1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the latest tid bits:

Intake:
- Larger, massive air filter (see Halltech's new Stinger
- Halltech has a new Cold Air Induction system for the C6 which will carry over to the C6 Z06 but may utilize the hood scoop as well
- New larger MAF which looks like a computer PCIMA card, which slides in and out (suseptible to scratching ?)

Engine:
- Titanium Rods are forged and heat treated alloy, 480 grams.
- cast pistons
- Wrist pins are standard LS6
- 10mm thicker radiator than C6 LS2
- Radiator has integral Tranny cooler
- seperate Engine oil cooler is air/oil & mounted in front of radiator
- False cap on RH Valve Cover (old oil fill) is not intended to come OFF and if it is removed requires disassembly to repair.
- PF 48 oil filter has different pitch threads
- PCV system is vented to and uses Dry Sump Oil Reservoir Tank for oil seperation (2 lines at top)

Exhaust:
- 3" SS
- vacume pressure opens Muffler Bypass Valve @3,500 RPM @ 25% throttle with TC/AH ON
- Muffler Bypass opens @ 3,000 RPM in Comp. Mode @ 25% throttle

Tranny:
- HD T-56
- NOT the close ratio box, has standard C6 ratios
- improved 1st gear
- hardened, 1 piece counter shaft
- Integral oil/water cooler with Radiator
- Mechanical Pump
- New bellhousing
- cold return flows thru Diff cooler 1st

Diff.:
- Larger Ring & Pinion
- Hardened Input shaft
- Hardened output shafts
- Diff cooler integral with Tranny
- Cooled fluid is spray oiler (sprayed directly on gears rather than normal "sling" oiling) upon return
- 3.42:1

Brakes:
- Monoblock fixed, NOT floating calipers
- 6 piston Front with 6 individual pads
- 14" front rotor
- 4 piston Rear with 4 individual pads
- 13.4" rear rotor

Fuel:
- 93 Octane recommended
- will suffer HP loss at 91 octane with timing retarded

Tires:
- rear 325/30ZR19 EMT on 12x19 has 13.6" tread width

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It's interesting that the MAF can be removed and replaced. A plug in if you will. The PCIMA cards that I have seen are a rectangular flat eight inch thick +- device. It will be interesting to see it. This car is an engineer's play ground. I'm sure they had a lot of fun putting this thing together. The packaging guys must have had a lot of long nights.

D.J.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Good info, I didn't see anything about a improved clutch, That's not good IMO. :eek:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Blackrazor said:
OK,

So, with the tranny being what it is (standard C6 ratios), a 3.42:1 diff, the diameter of the rear tire and red line of the engine, does anyone know what the redline top speeds will be for each gear? So far, all I know is redline in first is about 62-63 MPH.

7200 RPM

1 62.9
2 93.9
3 128.6
4 167.2
5 225.9

7000 RPM
1 61.1
2 91.3
3 125.0
4 162.6
5 219.0

·
Registered
581 Posts
The gearing is interestng. If you have DOT drag tires, a fast track, a cold day, or some mods, you will need to shift to 4th or raise the rev limit.

Assuming you have a roll bar so they will let you run at all!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought I'd add a bit of info/correct some points.

The Z06 WILL use the same MM6 box/ratios as the Z51 although with the refinements. There isnt actually a "close-ratio" trans option available in the C6 as there was back in the Shark days. Just two diff boxes with similarly spaced although different ratios.

The Hitachi probe style MAF sensor does look like a PCMCIA card but it doesnt just slide in, it IS screwed to the intake pipe. Also of note is that the MAF isnt whats susceptible to scratching but the entire intake pipe, as when you remove it for air filter service you need to be careful not to damage its finish.( Delphi lost the MAF sensor bid to Hitachi as the Delphi unit was too restrictive.)

The radiator is 10mm larger than the c5 Z06 not the C6 LS2

Vacuum actually holds the EFCV(exhaust flow control valves) closed, not open and as such it will be an amazingly simple mod to run them open(just disconnect and plug the source)

The battery now lives in the right rear cargo area because the oil tank resides under the hood where the battery goes.

There is a new large, air-oil cooler for engine oil.

Max hp is 505hp @ 6300rpm.

:usa:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
MAVEN said:
Just thought I'd add a bit of info/correct some points.

The Z06 WILL use the same MM6 box/ratios as the Z51 although with the refinements. There isnt actually a "close-ratio" trans option available in the C6 as there was back in the Shark days. Just two diff boxes with similarly spaced although different ratios.

The Hitachi probe style MAF sensor does look like a PCMCIA card but it doesnt just slide in, it IS screwed to the intake pipe. Also of note is that the MAF isnt whats susceptible to scratching but the entire intake pipe, as when you remove it for air filter service you need to be careful not to damage its finish.( Delphi lost the MAF sensor bid to Hitachi as the Delphi unit was too restrictive.)

The radiator is 10mm larger than the c5 Z06 not the C6 LS2

Vacuum actually holds the EFCV(exhaust flow control valves) closed, not open and as such it will be an amazingly simple mod to run them open(just disconnect and plug the source)

The battery now lives in the right rear cargo area because the oil tank resides under the hood where the battery goes.

There is a new large, air-oil cooler for engine oil.

Max hp is 505hp @ 6300rpm.

:usa:

Hey!! welcome Aboard Maven!! :thumb: You have some Great posts over at DC! :yeadog:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Being from CA, I read this with disgust!

"Fuel:
- 93 Octane recommended
- will suffer HP loss at 91 octane with timing retarded"

Dammit, will pouring octane booster into the gas tank help any?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Rapid Transit said:
Being from CA, I read this with disgust!

"Fuel:
- 93 Octane recommended
- will suffer HP loss at 91 octane with timing retarded"

Dammit, will pouring octane booster into the gas tank help any?
the cheaper thing to do is to problem have it retuned to 91 octane fuel than to buy octane booster over n over again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts