Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Participated with the Corvette Club of Michigan today at Milan Dragway. We had plenty of time to make practice runs, and check out the track before eliminations.

My first practice runs:

13.1551 107.61
13.4111 107.09
13.023 108.44
13.1359 106.64
13.1174 107.90

After the first run, I was determined to get a 12 sec time in.
The next run did it!

12.9162 109.47
13.055 107.67

They call off practice, and have a driver's meeting before starting eliminations. I used a 12.7 as my dial in.
The first run was my last! :(
Eliminated. :mah: My own fault. The rear started getting a little squirrely, so I backed off it a bit, and didn't realize I wasn't past the 1/4 mile light, and I backed off!!!! How dumb! Et was 13.6881 at 97.03! 10 mph off what Iwas running in practice. Oh well, I had fun and learned a lot..isn't that what's it all about?

·
Registered
114 Posts
how did the rear get squirly when you were near the finish line in a stock c6?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darius said:
The squirly feeling happened happend early on...I let up towards the top end.

Zip :( :(

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Darius said:
Its a bit confusing to me too, but I believe he's not talking about spinning, hes talking about waving side to side from acceleration on the top end, happens mostly with low psi in the tires from flex of the tire, even if not it could be wind somewhere and do that under accelration even if tires are in proper psi :yeadog:

BTW congrats on the runs Zippy :usa:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, by squirly, I meant the rear end going side to side...not much, but enough that I backed off the gas a bit to prevent it from getting worse and possibly hitting the wall. This is my stret driven car, and I definitely don't want to break anything.

Don't know why it happened....no squirly issues during the practice runs. One of our experienced members made mention of the wind changing while we were there, and another said traction was much better during eliminations because they groomed the track...whatever, like I said, I gained valuable experience and had fun. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Zippy said:
Yes, by squirly, I meant the rear end going side to side...not much, but enough that I backed off the gas a bit to prevent it from getting worse and possibly hitting the wall. This is my stret driven car, and I definitely don't want to break anything.

Don't know why it happened....no squirly issues during the practice runs. One of our experienced members made mention of the wind changing while we were there, and another said traction was much better during eliminations because they groomed the track...whatever, like I said, I gained valuable experience and had fun. :cheers:

Problably just hit some wind or the tires grabed on asphalt groves or both, dont get scared of it, leave comp mode and no issues :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Place a ice bag on top of the intake, It will help, Its like a mini nitrous quicky, I havent used to my benefit but I believe it does work :thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nice runs. How did the Zs do?

Alex

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Good driving, Tony!! Wish I could've been there. I am in need a fix for a pass down the strip.

Btw.....how did the helmet feel?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Darius said:
If you've never been to milan, a 94 Cavalier can get squirrely near the end... :screwy:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
holedgr said:
Good driving, Tony!! Wish I could've been there. I am in need a fix for a pass down the strip.

Btw.....how did the helmet feel?
Helmet fits just fine!

BTW, Milan dragway is hosting the IHRA Motor City Nationals the weekend of July16, for those who want to see Top Fuel, Funy Car and other top name racers.

Zip:) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts