Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's a guy over on ferrarichat claiming that a C5 Z51 has a higher top speed than a Z06. he sites better rear window airo and gearing as the reason. i call BS. i was under the impression that until the C6 came out, the only vette with a higher top speed was the ZR1.

can someone confirm this?

here is the original link

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
ppk1911 said:
there's a guy over on ferrarichat claiming that a C5 Z51 has a higher top speed than a Z06. he sites better rear window airo and gearing as the reason. i call BS. i was under the impression that until the C6 came out, the only vette with a higher top speed was the ZR1.

can someone confirm this?

here is the original link
Sorry, but I think he's correct.

·
Registered
126 Posts
He's 100% correct. The Z06 tops out at 173mph at redline in 5th gear, the coupe has taller gearing in the tranny and can hit 180mph or so. The coupe also does have a better CD due to the fastback rear glass. The better aero is why the C5R uses the fastback rear glass and not the Z06 notchback body style. :yeadog:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
He's right, but it will not be the case when the new Z comes out. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, didn't know that. amazing that gearing and airo can make up for a 60HP difference. thanks!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The aero makes some differece but the big thing is the gearing. With the same gearing, I think the hp would rule.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I didn't know that either. Does anyone know the CD deference between the two body styles. It can't be much.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
vant said:
It's not much...maybe 0.02 or so. The coupe has a drag coefficent of 0.29....the z06 has one of 0.31
Thanks, Vant, I guess I was looking for absolute numbers. Like the coupe's CD is .29 and the Z has .32 or what ever it is.

D.J. :usa:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The diffence is gearing. Sure there is a aero advantage - but I am doubting it has the effect of running into a wall at 174mph, preventing a taller gearded Z from running to 180mph.

Higher ratio would have the C5 Z rolling to the same speed.

The one time I ran up to the redline in 5th, Ihit the rev limiter - the car still had go. And I run a meak 385hp '01.. :p

405hp Z's with Coupe 5 speed tranny would surely be able to pull 180mph in 5th.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Top speed (according to Chevrolet) Z06=171 MPH Coupe=175 MPH

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Haha - I just readthe thread.

C5 Coupe - :lol: - sure he has better "top end" - but imagine how long it's going to take him to catch up and pass you from 10 cars back and only being 5mph quicker... Some people.. :p

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RC45 said:
Haha - I just readthe thread.

C5 Coupe - :lol: - sure he has better "top end" - but imagine how long it's going to take him to catch up and pass you from 10 cars back and only being 5mph quicker... Some people.. :p
:lol: i know! i followed up by giving the mosler example: yea, a Z06 is "faster top end" than a photon, but i wouldn't even be able to SEE his taillights by the time i got there! :lol: ah well, he'll learn...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Cave Man said:
He's right, but it will not be the case when the new Z comes out. :)
You're right, but that's the reason they didn't go with the notchback. It is what is going to give the Z the nearly 200mph top speed.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
z06_23_45 said:
You're right, but that's the reason they didn't go with the notchback. It is what is going to give the Z the nearly 200mph top speed.
I have to disagree until some engineering boffin provides proof that the FRC can't reach 200mph with 500hp on tap.

With friendly gearing and 500hp on tap I am willing to bet an FRC could run to 200mph.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yes, the C5 hatchback can reach a slightly higher top end speed. For all out top speed, it's more a function of the gearing than the body shape. The .01 or .02 higher drag factor is not going to have as big an impact on the top speed as the gearing does at the speeds that are in play here.

However, the time it takes the hatchback to get that top speed and the z06 get to its top speed, which is only a few mph, the Z06 will be well ahead and it would require a very lengthy straight stretch at flatout speed for it to ever catch the Z06.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I sort of disagree ... AERODYNAMICS -- and gearing make all the difference in the world. And John Lingenfelter used a hatchback vs. FRC for the stage II TT project for magazines because with the hatchback it could hit 230+ and be more stable. As far as with enough horsepower anything will go fast I don't agree sort of...(if you put a rocket on anything it will move out) however Have you ever seen a CASA 212 or Skyvan fly... Thank God for strong turbo props and enough wing or these things wouldn't move. They do not go as fast though. Put the same engines on an MU2 and you have some speed.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
The horsepower requirement goes up as the cube of the speed. So IF you could go 180 mph with 400 HP then the HP required to go 200 mph would be 548.

200mph / 180mph = 1.111
1.111 ^ 3 = 1.372
400HP * 1.372 = 548.7HP

There's you mathematical "proof" of how much HP is required to go 200 mph.

However, no Corvette can go 180 mph with only 400 HP, so it would require even MORE than 548 HP to go 200 mph. 200 mph is out of reach for any GM factory production car no matter how it's geared, even the C6 Z06.

Rod

·
Registered
629 Posts
HotRod said:
The horsepower requirement goes up as the cube of the speed. So IF you could go 180 mph with 400 HP then the HP required to go 200 mph would be 548.

200mph / 180mph = 1.111
1.111 ^ 3 = 1.372
400HP * 1.372 = 548.7HP

However, no Corvette can go 180 mph with only 400 HP, so it would require even MORE than 548 HP to go 200 mph. 200 mph is out of reach for any GM factory production car no matter how it's geared, even the C6 Z06.

Rod
Your "proof" needs a little work. All Corvette body styles can easily go 180mph with 400hp if geared correctly.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
HotRod said:

200mph / 180mph = 1.111
1.111 ^ 3 = 1.372
400HP * 1.372 = 548.7HP

G.M. must be using the new math everyone was talking about a few years ago. They claim the new 06Z06 will run close to 200. What gives. Isn't it referenced to the CD of the car? A 800 HP UPS truck couldn't run 200MPH. Is the point of reference in you formula 400HP requirement to achieve 180MPH? Would the new Z's aero number have anything to do with it. As in it may not take as much HP/TQ in a new Z to run a higher top speed than say a 2004 Coupe.

D.J.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts