums. We all have to work together, so lets do it.
Just remember, its when we loose track of the love of the car, that we start bickering, and taking away from the enthusiasm for our belove Corvette.
Besttoall, c4c5:z:hammersatschool

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
C4 / TAMUz

Agreed, but I should have known better to post this without backup.....controversial subjects( and boy this is one) always bring out some naysayers.......;)

TAMUz............
You are right, seems like the Gen is / has dealerships FIGHTING on a lot of claims........not wanting to belly up.......
Not like it used to be....
IF you know the GL fella, give him a call......this would be a real story to hear........200 mph...........hah!!!!!
Everyone knows they will only do 199............:cool:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: C4 / TAMUz

ZO6LS6 said:

TAMUz............
You are right, seems like the Gen is / has dealerships FIGHTING on a lot of claims........not wanting to belly up.......
Not like it used to be....
I don't think so...

If you shift from 5th to second with your foot on the mat it will record a mechanical overrev. Although a mistake, I think such a thing would be well described as "abuse" or "accident", which damage from neither of those type events qualify for warranty coverage.

A dealer should be very sure when denying coverage for a repair. The one being discussed here is not something I, nor I suppose, none else here truly can claim to know the real story.

Can dealer's make mistakes in judgement when looking at a situation presented to them? I would think so.

A warranty is an obligation that manufacturers take seriously. If you get a push back from a dealer, involve the customer assistance folks. There is a process when the dealer and you, or the manufacturer and the customer disagree.

As an aside;
It does amaze me that a small group of folks think a warranty should cover any possible scenario, regardless of the particulars. That somehow an owner of a car could never be at fault, and further that a performance car should hold up to ANY kind of use.

Try this scenario on...

Imagine, if you will, that you are a dealer service manager and a six speed Corvette comes in on a flatbed with several bent pushrods, a couple of broken valves, the timing chain is intact and the pcm reads an 8900 rpm overrev... You, <the dealer>, know you won't get paid for fraudulent warranty claims or for work done that is not the result of defects or workmanship when the failed parts are inspected... what would you do? The 'vette has 9,567 miles on the odometer and is one year old BTW...

Who should be responsible in this scenario? The manufacturer, the dealer, or the customer?

After you decide from these perspectives, now consider who should pay from the perspective of you as a potential future buyer of the same kind of car, with the knowledge that previous warranty costs can figure in the future price of a vehicle line.

Projected warranty expense IS figured into the price charged for a vehicle..it's true for all manufacturers.

Food for thought perhaps. I can tell you warranties are not cancelled in actual fact in the kind of numbers it would appear by threads bantered about on online car lists.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I read Lou's account on the CF and thought it was extremely vague. This guy is a TRAMS-AM racer and serious car head. Somehow I think there is more to this story. Of course I still want a set of his headers ;)

I agree with 1fastdog's comments. If I go open tracking and fry my brakes, I should be smart enough to not even take the car to the dealer and say "my calipers are sticking" or "my dust boots burned off" or "my tires are worn".

You see threads were folks pull this and then complain when they are denied. A recent funny one was when someone recently complained about a dust boot burning off after a track/caliper problem. They thought the General was skimping on the quality of the dust boots. Anyone who has done this for a while knows that they burn off, especially if you don't get a good cool down lap..

On the other hand, if I install big aftermarket brakes I should still be able to get my engine warrantied. Or, if I install headers, I'd hope I could still get most everything else covered. It's the people who abuse the system that cause dealers to give everyone else such a hard time.

Warranty work costs the mfgrs billions a year. It is one of the biggest factors on whether they will turn a profit. That's one of the biggest drivers for getting quality up. It costs them a bunch to pay the dealer to fix even a small problem.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: fyrcaptain

ZO6LS6 said:
No, I have better things to do than stir up s*$&%...........so, since you have called me on this....here is the rest of the story.........if you care to follow up.......
HOLD ON CHUCKY!:eek:

Didn't mean YOU! You're a Z BROTHER! (not that that means that someone here would post a bogus post!)

It was whoever posted it where you got it from.....

And these science fiction posts are in EVERY automotive board around! I have read then from Alfa to Z06. They ALWAYS pop up.
My comment was generalizing this type of post(er)
NOT YOU:)
Sorry I stepped on your tootsies:(

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fyrcap'n

No problemo..........you know how the written word gets discombobulated at times......esp on the net........:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts