Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One problem with tracking the C6 Z51 will be the tire pressure sensor issue. You apparently cannot just swap to your track tires and rims if they do not have tire pressure sensors. If you DO find track rims to which you can mount sensors or you have them customed-machined to accept sensors, then you still must reprogram the sensors to accept the new wheels each time you change and on a C6, as contrasted with a C5, you must have some special and expensive RF tool to do so.

What a mess--please see this thread from CF about the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho...49&forum_id=101

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That sucks.

Are there any stiff sidewall sticky compound Nitto 555RII type tires out there that will fit the rears of the new Z?

I'm sure they will eventually come up with a way around this.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
amazing that such an important issue gets such little notice

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
It's not a big deal, is it? If it's set up like the C5, not having the sensors just means that the DIC will bitch at you every 15 minutes or so. Easy enough to ignore, no?

Though I agree, there ought to be a button sequence to disable that function so you could swap tires without having to deal with it at all. It's software, after all, it's not like it would add one iota of additional cost to the car.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I heard that it's different with the C6. That it puts the car into "reduced power mode" I would think that's a problem at the track.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phantasms said:
I heard that it's different with the C6. That it puts the car into "reduced power mode" I would think that's a problem at the track.
Yes, reduced power and you cannot run in comp mode for AH/TC; I think it stays either all "on" or all "off"; and, unlike the C5, magnets won't get it done--you need this expensive RF tool to reset the sensors.

Read the CF thread--it is a mess. I do wonder if the new Z will have the same issue. If so, unless the Feds have required such a thing, Chevy has made a big, big mistake with its "track" car.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
If true - once again GM proves to be dumber than a box of rocks. :D

Amazing stuff there - you think Dave Hill signed off on this feature? Or he was forced by the lawyers to let get through?

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
quickZ said:
One problem with tracking the C6 Z51 will be the tire pressure sensor issue. You apparently cannot just swap to your track tires and rims if they do not have tire pressure sensors. If you DO find track rims to which you can mount sensors or you have them customed-machined to accept sensors, then you still must reprogram the sensors to accept the new wheels each time you change and on a C6, as contrasted with a C5, you must have some special and expensive RF tool to do so.

What a mess--please see this thread from CF about the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho...49&forum_id=101
Thats not the worst of it. I was talking to a guy at the fest who was an instructor at the driving school and because they go through tires so fast he said the C6 requires 100 plus psi to seat the bead on the wheel :eek2: :eek2: If that's the case don't stand to close while they do this! I am looking for confirmation, but if this is the case forget the new wheels I will stick to the old ones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guys, this is not true, at least on my C6. I swapped the wheelset from the Z onto the Z06 and ran 200 miles that way without a single warning. In fact, it is wierd: the DIC continued to display the last measured pressures the whole time...didn't even hit Reset or anything. Others have found the same to be true.

As far as the 100psi mounting pressure, that is normal when mounting a runflat, due to the much stiffer bead. I think the problem is that laws require safety cages to be around the machine when mounting runflats, and not all tire machines are so equipped.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
As far as the 100psi mounting pressure, that is normal when mounting a runflat, due to the much stiffer bead. I think the problem is that laws require safety cages to be around the machine when mounting runflats, and not all tire machines are so equipped.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about how normal 100 plus psi to mount tires is. I for one would not like to be the guy who does this all day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I used my 16" rims and drag radials last night at the Drag strip and didn't even receive a warning until I was on my way home from the track. Now it says service tire pressure sensors, I am hoping it will just reset itself once I put the stock rims and tires back on. I will keep you all posted and by the way I ran a 12.77 @ 112 bone stock with 16" drag radials and no Z51 package.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, I replaced my stock rims and the warning immediately was gone and the car immediately gave me an accurate tire pressure reading. I thought maybe I would have to disconnect the battery but I did not even need to do that!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My understanding was early model year cars were okay; later in the 05 run, the sensors were changed and the problems began.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How late? Mine was built in late June, but I also had the early clutch in my car so who knows!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts