Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Turbo chargers are great on Indy type race cars or dieslels,(probably spelt wrong) drive a Porsche with one, and you will see what I'm talking about. The turbo spins up on exhaust and that doesn't happen for the stop light John Force show down.
As when about 3500 r's a smack in your lower back, as the turbo is now spoolled up. Which proves for intersting thoughts while shifting on a slick surface in a corner when the tubo comes on. For street stuff with a auto good luck setting that up, as most here are mercifully stick cars, no power till you get the rev's up.
If you wan't more low end from your Z change the gear in your diff, as a 3.90 will make a big difference, as perhaps 1/3 the cost to do a head and cam change.
However this new variation 427 with a dry sump and the good stuff, rods and crank, those 11 to 1 pistons are gone with some new ones and a new cam profile, with the correct pressure (can't tell all) should approach 700hp and still be streetable, with a blower not a turbo. A turbo doable, just rediculos to price and install.
A power increase requires additional changes, and we will NOT install with out them in place.
As in all Hi-perf mods reqiure parts to make them work safe and correct, and if your Corvette doesn't meet those standards we will NOT install any parts.
Sorry as an example we will not put any blower on a C5 without a aluminum radiator and a larger brake system, weither you buy it from us or where ever.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks for the description on how a turbo works (even though that wasn't the question). I'm sure 99.99% of the forum members already know this though.

To answer your question, I believe as soon as the tuners can get their hands on a C6 Z, they will begin getting packages ready. My guess is January 07 for some H&C packages to start showing up. Mid 07 for turbo & sc packages.

:z:

·
Registered
179 Posts
itchynackers said:
Thanks for the description on how a turbo works (even though that wasn't the question). I'm sure 99.99% of the forum members already know this though.

To answer your question, I believe as soon as the tuners can get their hands on a C6 Z, they will begin getting packages ready. My guess is January 07 for some H&C packages to start showing up. Mid 07 for turbo & sc packages.

:z:
A turbo is a wast of money on a street car, as the spool up speed is over 3,000 r's. Super Charger a more street freindly deal. As far as cracking the new codes for a cam or blower change on the current C6, well its now the end of March and no one, sorry did you read that NO ONE has done it yet.

·
Registered
685 Posts
tonto said:
...drive a Porsche with one, and you will see what I'm talking about. The turbo spins up on exhaust and that doesn't happen for the stop light John Force show down.
As when about 3500 r's a smack in your lower back, as the turbo is now spoolled up. Which proves for intersting thoughts while shifting on a slick surface in a corner when the tubo comes on.
Two points...

The 996 Turbo produces maximum boost at 2400 rpm, and it's at 75% maximum boost at 2000 rpm. There's no lack of power off the line; I think a 0-60 time of 3.7 is a clear indication that the turbos are not holding the car back.

As for boost and cornering, the 911 Turbo is like any high powered sports car...you have to watch the throttle application post apex. The boost doesn't just come on like an on/off switch because, if driven correctly, the rpm's stay in the power (i.e. boost) range with the turbos spun up.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I have a feeling the stock LS7 has a lot of potiential left in it just as it is...

We'll see but who here doesn't think the Corvette team will boost the power in the second or third year? Or maybe both?

I wonder how many mod maniac C5 owners are going to pick up a C6 Z06 and leave it just as it is....

500 hp with the warranty from GM....I'd say leave the car alone...

With that said...I'd say 6 months..tuners will have the cars upgraded for those that just need to have even more power.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dock,

A 911TT has big advantages. Four-wheel drive to apply the power. The car apex's completely different on the track than a Corvette. It also has fantastic brakes. Probably the best overall production setup ever. So it will go in deeper than a stock Z06, apex ealier and be fully on the gas much earlier.

With my H/C setup(451 rwhp), I wasted a Renntech StageIII(stock interior TT, 650 hp at Thunderhill. We both ran our cars to the limit. I have tell you every turn sucked with him on my tail. Had the track conditions been bad, it would have turned ugly on me quickly.

My new setup. Dialed in race suspension, 430 Cid and race brake setup. Hehe. I would be casually driving the same at the track, no sweet at 1,500 r.p.m.'s less. Maybe a gear change here and there.

If they can ever cut 500 lbs. out that car w/ four wheel drive and bump the cid up 4.5-5.7 liters, the Corvettes are doomed.

Four wheel drive is the way of the future, just got to get the weight way down.

I have owned two Vettes and two Porsches. 917/GT2/ZR1/Z06

·
Registered
685 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
My new setup. Dialed in race suspension, 430 Cid and race brake setup. Hehe. I would be casually driving the same at the track, no sweet at 1,500 r.p.m.'s less. Maybe a gear change here and there.
Nice setup!

Grim Reaper said:
If they can ever cut 500 lbs. out that car w/ four wheel drive and bump the cid up 4.5-5.7 liters, the Corvettes are doomed.
I agree about the weight.

The 997 Turbo will be a 3.8L, and Porsche is testing a flat-six in the low 4.0L range.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
With 500 HP or about 340 RWHP, the new Z06 is just begging for Headers and a Cam. These two mods alone will bring the RWHP up to over 500 RWHP or more. This will put the performance on a par with many of the current C5 Z06's running stroker motors. There are many members on this forum running more than 540 RWHP or more on there 427's. :cheers:

·
Registered
788 Posts
tonto said:
A turbo is a wast of money on a street car, as the spool up speed is over 3,000 r's. Super Charger a more street freindly deal. As far as cracking the new codes for a cam or blower change on the current C6, well its now the end of March and no one, sorry did you read that NO ONE has done it yet.
Again, I said for the C6Z, not the C6. By the time the Z is out, the C6 will be cracked (and consequently the C6Z). Just try to be more careful about answering the question asked, and about other peoples' answers. Now go back to English 101.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts