Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clearly with 500 HP on tap the new Z will be quite a lot faster than the present one.

But I'm wondering how it will feel, SOTP. Rumors have it with really tall gears, like 60+ in first and mid 90's in 2nd at redline.

Will the very tall gearing make it not really feel much faster than the current one, even if the numbers say otherwise? Will a rear end swap be almost necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
No real reason for the higher gearing for most of us. I won't be doing 190+ - my fun is from 0 - 100.

·
Registered
66 Posts
novetteyet said:
Clearly with 500 HP on tap the new Z will be quite a lot faster than the present one.

But I'm wondering how it will feel, SOTP. Rumors have it with really tall gears, like 60+ in first and mid 90's in 2nd at redline.

Will the very tall gearing make it not really feel much faster than the current one, even if the numbers say otherwise? Will a rear end swap be almost necessary?

There's a ton more torque in the LS7. I doubt very seriously that you will have problems not "feeling" the power.

That said, if you desire more, I think I'd go for a couple engine mods to up the power before I change the rear end.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's just the thing though. Say it's got about 18% more torque (475 vs 400). If it's geared 20% higher, the torque at the rear wheels in a particular gear is about the same.

It'll blow the current one away in a race that involves more than one gear, because it can stay in 1st to 60-ish, while C5Z has to shift out by 49 or so.

I dunno. Maybe I'm full of it.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
novetteyet said:

It has 3.42's...Same gear ratio as a Z06. I believe, the reason it can hit 60's in 1st gear is due to the 7K rpms. But as far as the gearing, even the first gear ratio is the same as the C5 Z..someone correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zlicious said:
It has 3.42's...Same gear ratio as a Z06. I believe, the reason it can hit 60's in 1st gear is due to the 7K rpms. But as far as the gearing, even the first gear ratio is the same as the C5 Z..someone correct me if i am wrong.
Rear end is 3.42, but first gear is a little taller. I'll post the number if I can find it. You are correct that the reason for hitting 63 in first is the higher revs.

What I'm really saying Novette is that I wouldn't worry. Everyone who has driven the car has said it's something special. The fun to drive factor will be way up there. Again, if it's a tiny bit lacking for you, then a little intake and exhaust work should put it over the top. I really wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
kamikazichaser said:
Rear end is 3.42, but first gear is a little taller. I'll post the number if I can find it. .
Are you sure first gear is taller? I thought the only gear that is taller, and different than the C5 Z06, is the 5th gear. From what I remember (but i am getting old, so dont hold me to it..;) ) the C6 Z06 has the same gearing as the C6 Z51 package, which has the same gearing as the C5 Z06 with the exception of 5th gear. Is that right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zlicious said:
Are you sure first gear is taller? I thought the only gear that is taller, and different than the C5 Z06, is the 5th gear. From what I remember (but i am getting old, so dont hold me to it..;) ) the C6 Z06 has the same gearing as the C6 Z51 package, which has the same gearing as the C5 Z06 with the exception of 5th gear. Is that right?
This is from the SAE world congress

Z06 gear ratios: 2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1, 0.74, 0.5
C6 Z51 ratios: 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1, 0.84, 0.57

·
Registered
315 Posts
When I watched the video of Beech Bend, it looked like the car was going through the traps in third, and not deep into third either. could comone post the gearing (rear and trans) of the 04 Z and if possible say what gear that car traps in.

If the 06 Z traps in third an axle ratio change would substantially change the 1/4 mile and SOTP feel.

Of course it would probably increase the 0-60 time because you would have to shift

·
Registered
413 Posts
Zlicious said:
this is my understanding: gears are the same (3:42s) but tranny is is not....C6 ZO6 tranny is the same as C5 and same as non Z51 C6 and is not the C5 ZO6 tranny....60mph in 1st gear because of combination of 3:42s-tranny ratio-7000rpm red line.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
the new Z06 is geared out to maximize its performance just like the C5z06 is geared out to maximize its performance IMO!

the C6 Z06 will hit 0-60 quicker with its gearing then if it had C5 Z06 gearing, C5 Z is claimed 3.9seconds, but to accomplish that ,alot of practice and experience is nedded, I believe with the New Z hitting 60+ in 1st the shiffting into 2nd is out of the equation, plus more torque and bigger gear will give it more a smooth launch so it will be much eaisier to accomplish sub 4second 0-60s with average drivers...

for 1/4 mile, I cant wait to see what they will do, we all know what the c5 Z06 is capable of, can you imagine, same weight, more torque, way more power, and one less gear to shift at the top end, the only problem is the roll cage rule has to go down even more then 11.49 :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I was told it had 3.42s in the rear and asked if i could order 3.70s or so when the car is built. Rick told me he didn't know yet if i could order a special rear end gear change. I'll see when my number comes up and let you all know. The biggest problem with the new LS7 is going to be traction. Drag Radials are on top of my list but I'll have wait until next year probably to get the new size tires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree that traction is going to be a huge problem in the Z06. Given a little practice the Z06 should easily be a 11.5-11.6 car!

·
Registered
66 Posts
C5 CU said:
this is my understanding: gears are the same (3:42s) but tranny is is not....C6 ZO6 tranny is the same as C5 and same as non Z51 C6 and is not the C5 ZO6 tranny....60mph in 1st gear because of combination of 3:42s-tranny ratio-7000rpm red line.
uh, you might want to look two posts above yours. I have the gear ratios posted there.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
kamikazichaser said:
This is from the SAE world congress

Z06 gear ratios: 2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1, 0.74, 0.5
C6 Z51 ratios: 2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1, 0.84, 0.57
Can someone confirm this..i could have sworn the new Z will have the same gear ratio as the C5 Z06, with the exception of 5th gear. Anyone?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zlicious said:
Can someone confirm this..i could have sworn the new Z will have the same gear ratio as the C5 Z06, with the exception of 5th gear. Anyone?
Well, I didn't make them up if that's what you mean. There were posts on both DC and CF by members who attended the SAE WC. I don't think they were posted to mislead and they were posted with all the other SAE data about the Z06.

I believe it enough to post it, and I tend not to post falsehoods. Believe what you want.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
kamikazichaser said:
Well, I didn't make them up if that's what you mean. There were posts on both DC and CF by members who attended the SAE WC. I don't think they were posted to mislead and they were posted with all the other SAE data about the Z06.

I believe it enough to post it, and I tend not to post falsehoods. Believe what you want.
Chill brutha..;) I am just trying to get someone to confirm..thats all.. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Zlicious said:
Sorry the C6 Z06 will have the MN6 non Z51 gear spacing
2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1, 0.74, 0.50 :eyes:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
IT L GO said:
Sorry the C6 Z06 will have the MN6 non Z51 gear spacing
2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1, 0.74, 0.50 :eyes:
I believe you are correct, IT L GO!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts