Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
out of curiosity..., which one in your opinion is better and why
You really can't compare them, like comparing apples to oranges. Each one has its merits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interior and creature comforts such as heated seats, navigation, etc. go to the C6 all the way.

There are just more options with the C6.

To me, the C5Z is a car that doesn't come with all those options to distract you from the experience. :yeadog:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I went to buy one. I went C5 Z06 all the way though. In 20 years you will just have another average Corvette with a regular C6 (kind of like owning a 1994 C4 today). However, a Z06 will always be a little bit more special and I love the FRC because I think it looks better and you have a nice trunk. I can't help, but smile thinking about mine sitting in the garage waiting for the snow to melt. :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
If I could afford it, I would Keep my Z and buy a new GS ragtop, leave it stock and drive the piss out of it on nice summer days and just use my C5Z06for occasional trips to the dragstrip and road course and to intimidate the crap out of the local ricer boys. :D Honestly, I love both cars, but they are definitely not apples to apples! :yeadog:

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
C5 Z06 wins because it is not just another base model corvette. the C6 roadster might be newer, ride a little nicer, and have more options, but It is just a base model corvette. the Z06 is elite.

If you are buying it for the DD experience then it doesn't matter which one you get.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Wow, much has been written (and debated) on this subject. Having driven both, on the same day, on the same track, I would say they are pretty close performance-wise. While the C6 is more smooth and quiet, the C5Z has more of an edge to it. The other big difference is that (assuming both are bone-stock) the C6 has run-flat tires, which definitely hurts it on the track (handling gets "squishy" in the corners), but also avoids one of the C5Z potential nightmares of having a flat tire in the middle of nowhere.
...so, with that said, it depends on what YOU like. I prefer the "edge" and more connected feel of the C5Z myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran into a c6 today on the interstate in my c5z..needless to say I put 6 cars on him from a 60-140 roll. my car isnt stock by any means but just my 2cents

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I went from a stock 2002 C5Z with CAI to a Z51 6M 2005 Corvette coupe. In a straight out drag race, WOT, Gear Grabbin', Power shiftin', the 2002Z would get the nod. However, in every day driving, the Z51 car felt stronger at part throttle and overall driving around town. This is mostly due to the cam specs of the LS2 being less aggressive than the LS6 cam. I think the LS2 pulls harder to about 4000 to 4500 rpm and then noses over a bit while the LS6 pulled right to the redline.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Given two equal drivers in a straight line, then the C5Z would win of course.

But no two drivers are alike, and when you talk about "fast," hopefully you don't just mean a straight line. I've seen C5Z's overtake C6Z's on the racetrack, just like I've seen C6's blow away turbo-charged C5Z's.

Who's fastest? It just comes down to how good a driver you are.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Custom grind Cam, Comp 921 Springs & push rods, Fast 90mm intake, 90mm TB, LT Headers, X-pipe, Borla Exhaust, Blackwing air intake, Haltek Carbon Fiber air bridge, Mezier polished Electric Water Pump, B&M ripper Shifter, Spec Stage III clutch, Baer Eradispeed+2 Rotor kit, I forged Wheels 20" rear 19" front, DTE Stage IV rear end, DTE Differential Brace, Boston speakers, 2 boston amps, Fosgate sub, Monster cable & wiring. Sirrus Satellite radio. HID Headlight Kit

Not quite fair to pick on a stock c6. Although, he didn't need to add HID ; )

I think it's funny people say it's not apples to apples....If it was, it would be, well, equal: not a good thread topic, really. Comparing C5 to C6 is like comparing Alabama to Georgia, or Minnesota to Wisconsin. From any amount of perspective, they are indeed "apples to apples". The issue I see is one is 5 years older than the other so it is disadvantaged mostly from simple improvements made yearly on our cars. Like HID, or AH. If GM made a C5z now, it would be better than a C6. But I don't think that is gunna happen. On a race track, I bet the race would be determined by 1) the driver, or 2) the brake fluid used...

I respectfully disagree with the "squishy" RFT comment, too. Why would a stiff sidewalled runflat have squishy tread per se? If anything, the non-RFT would have a softer sidewall, and thus feel more "squishy".

·
Registered
943 Posts
Given two equal drivers in a straight line, then the C5Z would win of course.

But no two drivers are alike, and when you talk about "fast," hopefully you don't just mean a straight line. I've seen C5Z's overtake C6Z's on the racetrack, just like I've seen C6's blow away turbo-charged C5Z's.

Who's fastest? It just comes down to how good a driver you are.
...And as for your signature....I'm an Adam Henry...:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the "squishy" RFT comment, too. Why would a stiff sidewalled runflat have squishy tread per se? If anything, the non-RFT would have a softer sidewall, and thus feel more "squishy".
Try it on the track, you'll see what I mean. Tread squirm and physics of the tires contribute to a less connected feel.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
RFTs definitely have stiffer sidewalls. It's what makes them RFTs. And it is commonly accepted wisdom that more flexible sidewalls give you better conformance to and traction with the road, at the expense of lateral load transfer (AKA "Transient Steering Response"). So RFTs should give you faster steering response but lower road holding ability compared to a non-RFT, all other things being equal (i.e., tire sizes and rubber compounds).

Drag racers use tires with tall sidewalls so that the sidewall can flex as much as possible since that leads to the greatest amount of traction. But you don't want to have to make any sharp turns with those kinds of tires...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts