Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to take my car in this morning to get my front tires that had been on back order since 2/26 to be installed. Pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and it felt odd and when I released it, nothing. Pulled it back up with my foot and pumped it a several times and it still was not releasing all the way. Drove down the street half a mile and it started to act better but still not normal.
Luckily my appointment was with my Chevy dealer's dedicated Corvette tech. I spoke to him and he immediately said clutch master cylinder. Is it safe to drive? No. So got the tires put on and waited for the bad news about the master cylinder, $600.00 plus 3.4 hours of labor. Good news TSB 14717 clutch master cylinder covered of 10 years or 120,000 mile from original in service date. My ISD is 6/1/13. Covered. Now just got the car back so I could drive it, after waiting 3 months for tires, and now parked again until they get the clutch master cylinder in. Good news is the replacement part has been redesigned to be more robust.
I replaced the OEM Goodyears with Michelin Pilot 4S'. Already had the rears put on back in March because they were available, now the fronts were being installed. Only drove the car maybe 10 miles, but what a difference new rubber makes. Wish I hadn't been such dufus, and had replaced the tires years ago. My OEM tires were 9 1/2 years old. They were shot, but I was wanting to see how long I could go on the original tires. 13,115 miles. Not bad. From what I have read the Michelin's should last longer, but I think this time I will replace sooner that later.
By the way this was the first time I used Tire Rack to buy my tires, and I was impressed with their service. The rears were ordered on a Thursday and I had them the next day. The fronts were on back order until 6/5 but I got them 5/28. And during that time the price went up on the tires, but they charged me the 2/26 price from when I ordered them.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,860 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check the date codes on those new tires as T.R has a habit of selling outdated tires (they get at a cheaper cost)
On the side of tires there is a date code. Check all 4 and see if same dates.
Larger tires are the least being sold, so the tire maker does one build lot and then tires end up sitting for longer periods before being sold

As you may know, feds say tires should not be more than 6 years old and T.R could be selling you ones that are already 2 plus years old.

Good thing GM is paying total cost for master replacement as 3.5 hours labor is nuts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the first thing I did. I got the rears in March, they are 4th. week 2021, and the fronts I got last week, are date coded 20th. week 2021. So pretty much right out of the tire molds.
Yes the labor is stiff, but it is what the factory labor time guide calls for in the TSB. The tech must have been giving me the total cost with labor, because the part wholesales for about $100.00. I was happy to here that the replacement clutch master cylinder is improved over the old one. Apparently the old one must be crap. The TSB covers all 2005-2013 Corvettes with manual transmission.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,860 Posts
Good to see you got the newest date codes

Before knowing about date codes, I bought 4 tires from T.R, installed them and went to race same week
Went to get car tech'd, and they failed my Corvette because of date codes being too old for
the speed I would have been going

Hope it is your master and not the slave as that would mean the whole assend coming out
and if so then I'd change the whole clutch

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did ask if it was the slave cylinder and he kept saying it was the master cylinder. However if it is the slave I will probably not put in a factory assembly. I like the Katech unit with the some of the ZR1 components. But lets wait and see. And by the way when the car was new (few weeks old) they replaced the clutch because it had just a bit of "chatter"

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,860 Posts
If having to replace the clutch look at Mcleod, they have been making Corvette stock or performance clutches for decades and hold up well over time

McLeod Clutches

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a big block Superformance Cobra replica with 4.30's and massive Hoosiers out back, used that same clutch and never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today just for the heck of it thought maybe I should check the clutch master cylinder reservoir. Well now I feel like a idiot, the damn thing is below the "MIN" line on the tank. So I guess I will go get some GM clutch fluid and fill it back up and see what happens. Evan if that fixes it I think I am still going to let the General put on the new and improved master cylinder set up. Why not if the old one is of an inferior design might as well get the upgrade on their dine not mine. I always check fluids and tire pressures but never look at the clutch master reservoir. Guess I will add that to my list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you heard of the turkey baster method to clean out the clutch fluid?
Fill the reservoir with clean fluid, pump the clutch 10 times and remove the dirty fluid with a turkey baster. Do this as many times as it takes to get the fluid reasonably clean.
I wouldn't purchase the expensive GM fluid (GM doesn't manufacture brake fluid anyway). Just buy some Prestone Dot 4 fluid that meets the specs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reservoir was down below the pickup tube in the middle, so essentially it was empty. When I was filling it, I did over fill it a bit, but if I used the wife's turkey baster she would have a cow. So I had some old left over syringes that I used for allergy shots and that worked OK. Took several trips but, got he job done. I was surprised that the fluid was almost black. I do wonder where the fluid went because I never saw any leakage on the garage floor. The dealership is going to put the new and improved master on when they get the part in under warranty. I did notice that when I refilled the reservoir that there was some junk floating on top of the fluid. Probably not good. As for the fluid I went to O'Reilly auto parts got 12 oz. Prestone DOT4 for <$6.00. It's way more than I will ever need. I did notice after I refilled the master cylinder, bubbles were coming up, pumped the clutch a bunch and the pedal is now back to normal. Sad thing is once a month I always check tires pressures and most fluids. Never gave the clutch master a thought. I will from now on. The wife has a "19 Stingray convertible with a 7 speed manual. I will be checking hers from now on too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts