Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Z06 and the doors keep locking and unlocking by them self for no reason. This in turn causes the battery to run down in a matter of two weeks or more. It's not my daily driver. I do have a battery tender but I don't always keep it hooked up to the car.

Any idea's on what it could be? I'm thinking maybe the 17 year old key fob has seen better day's and maybe the cause. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,848 Posts
Replace the battery for each FOB you have and see how that does
Keep FOBs further away when stored and see how that does

Change the FOBs from passive to not and see what that does
Can go into options via DIC for doors and make changes there and see what that does

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will try that. I was thinking of getting a new fob, the old one is kind of beat up looking. I was keeping the keys and fob upstairs in my office. Once in a while I would leave the keys and fob in my roll around tool box for a couple of days.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,848 Posts
If your replacing the FOBs make sure it is for your model year as GM changed the frequency in later years and the FOB has to work with the wireless controller that also is used for the tire pressure sensors.

If leaving the FOB near the car some owners wrap it with aluminum foil so FOB signal distance is reduced
Also get some spare CR2032 Battery 3v Lithium used for your FOB as they are getting harder to find

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The PN is 25695954 on the fob that is what I'm ordering. My year Z06 does not have tire pressure sensors or run flat tires. One less item to worry about, except for the tires. I'll get some spare battery's also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the key fob and some other parts from GM parts giant. The fob was $40.00 pretty reasonable, considering name brand retailers want twice as much or more. I don't think the fob is going to be the fix however. I was in the garage today getting into my other vehicle when I heard the sound and saw the DRL come on the Z06. I open and shut the door to reset the locks. Waited a little while and it did it again. I decided to disconnect the battery for 24 hours to see if it resets any BCM's etc. The old key fob was upstairs inside the house at the time. I don't think it can transmit that far. Anyway, I took the battery out of it to insure it no longer can transmit after the fact. I have not changed any settings yet in the DIC. I'll reconnect the battery tomorrow and do some troubleshooting.

Worst case it could be a bad or going bad BCM.😟 I will be also checking and cleaning all the grounds that I can find.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,848 Posts
Pulling battery out of FOB good idea as if problem goes away says FOB itself
With no battery and your only FOB then if still happens I would look at the ground and antenna of the wireless controller
that sends the signal to BCM
As mentioned in another post of mine go into options and turn off the auto lock/unlock function and set the switch on FOB so it takes a manual push of FOB button to open/lock and see how that does

It just could be something close to where you live is putting out same frequency FOB does

Does this happen when not parked at home, it doing it elsewhere also then I would go to the remote controller and again check for good ground and wiring pins of wiring harness at that controller and also the pins of controller to the BCM

Check Starbus network wiring connectors by BCM as good and clean as if remote controller is random coming in/out of Starbus would confuse the BCM

If having or access to a good OBD-II scanner or Tech-II monitor the remote controller PIDS and record them and then
the BCM PIDs and see it is commanding the doors or is getting commands from remote controller

Lastly could it be a bad switch on either door causing commands to BCM ?
as known the weight of the wiring harness to both door controllers over time put stress on the wiring pins of connectors
causing random connections and that is where a OBD-II scanner would help in recording door PIDs and pushing car a bit and see if problems happens

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Z06 and the doors keep locking and unlocking by them self for no reason. This in turn causes the battery to run down in a matter of two weeks or more. It's not my daily driver. I do have a battery tender but I don't always keep it hooked up to the car.

Any idea's on what it could be? I'm thinking maybe the 17 year old key fob has seen better day's and maybe the cause. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
I have a somewhat similar problem when my 04 ragtop had an issue with the battery running down over the course of a week or two or three. I finally determined that the lumbar support kept cycling randomly even with the keys out of the ignition. This happened shortly after the car was out of factory warranty. I bought it new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reconnected the battery and ran the car up to operating temps. Then shut it off. Spent 3 hours in the garage goofing around waiting to see if the problem would occur again. Nothing. Checked the grounds all good. Then checked the DIC settings. The auto lock feature was always off. Battery is still out of the old key fob. I'll keep a close eye on the car to see if the problem shows up again. It will be a week or so before the new key fob shows up. So far so good. LOL.

I forgot to mention in my OG post the doors would also lock and unlock while I was driving the car.

Thanks for your info and knowledge. I'll keep you updated.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,848 Posts
Well that changes the problem since this also happens when driving so if the ground is good to the remote controller
then I would look at both doors switches for open/closing or as mentioned the wiring connectors to one of the 2 door controllers is not firmly seated which is a known issue

Also look closely at the wire looms of both doors that are going through the A pillar to BCM as known of wires or connectors issues there.

Unless the FOB is doing this but I would think if the car is in motion the BCM would ignore door open/closes commands

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. I will troubleshoot that info. Sorry, I did not give the whole story of the problem from the get go. Anyway, I first noticed the problem when driving the car. I heard the door actuators cycle a couple of times and said what the heck is that? The problem went away and I did not give it much thought. Then it happened again after several months. Same story it went away and I left it at that. Then about a month ago the problem resurfaced again while driving. This time it was more severe, the door actuators kept cycling in rapid succession and would not stop. I decided to drive the car home before something worse happens and leaves me stranded etc... Before I reached my home the cycling stopped. That's about the time when I started to noticed the car was unlocking and locking the doors in the garage with no ignition on etc.. I thought it was just when driving the car. Then a few days later it would happen again and so on. To the point of running the battery dead.

I'm going to take the car out on a test drive without the key fob and see if I can duplicate the problem. Then take a look inside the doors. I've been inside the doors before. About 3 or 4 years ago to replace bad window regulators.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the car out on a test drive to try and duplicate the problem. Nothing. I even drove around the area where the rapid cycling of the actuators occurred. Thinking maybe high RF in the area caused the problem. Nothing. Pulled both door panels off and checked connections and wiring. All good. Wiggled wiring around. Nothing. Open and closed doors several times. Nothing. I really think it's the old key fob that was causing the problem. Still waiting on new key fob. Will update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New key fob came in today. I learned it to the vehicle and it works great. I left the new key fob in the garage with the car to see if the old problem would arise. Nothing. I'm convinced the beat up, 17 year old key fob was the problem. Thanks for your knowledge and help. I will say problem solved. If something comes up related to this problem I will post. Picture is of old and new fobs. 20201215_124249.jpg

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,848 Posts
That is the worst looking FOB I have ever seen
Wonder if it was in water at some time
Either way glad you found a new one that works with your C5 Z06

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was in a better condition when I bought the car almost 13 years ago come January. Thanks for your reply and help. I'll be introducing myself soon with pictures of the car and problems I've had over the years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts