Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
There were at least two C6 Z06's at Beech Bend on Saturday, and both of the ones I saw were black. Late in the afternoon, they raced repeatedly, including running each other at least once (one redlighted, iirc) and perhaps more times either before or after I left. I'm not sure how many drivers there were- there might have been three or more, including one woman, or the two I saw switch seats may just have been the only ones.

The best time I saw was about a 12.2/122 or 123. IIRC, there was another run with a higher trap speed and higher et, and perhaps the time and speed got mixed. As has been said, in addition to the track surface issues, the ambient temperature was about 48 degrees and the winds were shifting, frequently producing a 20-35mph headwind. More commonly, the runs were in the 12.4- range.

Given the variables and drivers, the times were pretty impressive and first gear looked exceptionally strong. One of the runs had about a 1.74 60-foot time, but I'm not sure it was the quick run. There weren't any other Z's or anything really suitable for a baseline, just some C5 coupes, but one modded one got in a 12.4.

Somebody may have gone quicker before I got there or after I left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
rwd said:
there was another run with a higher trap speed and higher et, and perhaps the time and speed got mixed. .
Man, I wish someone had seen the highest trap speed with their own eyes and reported it back to us. It seems like there were a few runs that noone has witnessed, yet it was those runs that the highest trap speeds were attained. shucks!!

Either way..124 or 126.7 (in terrible weather), looks like we got ourself a winner folks!! Bravo GM :jammin: :jammin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
Don't forget the strong headwind. It was a solid 20mph, and more frequently stronger, probably in the 30-35mph range. No offense to anyone, but I didn't see any drivers in any of the cars (new Z06 or otherwise) that were really nailing their runs, and there really weren't any good baseline cars.

No matter how you cut it, the times were impressive, and I'm not a cheerleader for the car.

Zlicious, I can only tell you what the cars were running when I was there. I got there about 3:15, and I left about 4:15PM. I'll review my material when I have time, and I may be able to add some info later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Folks,
Beach Bend drag strip is notoriously slow. When I was there for the ZR1 conventions, several modified ZR1's were turning low 13's, along with several 405 Z06's that also turned 13's!
There is no traction at that track. Even the late great John
Lingenfelter had trouble driving at Beech Bend on occasion.
No doubt the Z06 will be a mid 11 second car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,548 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
lasmith2112 said:
Dont know if the princess sweet talking Dave Hill last night had anything to do with it or not but a black C6 Z showed up at the strip today at the Birthday Bash. First of all the conditions were terrible. Temp was in the upper 40s, a stiff wind and several periods of light rain. So the first run was mid 13's and he lost to a C5 coupe with a supercharger. Next run was not much better. He finally got a 12.5 before we left. I do not know if he ran anymore after we left or not. Also I did not know the gentleman driving but his reaction times were not the greatest. I have some video if anyone wants to host it. One last note, I did not like the exhaust note at wide open throttle. A bit tinny sounding to me. :cheers:

Is the Bristol Bash held at Beech Bend these days? Where is Beech Bend (KY)? I used to go when it was in Bristol TN. Were these times in TN or KY? I know Bristol TN is a very slow track (elevation)..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
I hate to make up excuses, but according to the guys that were there, here is what we got:

-Headwinds of a minimum of 20 mph (will effect ET and Mph)
-Driver was taking it easy on the car based on what you guys are saying AND in that first video. 1-2 shift was not aggressive at all (will effect ET and Mph)
- It was cold and no traction (effect ET)
-Z06 had a passenger (effect ET and Mph)
-BB sucks in general (effect ET and MPH)

Dare I say that taking away all these "bad" factors might yield to a correct prediction by C&D a few mths ago??....127 mph trap!! :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
niphilli said:
Is the Bristol Bash held at Beech Bend these days? Where is Beech Bend (KY)? I used to go when it was in Bristol TN. Were these times in TN or KY? I know Bristol TN is a very slow track (elevation)..
Beech Bend Drag Strip is located in Bowling Green KY, about 5 miles from the NCM. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Zlicious said:
I hate to make up excuses, but according to the guys that were there, here is what we got:

-Headwinds of a minimum of 20 mph (will effect ET and Mph)
-Driver was taking it easy on the car based on what you guys are saying AND in that first video. 1-2 shift was not aggressive at all (will effect ET and Mph)
- It was cold and no traction (effect ET)
-Z06 had a passenger (effect ET and Mph)
-BB sucks in general (effect ET and MPH)

Dare I say that taking away all these "bad" factors might yield to a correct prediction by C&D a few mths ago??....127 mph trap!! :yeadog:

Just think a good driver (J Rod), good track, good weather and you have 10 second car :jawdrop:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Zlicious said:
I hate to make up excuses, but according to the guys that were there, here is what we got:

-Headwinds of a minimum of 20 mph (will effect ET and Mph)
-Driver was taking it easy on the car based on what you guys are saying AND in that first video. 1-2 shift was not aggressive at all (will effect ET and Mph)
- It was cold and no traction (effect ET)
-Z06 had a passenger (effect ET and Mph)
-BB sucks in general (effect ET and MPH)

Dare I say that taking away all these "bad" factors might yield to a correct prediction by C&D a few mths ago??....127 mph trap!! :yeadog:
You are correct on all points. Beach Bend track is terrible, the weather sucked and the guy driving the new Z, well, was not very good.

Our very own 1fast dog has driven the new Z. This is straight from his mouth, "11.5 quarter at 127 mph. The car is F'ing fast. That is with a capital "F"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,014 Posts
lasmith2112 said:
You are correct on all points. Beach Bend track is terrible, the weather sucked and the guy driving the new Z, well, was not very good.

Our very own 1fast dog has driven the new Z. This is straight from his mouth, "11.5 quarter at 127 mph. The car is F'ing fast. That is with a capital "F"
This is getting too exciting...god I can't wait for this car!!
Thanks for the info lamsmith
 
21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Top