Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I guess I was spoiled with the C6 factory race series in GT1, up through the middle of 2009. I was at the 2008 Petite Lemans and they ran totally uncontested in that class, but still ran hard for the fans.

Well their performance/luck in GT2 has been pretty bad. 6th to 7th place behind Porsche, Ferrari and even BMW is getting old. Why do they name the cars ZR1 when they are detuned to far less power than a stock C6 Z06? I can see Porsche and Ferrari as viable competitors, but 4 seater BMWs. How much extra weight do they penalize the C6's to carry to allow the BMWs to compete. Go figure:-?

·
Registered
943 Posts
"How much extra weight do they penalize the C6's to carry to allow the BMWs to compete"

...apparently, this weekend, not enough ; )

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
"How much extra weight do they penalize the C6's to carry to allow the BMWs to compete"

...apparently, this weekend, not enough ; )
Well it looks like all GT competitors are running about 2700 lbs to 2750 lbs in race trim. Now when you consider that the ZR1, which is portly by Z06 standards at 3350 lbs, drops about 600 lbs to race weight, and the BMW gets a big advantage of dropping about 900 to 1000 lbs to reach this weight, that the BMW is getting a great handicap advantage. In addition, the "ZR1" is detuned from 638 hp street to 470 hp (less than Z06), while the Bimmers and Ferrari are allowed to boost their street horsepower by 50 to 70hp to match or better the "ZR1" castrated power levels. Also the "ZR1" must convert to smaller heavy cast iron brakes from its superior larger ceramic brakes. So I don't see any ZR1 resemblances left over just campaigning a standard Vette, Z06 or Grand Sport. The only reason Vette won at Petitte Lemans was due to Ferrari running out of gas, 30 seconds from the finish line. No big advantage given to the Vettes here.

They should allow weight reductions from stock to race weights on even ratios. Whatever happened to letting you race with the car in production form with slight weight reduction and safety gear added? This encourages manufacturers to make their cars as good as they can be off the factory. NASCAR is all cookie cutter bodies with 1960's carbureted retricted engines. Nothing to better street cars there. ALMS should be allowing manufacturers to shine the greatness of their street cars without tying their hands behind their backs. If a true ZR1 with race slicks can murder Ferraris, BMWs, RX8s, etc; then so be it, as it reflects reality. That would force the others to build a better car and everyone wins with improved breeds.

·
9,755 Posts
I was at the race Saturday and was shocked to hear the Ferrari ran out of gas - 2 turns from the finish line. I wonder if the crew member who made the fuel calculations is still employed :D
The Ferrari was strong all day, and the Vettes were also running well - consistently ahead of the BMWs/other Ferraris/Ford GTs/etc. It was a great race to witness first-hand. There was lots of passing going on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was at the race Saturday and was shocked to hear the Ferrari ran out of gas - 2 turns from the finish line. I wonder if the crew member who made the fuel calculations is still employed :D
The Ferrari was strong all day, and the Vettes were also running well - consistently ahead of the BMWs/other Ferraris/Ford GTs/etc. It was a great race to witness first-hand. There was lots of passing going on.
I watched and recorded the race on Speed. Looked like a close race all the way without too may accidents. I went to the PL in 2008 with no rain, but they ran the full 10 hours, due to many accidents (1 VERY serious accident at night just past the bridge!).

No dirty tricks like 2009 Laguna Seca, when Porsche's Jorgmeister (sp?) slammed the Vette Magnusen against the left wall at the finish via a pit-manuever, which caused Ian to hit the right wall nearly head on at the finish.

Sorry I missed it. They said it was a record crowd. What is the deal with the Corvette corral? If you just show up with a nice Vette, can you park there or is there some registration or fee involved?

·
9,755 Posts
Well, one of the BMWs did run one of the Porches off the track and suffered a penalty-box visit for his efforts :lol:
I'm not sure how the corral works. I think you have to pre-register.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts