Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the autoshow in motion and took the Z51 6spd around their little test track. If anyone has been to this event you know they let you slide the car around as much as you want. I was previously the owner of a 2003 Z06 so I'll give you guys the most unbiassed comparison I can.

I'll start with the drive.

Controls and overall feel seem similarly laid out to the C5. Infact driving a c6 doesn't seem far from driving a C5 at all. My only gripe was the shifter was moved more towards my knee somehow and I kinda hit it in 1st gear. I'm 6'3 and I like to drive with my seat somewhat forward so my knee kinda comes up the center console where the shifter is and it hits never had that problem in the c5. Shifter is shorter and less notchy. Overall liked the shifter. It felt a little more rubbery then the Z06 but overall better in everyway. The weird thing about driving the C6 is I expected it to drive smaller then the z06 since it was actually smaller, maybe it was the longer wheel base, but the car didn't really feel any smaller to me. Maybe a little but not much. Power and throttle response was definately not up to z06 par. I think the main reason for this was the cars extra weight and the gear/rearend ratio. This I think took away a lot from the "lively" feel of the LS6 in the z06. I think a rear end swap tho could bring most of that back. Going through the corners the cars extra weight was noticible and the suspension was noticibly much softer and less honed. This combined with the smaller and less sticky run flat tires made the car feel far less sharp through the corners. Feedback was diminished greatly and so was just the overall driver/car connection. The car just felt much more tame and less knife edge honed like the z06. The driving experiance took many steps back here when throwing the car through corners. This could probably be easily fixed with a full suspension upgrade and real, wider, tires but as it sits stock it's a far cry from the z06 here. Maybe not in track numbers but in the overall feel in the handling of the car. How the car managed to run similar nurburgring times to the z06 is beyond me as the car had far less grip, poor turn in, as well as slower transitions and more understeer. If you own a C6 even a Z51 C6 and think you are experiancing a c5 z06 in the handling and feel of the car, you are not. The z06 is a much funner to drive car and a far better handling car. Not that the c6 is crap its maybe 7-8/10ths of the way but just not quite there.

Sitting in it has more headroom then the z06 does. I'm 6'3 so for me this was a welcome feature. I had previously sat in one and played with the interior and came to the same observation. The interior layout seems much more modern and laid out in a catchy way then the old car. It's much more pleasant to the eye. Unfortunately somehow the choice of materials and the way everything comes together still lacks a quality German/Japanese feel. Once you get used to the new layout it just doesn't seem any higher quality then my z06. At least the C5 was consistant on the materials and feel while the C6 is kinda a mixed bag of stuff. They tried but still fell short in my opinion. By the way anyone notice the same flimsy center console lid? You know I sat in a GTO and was much more impressed with the interior in that car. Especially the suade accents here and there. Why the GTO has a better interior then either the C5 or C6 kinda boggles me. The thing I really like about the C6 interior is the NAV option. That is way cool and I think a necessary option for any 40K+ car now a days. So if buying a C6 over a c5 z06 for the better interior as your main motivation I'd pass on this unless you get the Nav option.

Exterior? This is tottaly SUBJECTIVE. I think the FRC body style looks way more aggresive and better but others may not feel this way. The C5 styling is very consistant while I think the C6 is kinda inconsistant with its mix of straight lines hard angles and then curvey lines and rounded angles. Some people may like this, some people not. Overall I do think that a c6 does look better then a hatch c5. At least to me it looks more expensive. My only gripe is the fact that the car is smaller narrower and taller and to me this makes its stance have less of a sports car presance. Again my opinon. One thing is for sure tho the C6 Z06 looks very aggresive (more so then a c5 z06) with the fender flares and misc scoops/ducts however it looks VERY unpolished especially in person. I'm not saying I don't like how it looks I'm saying for a 70K car it doesn't look nearly as polished in its styling as say the new Viper Coupe. It looks kinda body kitish if you know what I mean.

I've never driven a regular C5 but I'm posative that the C6 is better in everyway. So kudos to GM for building a better car. :usa: For 30g's cheaper then the cheapest Carrera the car is still the most awesome new bang for the buck sports car out there. The C6 Z06 I'm sure is going to blow the C5 z06 out of the water in everyway. But the C5 z06 was so good in the handling department that I'm not sure how much better they can get. If your not looking for the hottest car on the block with a warranty I'd pocket the 80g's after tax etc and get myself a 30-33K Z06 and drop 15g's for a H&C with some suspension, tire, and brake upgrades. But thats me :).

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Nice write up. FYI the C6 with the Z51 6 speed has the same gearing as the C5 Z06 in the first 4 gears. 5th gear is taller .071 this enables the the C6 to have a higher top speed. :cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It L Go is it the same rear end ratio? If so then damn the LS2 doesn't have the throttle response that the LS6 (Compression ratio and engine parts weight?)has. Also didn't feel quite as fast. Close but noticibly slower.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Z06Kal said:
It L Go is it the same rear end ratio? If so then damn the LS2 doesn't have the throttle response that the LS6 (Compression ratio and engine parts weight?)has. Also didn't feel quite as fast. Close but noticibly slower.

Yep! same rear axle 3.42, Maybe you had a non Z51 which would have the MN6 tranny :cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not it was for sure the Z51 as it had cross drilled rotors.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
It's true that both cars have very similar gearing in the 6 spd and both cars have 3.42s in the rear. Don't forget, the C6 weighs 200lbs more and it has a softer suspension.

Nice comparison.

Alex

·
Registered
882 Posts
Great write-up! :)

Unfortunately, it was kinda what was expected. Potential with a puzzling style and materials. :eyes:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'd say he's about 95% correct...
I own both. Z06-C5 is more fun to drive, but NOT a daily driver. The C6 w/z51 could be a daily driver.

I still think that our C5-Z06 will stand up to the C6-z06.

BANG 4 THE BUCK GOES to the C5-z06!!

and remember ALL the possible FIRST-YEAR problems on a new car!!

-Bill. :bang:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
C6 weighs 3179. C5 Z weighs 3115.
3179-3115=64
I was using numbers from magazines. Of course, those change all the time. But, what does the car really weigh? I've had my car weighed twice. My car does NOT weigh 3115lbs. My car came in at 3040lbs (scale rounds up to the next ten). I'm going to take my buddie's C6 to the same location to have it weighed. I don't trust what magazines print - when it comes to these stats.

Alex :cheers:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I was using numbers from magazines. Of course, those change all the time. But, what does the car really weigh? I've had my car weighed twice. My car does NOT weigh 3115lbs. My car came in at 3040lbs (scale rounds up to the next ten). I'm going to take my buddie's C6 to the same location to have it weighed. I don't trust what magazines print - when it comes to these stats.

Alex :cheers:

You have to consider many things. Options, amount of fluids in the car, etc. It's very subjective so I just use the manufacturers numbers. That is what the magazines use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I weighed my Z06 on a recycling materials scale that is certified. This is because they pay the supplier based on the weigh of the material he brings in. If you were to step on the scale it would get you right within multiples of 20. On this scale my z06 weighed 3020 with the gas light on. With a full tank of gas it was 3120. My Auto Supra weighs 3520 my 6spd was 3480. Same scale 2005 Lotus Elise with touring option and mid tank of gas 1980.

I'm almost posative that a C6 with a full tank of gas would be in the 3250 to 3300 range. Any C6 owners in the San Fernando Valley? I'd like to take to you to the scale to find out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Z06Kal said:
I weighed my Z06 on a recycling materials scale that is certified. This is because they pay the supplier based on the weigh of the material he brings in. If you were to step on the scale it would get you right within multiples of 20. On this scale my z06 weighed 3020 with the gas light on. With a full tank of gas it was 3120. My Auto Supra weighs 3520 my 6spd was 3480. Same scale 2005 Lotus Elise with touring option and mid tank of gas 1980.

I'm almost posative that a C6 with a full tank of gas would be in the 3250 to 3300 range. Any C6 owners in the San Fernando Valley? I'd like to take to you to the scale to find out.

Shiping weight of a 2004 Z06 with 2-3 gallons of gas is 3045 lbs. ..it is printed on the invoice..truckers that haul them have to be correct on the weights thay haul.. so it sounds like your scale is pretty close..:thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Steve, thanks for backing that number up.

Alex

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great writeup!! I drove a 6spd 1SB no Z51 about a month ago and conclude the same as you, although sounds like you lushed it harder than I did.

Just a note on the weight (for Performin Norman). Base model curb weight is 3179, but that appears to go up quite a bit on the Z51 due apparently to the bigger brakes and cooling equipment. Most of the mags peg the Z51 curb weight at 3280, which seems like a surprising increase. Who knows.

Most testing seems to show the Z51 about 2 tenths off the Z06 in straight line, so that is still damn quick. I think the disappointing part is the soft Z51 suspension. Bear in mind that the EMTs, though improved, are still very uncompliant compared to regular tires. This requires softer suspension damping, which gives a looser feel. The again, you get runflat capability, a definite plus on long trips.

The other BIG negative to the C6 is the cost / availability of consumables, especially if you intend to track the car. There are no track tires available for this car, and I would not even want to know what new F1 EMTs cost. Ditto the brake rotors and pads.

Sticking with the Z06 for now...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm in the process of ordering a C6 (1SB & Z51) and I remember the sense of pride in some "official" write up that came off like "With the Z51 package it's ALMOST on par with the C5 Z" and had a sense of pride about that at the time.

I realize that my C6 won't be a Z, but I had a 99 coupe that I loved for a couple of years before my Z.

I realize this car won't be a Z but, it's a new vette, non Z so I'll love it for what it is.

In the meantime, I'll be hoping the cost of the C6 Z comes into a range where I can justify affording it.....

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Z06Kal said:
Went to the autoshow in motion and took the Z51 6spd around their little test track. If anyone has been to this event you know they let you slide the car around as much as you want.
Nice story... however, when I went to the local edition of the GM Autoshow in Motion - they pulled up the handbrake and killed the car and kicked out of the event for staying is 1st gear too long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts