Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The C5R did very well compared to the new C6R. In the early going it was running with the both of the C6s. I imagine there is still some work going on with the C6R by the corvette teams. I would also imagine that the team running the C5R is still getting used to their car as well. Still it goes to show you how good that C5R is.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
2001Z06 said:
The C5R did very well compared to the new C6R. In the early going it was running with the both of the C6s. I imagine there is still some work going on with the C6R by the corvette teams. I would also imagine that the team running the C5R is still getting used to their car as well. Still it goes to show you how good that C5R is.
True, but the C6-Rs qualified 1st and 2d in class at Sebring, which is the true test of speed. During a 12 hour race like Sebring, it is common to pace yourself and try to stay out of trouble so you will be there at the end. We really don't know how hard the cars were running in the first hour or two of the race. The C6-Rs were leading at 4 hours and at 8 hours, prior to the accidents.

·
Registered
100 Posts
quickZ said:
True, but the C6-Rs qualified 1st and 2d in class at Sebring, which is the true test of speed. During a 12 hour race like Sebring, it is common to pace yourself and try to stay out of trouble so you will be there at the end. We really don't know how hard the cars were running in the first hour or two of the race. The C6-Rs were leading at 4 hours and at 8 hours, prior to the accidents.
yes but the Aston passed the 3 car in the first couple of laps and stayed there for quite a while. I'm a vette fan but the Astons will give us trouble this year. count on it. they have the pace and the $$$$. David Richards, of Prodrive, and formerly BAR Honda fame won't settle for anything less than success. The Vette's will be pushed at every event. Aston doesn't qualify for championship points because they are too wide by ACO standards....regardless they were formidable. If Emanuelle Pirro hadn't of bumped the #3 car then they would have won Sebring....such is endurance racing. all the best.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There was no qualifying due to bad weather. Positions were determined by practice sessions. So the positions are a little skewed. Yes, one of the C6Rs set a new lap record early on during the race which is very impressive.

At Sebring, unlike 24 hours races, most teams do come out of the box a little more aggressively to try to flush out the lesser competitors, which was indicative of the new lap record being established by the C6R early in the race. Then they pace themselves until they see what has to be done during the night time hours to see what the last couple of hours require.

Either way the "old" C5R did very well compared to the new C6R.

quickZ said:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts