Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest for a 427, I have been told by a few people to get a C5R block. Best combination with least amont of troubles later on.

Let the debate begin.

PROS & CONS

C5R Block
ARE Iron Block 427
Darton Block
Whatever I Missed

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
C5R block is the way to go if $s are not an issue.
No chance of leaking sleeves for one.
My second choice would be a Darton block but why stop at 427?

·
21,354 Posts
If money wasn't an issue I would go with the C5R for sure. But, I think if I was in your shoes I'd wait and see what the LS7 costs and it's availability.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
jub jub said:
If money wasn't an issue I would go with the C5R for sure. But, I think if I was in your shoes I'd wait and see what the LS7 costs and it's availability.
Me too. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
C5R--Yes its about a $5000.00 upgrade, but you keep your core short block and resell it. Thus making the investmet around $3200.00 net. No brainer for a piece of mind. I've built motors in the past and wished I did one step better. With the C5R, there is no 1 step better.

Net effect is approx 10% of the total package cost.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
jub jub said:

I agree with Jub Jub, If I feel that I need more power in the future I would seriously look into the LS7 when it becomes
available, but then again, availability of the LS7 may force the prices of the C5R block and components down to a more affordable level, guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
As I recall there are issues with a 427 Iron block. If I remember correctly, due to rod angles, it puts undue stress on the crank.

Joe

·
Registered
971 Posts
Zero problems with my 430 cid Darton w/ everthing and I road race.

My next one, for my 06 Z06 will be done by The Vette Doctors or Cartek. 457 CID with a sheet metal manifold and a dry sump. 650-680 to the tires N/A. Enough said. The stock motor will be going on an engine stand.

The LS7 will never drop into a C5 without spending a whole lot $$$ and time.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The only problem with the 427C5R block is that everyone is out of stock and none appears to be in the pipeline. :eek:o:

·
Registered
971 Posts
IL L Go,
I agree. I think Gm will stop producing these. Not enough demand, competition from Darton and moving to the LS7.
Selling ten blocks a month is not their idea of making money...
Getting LS7 replacements parts will be PITA for the first year if history repeats itself. Did with my Z06 and ZR1.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
IVO,
They caught some hell for a bad run of headers!
Other than that glitch I've never heard anything bad about FLP!!
I'm sure you could get some warrantee on parts failure but, you understand what you are buying!!
Have it dropped shipped to Gregs place and that way you can get to it before Tom does!!
If I could afford it, I would have it!!

Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts