Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to replace a failed clutch in my C6 Z06. Having not done this before, does anyone out there have a tried and true procedure I can read to help me accomplish this task?

Thanks,

·
21,394 Posts
How do you know it's not the slave bearing or the clutch itself? You need to consider all possibilities.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it happened this way, I pulled my car out of the garage to wash it then take her for a spin. After washing I started her up, went to push in the clutch, the peddle went to the floor with zero resistance, without disengaging the clutch and stayed there. After checking to see if the push rod had become disconnected, which it hadn't, I looked for fluid loss at the master cylinder and under the car and found none.

Knowing this I called my local Chevy dealer, picked the service managers brain, then called a local performance shop to get their opinion, I've pretty well narrowed it down to the master cylinder. Of course I could be wrong and after replacing the master cylinder, if that doesn't cure the situation and I have to replace the slave, I'll know I won't have a week link anywhere.

I figure I can replace the master myself, I just haven't done one in a long time. If it turns out to be the slave, I'll have to have that done by a shop as I don't have the means to pull the transmission.

Any pointers and or special tools needed would be greatly appreciated.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,868 Posts
The master for the C6 is junk, cheaper design then the C5 had

Common to fail is the tip of plunger on the shaft in the master pops off

You might want to take master apart and if same problem then reattach and seal so it cannot come off again and put back together.

If not using a hoist best is take off inner fender off left front so then real easy to pull hose apart and get the bolts off master to firewall

Remember you need a tool to get hose coupler apart of master to slave

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
just Google Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder

·
Registered
3 Posts
just installed a Tick on mine after my clutch pedal stuck to the floor. i love it, a little firmer but very consistent. it took me a little over 3 hours to complete the job. youll need a good tool selection and patience. just make sure you bleed it good before reinstalling the quick disconnect. if you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks all for the input, I'm on a mission!
Just take your time. You may want to take out the drivers seat. I didn't, but I'm only 185 lbs. You have to climb under the dash...upside down. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts