Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
ZO6inmyfuture said:
Is it too close in looks to the C6 or do you feel the car looks flat out gorgeous?
Maybe not to close, but definitely close. I think they they did the best they could without speeding a whole lot of money on extra tooling. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The car has lines I don't like too much. I will have to get the car in black to hide those bad angles. I'm trading in when I get more miles on this car.

Can't beat the new-car smell. :D

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The C6 Z06 is going to be the most astonising "bang for the buck" car in history - a performance mile stone like no other...

But it looks aweful.

All that money and effort and skill from the engineers, and they go and ZR-1 package it.

And, mark my words - just like the ZR-1 "unique" design elements, the C6 Coupe will have ALL the Z06 visual design elements within 3 years... rendering the greatest spec Corvette to "sleeper" status - $80,000 sleeper.... :lol: ;)

My car "old school" C5 FRC Z06 has a 9/2000 build date - and almost 5 years later - it is still just as unique and standout among the rest of the Corvette family as it was the day it rolled out of BG - and always will be.

The C6 Z06 just sorta blends in and is lost in a crowd of mediocrity.. :p ;)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's got a fantastic engine and brake package, but the looks don't do it for me. Just don't like the back of the C6 at all, and the shiny pimp wheels would definately have to go. Each to his own though I guess.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
ZO6inmyfuture said:
Is it too close in looks to the C6 or do you feel the car looks flat out gorgeous?
The Looks need improvement for sure...Flat Out Gorgeous is NOT how most will describe he looks of this car. I must admit tho that the cars awesome performance will help the car look better :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't think anyone can argue that Chevy got the technical aspects right on the new Z. A big :thumb: to the boys in blue for bringing back the 427 (yes, I know, it is still a small block).

However, I concur with many folks who are very disappointed with the styling. It's not the fixed headlights, although they could have been executed much better IMHO. I don't care for the basic C6 style and after looking at dozens of C6Z pics from all angles and in several colors, I see it as a very small stylistic departure from the base coupe. As someone else said, it looks better in the darker colors because the darker hues hide the lines better. For example, to my eyes, the yellow cars look awful.. And that is just a :cry: shame, once again IMHO.

I really want a 427, but I would rather have it in my car whether it be the LS7 or a C5R based motor with perhaps the LS7 heads. Whehter I cann afford it is another issue..

I am still waiting to see the pricing, although it "appears" that some more credible information may be surfacing that hints at a base price of $65-$66k. I am still gonna give it some more time and keep working hard to like the style more. Thing is, I don't think I should have to work so hard at this. As an example, although I have no interest in purchasing one, the new Mustang style immediately worked for me.

The cars I choose as toys must be aesthetically pleasing to me, as well as having the perfomance credentials..

·
Registered
609 Posts
The C6 Z06 Is Going to be the Most *Astonising* Car In In HISTORY Showing what Team Work Can Do . I love the Looks ...... ITS MY DREAM CAR

·
Registered
311 Posts
IMHO it surprises me that some people say they don't like that the new C6Z06 looks a lot like the C6. The C5 Z06 in my opinion looks very much like a C5 and everyone loves it! If you don't like the look of the C6 period, then I understand you would most likely not like the C6Z look, but other than a few design cues that are not really distinguishable by anyone other than corvette or car people it seems the C5Z is not visually so much different than the C5. I say this not just because I love the look of the new C6 and C6Z but because I have had sooo many people ask me what is different about my Z06 compared to a regular C5. I have to point out to them the grated intake and side scoops and Z06 badging. I even had one guy in a Camaro the other day strain to read the ZO6 badge on my Z as if at first he didnt realize it was not just a C5. Again, just MHO but it seems like I haven't read anything about the look of the C5Z being like the C5 and just a lot about C6Z looking too much like the C6 :z:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I think it's beautiful and I want one.......BAD! :z:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Personally I like the frc version such as the c5 z06 way better, I would have rather given up some top speed and kept the FRC on the new c6 and it would definately be going in my garage, but I must say it looks way better in person than it does in photos :thumb:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In person it looks much more like the base car than you might expect.

Last weekend, there were two of them parked on the NCM drive between the parking lot and the circle where the Z06 rollout was about to take place. One was black, and one was Wil Cooksey's red car.

I can't tell you how many Corvette enthusiasts anxious to see the new Z06 walked right by them without stopping.

Several times, as an experiment, I pointed a camera at one of them as people walked by. Invariably, they'd walk on for some distance, then turn around stop, pause, look at the car for a few moments, realize what it was, grab for a camera and come back to take pictures. They thought the cars were just other standard C6s.

To be sure, it is an improvement over the base car, but it should have been the car they made all along.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
vettemann7 said:
IMHO it surprises me that some people say they don't like that the new C6Z06 looks a lot like the C6. The C5 Z06 in my opinion looks very much like a C5 and everyone loves it! If you don't like the look of the C6 period, then I understand you would most likely not like the C6Z look, but other than a few design cues that are not really distinguishable by anyone other than corvette or car people it seems the C5Z is not visually so much different than the C5. I say this not just because I love the look of the new C6 and C6Z but because I have had sooo many people ask me what is different about my Z06 compared to a regular C5. I have to point out to them the grated intake and side scoops and Z06 badging. I even had one guy in a Camaro the other day strain to read the ZO6 badge on my Z as if at first he didnt realize it was not just a C5. Again, just MHO but it seems like I haven't read anything about the look of the C5Z being like the C5 and just a lot about C6Z looking too much like the C6 :z:
The C5 Z is based on the FRC style, which is very distinct from the coupe. Many comments re C6Z styling concern the fact that the new Z is the base coupe with some wheel flares and a small hood scoop. There have been photoshops offered illustrating what the new Z would look like in an FRC style - personally, I find those much more attractive styling exercises. The body lines are quite different and discernible between coupe and FRC. For me, there is an added bonus in that the FRC offers a distinct trunk area.

Different stokes... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't think the exterior design of the car has set it aside from the standard C6. However, in silver, it does look mean.
I asked Dave Hill about the Red, specifically, Torch Red and why would they discontinue a successful color. His comment was, well, we felt that we had too many Corvettes in the Torch Red and thought it was time to change. Hmmmmmmm, lets see, they have too many Torch Reds, must be successful, we need production numbers and sales, so lets not produce a color that the people like and change to something that may be questionable??? All makes sense to me.
Possible base price $66,449.00 and a loaded car $73,239.00.

·
Registered
311 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
The C5 Z is based on the FRC style, which is very distinct from the coupe. Many comments re C6Z styling concern the fact that the new Z is the base coupe with some wheel flares and a small hood scoop. There have been photoshops offered illustrating what the new Z would look like in an FRC style - personally, I find those much more attractive styling exercises. The body lines are quite different and discernible between coupe and FRC. For me, there is an added bonus in that the FRC offers a distinct trunk area.

Different stokes... :cheers:

I totally agree with you, just commenting that the average person doesn't know the differences nor would they notice the FRC differences you pointed out (in my experiences, anyways) unless you showed them what you were talking about. I agree it would have been nicer if they would have put the FRC style on the new Z.
:z: . :cheers:

·
Registered
412 Posts
ZO6inmyfuture said:
Is it too close in looks to the C6...
Boy, if the problem were only looking too much like the C6 coupe!

But that's the heart of the problem since the C6-styling is WAY too tame looking with no sexy curves at all.

Where is the coke-bottle shape? Just about everybody likes the coke-bottle shape since it makes the car look muscular like a racecar. Since the C6 has the opposite of the coke-bottle shape with it straight sides, it looks like a 98-pound weakling. The C6-styling has ZERO MUSCLE!

I mean, even Popeye's Olive Oyl looks 'ripped' compared to the C6's unimaginative, wimpy knock-kneed styling!

Now that we have a 98-pound weakling to work with, GM decided that 'bolting' on those rear-flairs (..the front flairs actually look good) and those hideous-looking rear brake ducts would make it look cool, but all they accomplished was to make the C6Z look like the comical Mustang which has all those awful-looking fake scoops, etc!

So yes, the C6Z looks way too much like the C6 coupe which turns out to be the worst sentence imaginable.

...or do you feel the car looks flat out gorgeous?
I feel the car looks flat-out boring, bordering on uninspired ugliness. The car has no 'balls' whatsoever!

IT L GO said:
I think they they did the best they could without speeding a whole lot of money on extra tooling. :cheers:
I disagree.

Since GM committed to those pasted-on rear-flairs which required new tooling, they could have instead done the 'right thing' which would have been to make the rear-quarters into a wide-body configuration. It would have cost nothing more versus the molds required for those ridiculous looking rear flairs.

All GM had to do was give it some quarters like the C6R, and they would not be able to make enough of them to keep up with demand.

That C6R is absolutely stunning to behold! Why? Because it looks MUSCULAR with it's coke-bottle shape!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts