Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
RFTs definitely have stiffer sidewalls. It's what makes them RFTs. And it is commonly accepted wisdom that more flexible sidewalls give you better conformance to and traction with the road, at the expense of lateral load transfer (AKA "Transient Steering Response"). So RFTs should give you faster steering response but lower road holding ability compared to a non-RFT, all other things being equal (i.e., tire sizes and rubber compounds).

Drag racers use tires with tall sidewalls so that the sidewall can flex as much as possible since that leads to the greatest amount of traction. But you don't want to have to make any sharp turns with those kinds of tires...
So would RFTs be better suited for autocrossing than road racing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i agree that this infact is a question of comparing apples to apples.. ones just newer than the other..

they're both vettes, both fast, just one is newer. and actually they're more "apples to apples" than say.. c5 z06 vs c6 z06 because this comparison is the better of the older vs. the baseline of the newer..

this is why i thought itd be an intersting question to ask

personally i havent driven either yet.. its interesting to read everyone's viewpoints..

i would expect i would like the c5 z06 over the c6 because the more "raw" feel to the car. I would imagine the c6 is dummed down and more mannerly than a c5 z06 which is a borderline track car..

HOWEVER, like i said i havent driven either yet. i'm assuming what i'd think from what i have read and seen elsewhere

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Performance wise? dead heat..
Drivers NVH? C6 LS3
Comfort? c6 LS3
Handling? equal
Braking? equal

daily driver capability? C6 LS3

Fun factor? C5 Z06

Simply put as an owner of both? The c5 Z06 is more race car like in its driving experience...The C6 LS3 Z51 is much better in daily use..and has top off capability which is fun in the summer.

Price wise? No question the C5 Z06 is the better buy..

If I had to do it all over again? After blowing the motor in my c5 z06? I probably should have just replaced the motor with a new LS6 crate motor and called it day. Something special that the C5 Z06 offers that trancends any simple explaination even with the facts mentioned above.

Do I dig the C6 LS3 Z51? You bet...but does it hae the same allure of my previous C5 Z06? Nope..

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Performance wise? dead heat..
Drivers NVH? C6 LS3
Comfort? c6 LS3
Handling? equal
Braking? equal

daily driver capability? C6 LS3

Fun factor? C5 Z06

Simply put as an owner of both? The c5 Z06 is more race car like in its driving experience...The C6 LS3 Z51 is much better in daily use..and has top off capability which is fun in the summer.

Price wise? No question the C5 Z06 is the better buy..

If I had to do it all over again? After blowing the motor in my c5 z06? I probably should have just replaced the motor with a new LS6 crate motor and called it day. Something special that the C5 Z06 offers that trancends any simple explaination even with the facts mentioned above.

Do I dig the C6 LS3 Z51? You bet...but does it hae the same allure of my previous C5 Z06? Nope..

Hope this helps....
being that you owned both i'd say thats a pretty credible opinion:yeadog:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I went to buy one. I went C5 Z06 all the way though. In 20 years you will just have another average Corvette with a regular C6 (kind of like owning a 1994 C4 today). However, a Z06 will always be a little bit more special and I love the FRC because I think it looks better and you have a nice trunk. I can't help, but smile thinking about mine sitting in the garage waiting for the snow to melt.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts