Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my C6 shifter knob today from the ebay and installed it. It's about 3 3/8" tall which is a bit taller than the stock shift knob but fits the hand much nicer. The picture is with the knob installed on a B&M Ripper shifter. Total cost for me was $88 but I had to pay FL tax.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Kool I've been waithing for a pic, odering mine now. Like your hood, did it come painted?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Looks good. Time to vacuum your car :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,442 Posts
Please tell us about your blue on your seats. What are you using on the black dash etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Millenium Z06 - I got the hood from Vette Essentials and it came unpainted.

IT L GO - DOH!!!! You saw that too eh? :blush:

Sanford - The blue on the seats is the piping on my Wet Oakle seat covers. I just use standard Armor All on the dash.

I will tell you guys this. The leather is not a perfect color match to the black leather. The color of the shift knob is a slight bit "greyer", not too noticeable. I was indifferent when I first installed it but the more I look at it, the better I like it. And like I said earlier, it conforms to the hand better than the stock C5 shift knob.

It's an excellent piece and Greg was great to work with. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Millenium Z06 - I got the hood from Vette Essentials and it came unpainted.

IT L GO - DOH!!!! You saw that too eh? :blush:

Sanford - The blue on the seats is the piping on my Wet Oakle seat covers. I just use standard Armor All on the dash.

I will tell you guys this. The leather is not a perfect color match to the black leather. The color of the shift knob is a slight bit "greyer", not too noticeable. I was indifferent when I first installed it but the more I look at it, the better I like it. And like I said earlier, the it conforms to the hand better too.

It's an excellent piece and Greg was great to work with. :thumb:
I bought this same knob and before I installed it, I used some black shoe polish and did a spit shine on the leather that made it darker black to match the boot and car inside. Only takes about 5 minutes and it looks great and makes the leather softer. Do it, you'll be happy. :thumb:

Bob :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rpallas,

You havent had a problem with the shoe shine rubbing off in your hands?

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts
spdrcrj said:
rpallas,

You havent had a problem with the shoe shine rubbing off in your hands?

Jim

Jim, no problem with the shoe polish coming off. I used the Kiwi black paste in the tin and worked it in the leather with a damp cloth (spit shine) to die the leather darker. Since, I have gone over the knob with a leather conditioner and it feels softer than when I got it. Enjoy the new knob.....I have tried 5 or 6 other knobs, and this one is a keeper. If it's good enough for the new C6Z06, it's good enough for us! :thumb:

Bob :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear that. I may cut the B&M down a bit to get the height down to stock shift knob level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts
spdrcrj said:
I hear that. I may cut the B&M down a bit to get the height down to stock shift knob level.
Jim, I have mine on a Mallet shifter. I had to cut it down anyway as the Mallet has smaller threads than the stock 9/16 x 18 size, so I went down about 1 3/4" with a die due to how deep the threads are set in the C6 knob. By looking at your pic, you could afford to go down about 1" and it would be better.

Bob :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Did your C6 knob come threaded for the C5 shifter? This is a reworked factory knob right? Can you post the link to where you got it. :zboobie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JETZ said:
Did your C6 knob come threaded for the C5 shifter? This is a reworked factory knob right? Can you post the link to where you got it. :zboobie:
Yes, it comes threaded for a C5 shift lever. This insert is plastic though so be careful how hard you tighten it. I also dont suggest multiple removal and reinstallation. My C6 knob became worn and I ended up putting the stock one back in.


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33703&item=7982021534&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
JohnS said:
hmmm.. I dont know. It kind of looks out of place to me for some reason.
It probably looks out of place because the leather boot doesn't sit on the bottom of the knob, due to the lower part of the knob cut off.
I ended up putting the whole C6 shifter assembly in the Z, and loved it ever since. Looks perfect in the car.

I also had problems with just the threaded knob. It seems you can only put it on once, as the threads immediately strip when removing and replacing a 2nd time. Then the knob just turns. Ended up sending it back.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top