Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate input from those who have ACTUALLY done this, or who have both cars. I am considering the Vert with Z51, so any comments here would be most appreciated. I would be replacing the Z with the new car, so I need an honest assessment of handling, noise, and annoyance issues, not theories from those who have neither car. I'm looking for honest inputs on the good, the bad, and the ugly, so feel free to PM me if you prefer to avoid bench racing and debates on here. Thanks - MTS

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have not driven a C6 Z51 but from all I have read the Z51 is 95% of the current Z with all of the edginess taken out. The complaints I have heard is that the car feels less connected with the road...over all a softer car...less noise, softer ride, less input for the driver. Most of the track results (1/4 mile) I have seen are also significantly slower, but this has been prooven to be from conservative tuning (torque management. From all I have read it would take an intake and more aggressive exhaust along with tuning to make the C6 Z51 Feel like a C5Z.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
I have driven both cars on the same day, at the same track (road course). Both cars were bone stock. I have driven this track on a few occasions, so I know it pretty well. The C6 z51 is indeed smoother, quieter, and more refined but it was not nearly as much fun as the C5 Z. While the C5 Z feels like a track car, the C6 feels like a GT. Chevy was shooting for a more refined car, and I think they succeeded. The handling of the C6 z51 suffers somewhat from the run-flat tires. Although they are better than the previous generation, they still get "squishy" in tight turns. Both cars rock but, I prefer the C5 Z. It is just that much more fun to me (I like a little edge). :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
2MchFun said:
I have driven both cars on the same day, at the same track (road course). Both cars were bone stock. I have driven this track on a few occasions, so I know it pretty well. The C6 z51 is indeed smoother, quieter, and more refined but it was not nearly as much fun as the C5 Z. While the C5 Z feels like a track car, the C6 feels like a GT. Chevy was shooting for a more refined car, and I think they succeeded. The handling of the C6 z51 suffers somewhat from the run-flat tires. Although they are better than the previous generation, they still get "squishy" in tight turns. Both cars rock but, I prefer the C5 Z. It is just that much more fun to me (I like a little edge). :thumb:
Are you sure it was a Z51???? It is my understanding that the Z51 doesn't have runflats... :eek:o:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I think smook went from a C5Z to a C6 Z51 coupe and wasn't happy and dumped the C6 for a Z16....I'd search for his posts on the topic a few months back.

okay I did some diggin for ya

smooks comments

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You want to talk to smook. He didn't like the C6 over the C5 Z.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Oh Norman, where are you? ;)

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
It all depends on what you want from a car.

I went from a stock 02 Z to an 05 Z51 M6.

Ride: C6 is like a luxury car with very little body roll. C5 is just plain tight.

Road noise: C6 is nonexistent. C5 has some but you don't really care.

Comfort: C6 has all the creature comforts. Some don't really care about them or the refinements.

Straight line performance: C5 has more brutal top end. C6 has much more torque and has potential to be very fast if you know how to bypass the aggressive torque management system on the C6.

Overall, when I switched from the C5 to the C6, I didn't miss my old car. Again, it's all a matter of what you want out of a car.

If you want to ask very specific questions, please feel free. I don't mind helping out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that. Wow. What a soap opera. He kept the C6 in the end and got a CE 04 Z06. Never got a clear sense what he didn't like in the C6 apart from too quiet. Hmmm.

I see PerforminNorman has both...maybe he can chime in here.

EDIT - Duh, thank you sir.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK PerforminNorman read your comments and thanks a bunch. This is exactly the transition I would be making. Here are the specific questions:

Do you have a Coupe or Vert? I assume Coupe.

When you say C5 "tighter" do you mean C6 flexes more and is that with the roof panel out? Or do you refer to handling being less "buttoned down" than the Z06?

I bought the Z for carving corners, but one thing I TOTALLY love about the Z is the 1-2 blast, especially because I have the Nitto R2 and the car just hooks and flies. How bad is the torque management on the C6, have you eliminated the problem (I understand Cartek has a module out to solve this), and if so, how close is the car now to a Z. Another way to phrase this is: can the C6 ever feel like the Z that way?

Do you think the C6 handling can be improved with bars and better (Bilstein) shocks? My '00 Coupe responded VERY well to that and, in some ways, felt better than the stock Z.

This would be my only Vette, so it has big shoes to fill and a lot of expectations to meet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
TTRotary said:
OK PerforminNorman read your comments and thanks a bunch. This is exactly the transition I would be making. Here are the specific questions:

Do you have a Coupe or Vert? I assume Coupe. I have a coupe.

When you say C5 "tighter" do you mean C6 flexes more and is that with the roof panel out? Or do you refer to handling being less "buttoned down" than the Z06? C5 is harsher/stiffer. I wouldn't say there were flex to either. I'd call it a natural progression in technology.

I bought the Z for carving corners, but one thing I TOTALLY love about the Z is the 1-2 blast, especially because I have the Nitto R2 and the car just hooks and flies. How bad is the torque management on the C6, have you eliminated the problem (I understand Cartek has a module out to solve this), and if so, how close is the car now to a Z. Another way to phrase this is: can the C6 ever feel like the Z that way? The TM on the C6 is very aggressive compared to the C5. Cartek told me that they average .3 to .5 second differences in the 1/4 mile. I believe it because when it kicks in, it can make my C6 feel sluggish. I've leaned to reset the ECM when I want to do some spirited driving. However, it doesn't last long as it learns quickly. At times, the C6 feels faster than the C5, at other times, it feels like a dog. All because of the aggressive TM system.

Do you think the C6 handling can be improved with bars and better (Bilstein) shocks? My '00 Coupe responded VERY well to that and, in some ways, felt better than the stock Z. I think so. I didn't get the special ride control but I'm sure aftermarket companies will come out will all kinds of goodies for the C6.

This would be my only Vette, so it has big shoes to fill and a lot of expectations to meet.

Thanks.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK thanks PerforminNorman, I appreciate your time and comments. Looks like I have some thinking to do. I really miss the removable roof, but I really don't want to lose that edgy feel. Guess another option is to do Caravaggio Targa Conversion to the Z.

Then again, that C6 Vert looks damn sharp in Blk/Blk.

I'll also look around and see if someone can "edit" the TM out ( I think A&A just got the LS2 edit copy). I think Cartek sells some sort of module for this, but it sounds like a band-aid.

I suspect the tires are the limiting factor. The F1 SC's already had no straighline grip in 295 version, so the 285 with stiff sidewall will only make that worse and will add wheelhop. Which means that if you screw up the rear end due to axle hop because you disabled TM, you are SOL with the dealer. Only real solution is stickier tires, which don't exist in 19.

Gotta think about this...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 04 Z06 z16. I have driven it at Texas Motor Speedway. We did the 1 mile in-field road course and the remaining 1.5 miles on the oval. On the road course that car stuck like glue!! On the oval I got into a bit of under-steer in turn four. I was just pushing the car too hard. What a blast that was.

I drove a C6 z51 in a parking lot with cones set up for a road course. I know this is not a direct comparison, but it did give me a chance too see what the car could do. It handles nice. I had it sliding around the corners and almost a power slide at one point. You could push this car to the limit without worry and then some. The engine was the biggest let down. About three times I was pushing the gas down and the engine would not accelerate. The computer wouldn't let me have the throttle I wanted.

Also I could put the pedal to the metal on the C6 In first and second an not brake traction. It would get all its power to the ground. Of course I wasn't dumping the clutch. In the Z06 first will loose traction. In second if you are perfectly straight it won't brake traction most of the time.

Both cars are stock. The c6 is more refined. I really like the short throw shifter. You can push it too the limit and keep going. The Z06 is not refined. It is for getting down to business. It is sharp around the edges and demands more respect.

I like the way the c6 drives and handles, but I would NEVER give up my Z06 for it. One is built to race, the other can race! If performance is you thing Z06 all the way. If you want all the other stuff then I would go with the C6.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
xstang said:
Are you sure it was a Z51???? It is my understanding that the Z51 doesn't have runflats... :eek:o:
You understand wrong. The Z51 comes with the F1 Supercar EMTs. As in, Extended Mobility Tire - or run flats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2MchFun said:
You understand wrong. The Z51 comes with the F1 Supercar EMTs. As in, Extended Mobility Tire - or run flats.

I stand corrected...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts