Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, my friend and I (AndyZ06) love to talk cars and assume what car is going to be quicker. We are both car enthusiasts and like the cars for what they are. We talk about which car is going to be quicker/faster/etc...and when we get to that subject, it is hard for us to say really since the car is not out yet...So, i decided to make this thread and ask you guy to be honest in which car do you think will fair better in:

0-60
0-100
0-150
60-0
top speed
Nurburgring

So, I will go first...remember, this is jmo

0-60- Z06
0-100- Z06
0-150- not sure..the Viper is a torque monster- too close imo
60-0- Viper..brakes are UNREAL!!
top speed- Z06
Nurburgring- Well, the Viper hasnt beat the C5Z around the track, so i am going to go with the C6 Z.

Opinions??

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
0-60 Z06. Power to weight with huge tires.
0-100 Z06. Ditto
0-150 Z06. Ditto
60-0 Z06. The C5 almost had the Viper in braking.
top speed Z06. Wicked drag coefficient.
Nurburgring I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
0-60 Z06
0-100 Z06
0-150 Viper
60-0 Z06
top speed Viper
Nurburgring Z06
Top speed may stick with the Z06 but I don't know something tell me they are gonne keep it below 200

·
Registered
243 Posts
Zlicious said:
Alright guys, my friend and I (Andy 98 RT10) love to talk cars and assume what car is going to be quicker. We are both car enthusiasts and like the cars for what they are. We talk about which car is going to be quicker/faster/etc...and when we get to that subject, it is hard for us to say really since the car is not out yet...So, i decided to make this thread and ask you guy to be honest in which car do you think will fair better in:

0-60
0-100
0-150
60-0
top speed
Nurburgring

So, I will go first...remember, this is jmo

0-60- Z06
0-100- Z06
0-150- not sure..the Viper is a torque monster- too close imo
60-0- Viper..brakes are UNREAL!!
top speed- Z06
Nurburgring- Well, the Viper hasnt beat the C5Z around the track, so i am going to go with the C6 Z.

Opinions??
Good comparison Zlicious, there are millions of dollars that will either be going to DC or GM based on the answers to these questions.

0-60 mph I would say both will get best times of 3.8 sec.
0-100 Viper by a little bit. Again the C6Z has a 200 lb weight advantage, but the viper has more power and so much more torque.
0-150 Viper. I've seen SRT-10s dyno 450-460 rwhp and and higher speeds the big power will come into play. I also think the 500 rwhp of torque will offset the weght advantage.
60-0 SRT-10 by a little bit. Now that the viper has ABS and has set records in braking, even with the awesome brakes the new Z will have, I think the viper will edge it out.

Top Speed-Both around 195. I know the new Z will have a better drag coeffecient so maybe the Z will edge it out by 1 or 2 mph.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The new Z will be a better performer than the Viper in all apps, stock-for-stock. Dodge will have to make some upgrades to run with the Z, which they can, of course, do pretty easily. I am certainly not trying to count the Viper out, as the differences are small.

The Z should have equal traction, lower weight, equal power (and I would suspect faster power delivery because of the light reciprocating mass--titanium rods), better suspension, better brakes (the new 6 piston brakes with the indiv pads should be better than the Viper's brakes and perhaps an industry break-through as they will reduce pad taper on the track) and lower Cd. Also, the Chevy is a newer design.

I think the Z is closer to a race car in design and execution than a Viper, and that will tell.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quickZ said:
The new Z will be a better performer than the Viper in all apps, stock-for-stock. Dodge will have to make some upgrades to run with the Z, which they can, of course, do pretty easily. I am certainly not trying to count the Viper out, as the differences are small.

The Z should have equal traction, lower weight, equal power (and I would suspect faster power delivery because of the light reciprocating mass--titanium rods), better suspension, better brakes (the new 6 piston brakes with the indiv pads should be better than the Viper's brakes and perhaps an industry break-through as they will reduce pad taper on the track) and lower Cd. Also, the Chevy is a newer design.

I think the Z is closer to a race car in design and execution than a Viper, and that will tell.
I agree...this is what I was trying to tell my buddy, Andy! Though the Viper has a TQ advantage over the Z (major TQ advantage), the Z has much better gearing, a better CD, lighter weight, same HP, and a 7K redline. Combining all that at once is going to give us an absolute killer!! Can't wait to see comparisons!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Zlicious said:
Opinions??
Well if your talking about the actual times i think the following car would get better times:

0-60 Z06 (first gear 7000rpm advantage).
0-100 Z06
0-150 Viper *might* have a better time
60-0 i know nothing about viper braking but the z06 braking sounds better given the lower weight factor and improved braking.
0-top speed . Viper

And if your talking about "who would be in front" (or who would cover the speeds in lesser distance):

0-60 Z06
0-100 Z06
0-150 Z06
60-0 Z06

As for top speed limit. No idea.
Nurburgring. Ha! the C6 Z06 should be better by far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't wanna even guess the numbers....too close to call and a driver's race. All I can say is I am sure this comparo will surely be settled by some of the major car mags,and then be resettled again and again over the next few years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What Don said, it's going to rely on the driver for the most part. I expect the Z to come out on top in most if not all those categories though.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OutlawDon said:
I don't wanna even guess the numbers....too close to call and a driver's race. All I can say is I am sure this comparo will surely be settled by some of the major car mags,and then be resettled again and again over the next few years.
Even though I think the Z06 is going to be quicker in almost all categories, I am waiting to finalize my decision NOT when the mags test tem, but when i see a Viper and a Z side by side with equal drivers from a 40 punch going at it to 150. Then I will know which car is really quicker.. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
0-60.....ZO6
0-100....Z06
0-150....:-? close!
60-0......:-? close!
top speed.....Z06
Nurburgring....Z06

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ZO6 AL-X said:
0-60.....ZO6
0-100....Z06
0-150....:-? close!
60-0......:-? close!
top speed.....Z06
Nurburgring....Z06
It looks like some of us agree that up to 150 it might be close. Damn that V10.. :p

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I defintley think that the Z06 will be able to beat it up to 150. Remember once you start from 0 weight makes a big difference. the new Z will be at least .5 seconds quicker to 150 than the viper. TRUST ME ON THIS!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i love that we live in a time where you have to consider 0-150 times as a true test of the car's abilites because they're just way too powerful for 0-60 to mean much of anything.

·
Registered
243 Posts
While I think the Viper will be a little faster, I admit I could have it wrong.

Now that GM has already built some C6Zs, they could give them to magazines to start testing them tomorrow if they wanted to. It seems like they're holding out to keep C6 sales stable. I guess they want to be doing everything they can for sales at this point.

·
Registered
296 Posts
AndyZ06 said:
Good comparison Zlicious, there are millions of dollars that will either be going to DC or GM based on the answers to these questions.

0-60 mph I would say both will get best times of 3.8 sec.
0-100 Viper by a little bit. Again the C6Z has a 200 lb weight advantage, but the viper has more power and so much more torque.
0-150 Viper. I've seen SRT-10s dyno 450-460 rwhp and and higher speeds the big power will come into play. I also think the 500 rwhp of torque will offset the weght advantage.
60-0 SRT-10 by a little bit. Now that the viper has ABS and has set records in braking, even with the awesome brakes the new Z will have, I think the viper will edge it out.

Top Speed-Both around 195. I know the new Z will have a better drag coeffecient so maybe the Z will edge it out by 1 or 2 mph.
What's the logic behind your prediction? The new Z06 will be around 3150LB and the Viper is around 3400LB. That is about .25'' difference in a 1/4 mile race all things being equal. They have the identical hp rating @ 500hp and the Viper has better # in torque. Logic would indicate that the Viper will get beat in every category. Your line of prediction is purely wishful thinking.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Race on Paper

This is off Car and Driver
2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
Estimated base price: $86,000
Engine type: pushrod 20-valve V-10, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 505 cu in, 8285cc
Power (SAE net): 500 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 525 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 98.8 in
Length/width/height: 175.6/75.2/47.0 in
Curb weight: 3450 lb
C/D-estimated performance:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.5 sec Standing 1/4-mile: 12.1 sec @ 121 mph
Projected fuel economy (mfr's est):
EPA city driving: 12 mpg
EPA highway driving: 20 mpg
It looks like the weight difference is even more pronounced. For the Viper to get the same Wt/hp ratio, it will have to be making roughly 550hp. Now if like it's rumored by some that Z06 is at around 512~517 crank hp, then the Viper would have to be making 3450 / (3150/515) = 564 crank HP. 60 HP is a lot to make up for.

I think the snake is toast!

·
Registered
243 Posts
TetraU said:
What's the logic behind your prediction? The new Z06 will be around 3150LB and the Viper is around 3400LB. That is about .25'' difference in a 1/4 mile race all things being equal. They have the identical hp rating @ 500hp and the Viper has better # in torque. Logic would indicate that the Viper will get beat in every category. Your line of prediction is purely wishful thinking.
Your post makes no sense, is poorly written and contradicts itself so I'm not going to even bother getting into it.

Have you owned a Z06 or a viper?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The SRT10 dyno's at 450RWHP - 460RWHP and TONS of torque. That's about 530-540 at the flywheel (15% loss), and way more torque that the C6 Z06. It's going to be a very close race, but I put my money on the Z06 stock vs. stock - but barely. That being said, just about EVERYONE mods the SRT10 in one way of another, as there is much room for more HP (low compression, mega-cubes, etc...). Not many stock Vipers roaming the streets. I don't think the C6Z06 will be as 'modified', because the factory did it right from the get-go. Props to GM.

·
Registered
296 Posts
AndyZ06 said:
Your post makes no sense, is poorly written and contradicts itself so I'm not going to even bother getting into it.?
Let me spell it out for you:

2006 Viper: 3450/525=6.57 TQ/Wt; 3450/500=6.8 HP/Wt
2006 Z06: 3150/475=6.63 TQ/Wt; 3150/500=6.3 HP/Wt

You tell me who is going to do better?

AndyZ06 said:
Have you owned a Z06 or a viper
Silly question. Have you owned the new Viper or the new Z?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts