Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
wow, that's one of the few forum's i've ever read where most everyone was mature and imformative. amazing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting to see the point of view of "non" corvette enthusiasts. Bottom line - this car is causing a stir withinin the automotive community and is commanding respect! Makes me feel proud!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There was a lot of snobbishness and elitism all through the thread, to be fair.

Porsche and Corvette have a rivalry, but its been mostly in Porsche's favor. Over the last few years, that has changed somewhat. How do I know? Well, because the P-car lovers in this thread resorted to talking about interior quality on a sports car to salve their bruised egos. I like Porsches myself, but really, a sports car is about low times on the road course, and the new Z and the Ford GT, for that matter, are deadly serious in this arena.

·
Registered
80 Posts
quickZ said:
Well, because the P-car lovers in this thread resorted to talking about interior quality on a sports car to salve their bruised egos.

I couldn't agree more. I like and appreciate ALL sports cars, but what is the true essence of a sports car?? It's the performance! It's the power to weight ratio...it's the handling characteristics...it's the braking...it's the stuff that gets the pulse up. While "fit and finish" applies to ALL cars in general, what sets a sports car apart is the way it performs. Cheers to the corvette team!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes they a lot of them are blind to be comparing the cayman to the z06 as far as performance goes, it wont even be close. But porsche does have certain desirable characteristics (can you say service dept). If it was up to me, i would have every sports car made in my garage. Im not above anything. Even 10k dollar imports that you can mod with 10k and be fast as all hell.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
fresh_Z06 said:
I couldn't agree more. I like and appreciate ALL sports cars, but what is the true essence of a sports car?? It's the performance! It's the power to weight ratio...it's the handling characteristics...it's the braking...it's the stuff that gets the pulse up. While "fit and finish" applies to ALL cars in general, what sets a sports car apart is the way it performs. Cheers to the corvette team!
That's not what I feel is the true essence of a sports car. I think that's the true essence of a race car. A sports car is about the total driving experience in my opinion. Does performance play a part? Of course it does, a huge part. But things like steering feel, balance, brake feel, quality feel matter to me. Of course the Z has all of this in my opinion other than steering feel. For those of you who have driven M3's. Wouldn't it be even better of the steering of the Z was as precise as that? That's what they're saying. Yes, some of them are morons that want to b!tch and say it's "junk". But for the most part I agree with what most of them said.

And also let me say reading that thread got me very very excited about this car again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for posting the thread link. Corvette enthusiasts will never be Porsche enthusiasts and vis versa. I like brute force and having a car I can work on myself. Corvettes are chevy's and I used to hit second hard in a '69 427 only to have a window crank or rearview mirror drop to the floor from the shift impact...so be it!

I can't tell you how many Porsches I have pulled up next to in my Z..and despite my old age and lack of better judgement...have tried to coax them into an 1/8 mile street run...no takers ever!

Different breed!

As long as you're a car enthusiast, whatever makes you happy is fine with me!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bulldozer27 said:
Towards the end of this thread on Rennteam it's stated that Jan Magnussen was scheduled to set an official time at the Nurburgring about a week ago. Is there any word yet on what the outcome was?
Thanks for posting the link. It's a great read and most of them have some respect for the new Z as they should. Both are very good cars. One guy compares a P car to a filet and our beloved Z to a T-bone. Both are good cuts of meat. Like the T-bone our Z is larger and maybe a little rough around the edges. Just the way I like it, rare with lots of torque.

ENJOY and by the way, did you notice if my tail lights were clean because your going to be seeing a lot of those tail lights. Sorry.

D.J. :zboobie: :zboobie:

Mom always said to respect your competition.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
quickZ said:
There was a lot of snobbishness and elitism all through the thread, to be fair.

Porsche and Corvette have a rivalry, but its been mostly in Porsche's favor. Over the last few years, that has changed somewhat. How do I know? Well, because the P-car lovers in this thread resorted to talking about interior quality on a sports car to salve their bruised egos. I like Porsches myself, but really, a sports car is about low times on the road course, and the new Z and the Ford GT, for that matter, are deadly serious in this arena.
I agree with Quick Z. There is a lot of Posche snobs out there. That's why I make a point of blowing the doors of of every Porsche out there. Note the fool that called the new Z06 "junk"... I have no tolerance for those kind of comments from someone who has not even seen the car and driven it.

I looked a a $130k 911 Carerra turbo and the thing had a mediccre radio, poor seats, mediocre A/C, and rusty single piece non-drilled rotors...and only 415 bhp and 350 lb-ft....Please.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bulldozer27 said:
Damn, my thread got hijacked..... :)

What about the laptime?

Sorry--haven't heard a time. My guess is you might hear more soon as LeMans is very close.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gawd... the HP/L argument they resort to is so fricking annoying. It's like they think there is a direct linear relationship for displacement and fuel consumption.

"The pushrod engine is not that efficient. What they do with 7 liters, other companies do with 5".

Comments like that clearly show the poster has no understanding of dyno graphs, torque, and gearing... all they see is 7 liters and think "that is so huge it must GUZZLE gas"... they also think it means a huge engine, when in reality, the LS7's pushrod design saves size and weight over DOHC.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here... but damn...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Totally agree with you, Jay!

The hp/liter is the moto for ricers. That is the only thing in performace related data they can claim superiority. Come to think of it. hp/liter has nothing to do with the actual performance. It is simply a munipulation of the #'s. It is funny, they don't even know that the low-tech push-rod V8 in the Z has a better gas milage than their turbo or high-reving hi-tech engines.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
TetraU said:
Totally agree with you, Jay!

The hp/liter is the moto for ricers. That is the only thing in performace related data they can claim superiority. Come to think of it. hp/liter has nothing to do with the actual performance. It is simply a munipulation of the #'s. It is funny, they don't even know that the low-tech push-rod V8 in the Z has a better gas milage than their turbo or high-reving hi-tech engines.

Also, the OCH engine was invented many years before the cam-in-block motor, for what it's worth. So many folks act as if OHC is the "newer" technology.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
phantasms said:
That's not what I feel is the true essence of a sports car. I think that's the true essence of a race car. A sports car is about the total driving experience in my opinion. Does performance play a part? Of course it does, a huge part. But things like steering feel, balance, brake feel, quality feel matter to me. Of course the Z has all of this in my opinion other than steering feel. For those of you who have driven M3's. Wouldn't it be even better of the steering of the Z was as precise as that? That's what they're saying. Yes, some of them are morons that want to b!tch and say it's "junk". But for the most part I agree with what most of them said.

And also let me say reading that thread got me very very excited about this car again.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I would suggest a sports car, in the classic sense, is a detuned racer for the street. The Ferrari GTO, the 250, the Maserati 450, the 289 A/C Cobra, etc., come to mind. The full race versions might be a little more cammed up, have a full cage, etc., but they were very close. The big, luxury "sporting" cars were GT vehicles, like the 365 GTB Daytona. Sports cars were a hair's breadth away from the race car--luxury, finish and practicality were not really at issue.

This new Z06 has its racing lineage all over it, and it really is a detuned version of the C6-R in many respects. It is as true to the classic definition of a sports car as almost anything sold today at any kind of affordable price, IMHO. It is this, at its heart, that the P-car folks really hate but do not articulate.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
quickZ said:
While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I would suggest a sports car, in the classic sense, is a detuned racer for the street. The Ferrari GTO, the 250, the Maserati 450, the 289 A/C Cobra, etc., come to mind. The full race versions might be a little more cammed up, have a full cage, etc., but they were very close. The big, luxury "sporting" cars were GT vehicles, like the 365 GTB Daytona. Sports cars were a hair's breadth away from the race car--luxury, finish and practicality were not really at issue.

This new Z06 has its racing lineage all over it, and it really is a detuned version of the C6-R in many respects. It is as true to the classic definition of a sports car as almost anything sold today at any kind of affordable price, IMHO. It is this, at its heart, that the P-car folks really hate but do not articulate.

Well said quickZ :yeadog:

The thing that really is amazing to me is the packageing. This is a very large displacement engine in a very small package. Have a look at an L-88, Hemi,(read real Hemi), Boss 429 and realize this engine has the same cubic inch displacement. Those engines are behemoths and think about how much Hp they put out. This light weight, compact engine is an extremely powerful engineering exercise push rods or not. Lift the hood of any 4.6 Cobra and realize this engine is over 140 cubic inchs larger in displacement in a vastly smaller package. Those boys did there home work.

D.J.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Everyone is so mad at us Chevy guys. "Ok, ok..I won't buy a 70K Chevy that will blow the doors off your 200K car in every performance aspect in stock trim. I promise, really" .:lol:

·
Registered
685 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I looked a a $130k 911 Carerra turbo and the thing had ...rusty single piece non-drilled rotors...and only 415 bhp and 350 lb-ft....Please.
I'd guess that at $130k, it was a 996 Turbo - and if it was, then it comes stock with vented and drilled rotors.

Also, the non-X50 optioned 996 Turbo has 415 lb-ft of torque, not 350 lb-ft...

·
Registered
685 Posts
phantasms said:
That's not what I feel is the true essence of a sports car. I think that's the true essence of a race car. A sports car is about the total driving experience in my opinion. Does performance play a part? Of course it does, a huge part. But things like steering feel, balance, brake feel, quality feel matter to me.
I couldn't agree more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts