Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting All,

Does anyone have any insight to the following:

I recently bought a 2016 Z06 with 2500 miles from a dealer. Last month I had the oil & filter changed at the dealer (Mobil 1), and within 2 months the Oil Life monitor has gone from 100% to 92% in all of 200 miles.

This is concerning me. Does anyone have an explanation on why this happened? IT seams as though ever time I start the car the percentage goes down.

I would appriciate any insights you may have.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 Z06. It is usually stored and gets little mileage. The monitoring system measures usage and/or time. I drive my car about 600 miles per year. I think your tally is showing that 8% of your allowed time between changes has passed. The system is set nominally to 12 months, but I noticed with my it allows you more time in light usage situations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2016 Z06. It is usually stored and gets little mileage. The monitoring system measures usage and/or time. I drive my car about 600 miles per year. I think your tally is showing that 8% of your allowed time between changes has passed. The system is set nominally to 12 months, but I noticed with my it allows you more time in light usage situations.
Hmmmm Interesting.... I didn't know the monitoring system had a time component to it. Is that an actual fact?? As I also have a C5 and that one does NOT seem to have a time component to the oil monitoring system. Thanks for your experience and insight....

·
21,338 Posts
The monitoring takes many factors into consideration like engine temp, RPM, short drives, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. I change mine at 50% oil life and all seems well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. I see you said you change your oil around 50%.... Approximately how many miles do you get between oil changes?

MikeMNH indicated he gets about 600 miles between oil changes (over a 12 month period)....

This all confuses me because of my experience with my C5 AND my experience with piston aircraft engines.... (which both use full synthetic oil).

In piston aircraft we have been using fully synthetic oils in airplanes for more than 50 years and with the fully synthetic oils, the engine manufactures suggest oil and filter changes only by the number of hours the engine is 'running'.... (AKA no clock time limit/requirement with fully synthetic oil... although common sense is required too).

Most piston aircraft engine manufactures recommend oil and filter changes with full synthetic oil every 50 hours of normal engine operation (which includes taxing, takeoff, & cruise power settings).... and the average light single is cruising around between 125 and 175 MPH with engine RPMs on average, around 2500 RPM at cruise (EG on average, a light single engine can get from Boston to Miami in less than 12 hours of running time.) So by these estimates that would be 2 round trips before an oil & filter change would be required on a single engine piston airplane.... AND by our experiences so far, a ZO6 would need to change oil & filter 4 times to do the same 2 round trip.

So I am not understanding why the oil in a Z06 would need to be changed so frequently. Are the engine components in the Z06 actually wearing out that fast?? I doubt it.... so whats the real rational?.... something isn't making sense to me.

Hopefully others will share their experiences with the Z06 oil changes too....

It would be great IF we somehow we could get an engineer from Chevrolet to tell us why this is the case.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry if I confused with my statement about time vs miles. I was relating my experience. I change the oil when vehicle monitor says "change oil". My 2016 Z06 indicated "change oil soon" last December. It was still indicating that when I traded it in last week (2019 Cayenne S - my old back was getting harder and harder to stuff into Z06). I read MSC2016Z06 post with interest. It would seem to me that high performance engine oil should be changed based on usage/hours. I have encountered many varying opinions concerning stored cars. I have a 2012 Boss 302, which I drive about 200 miles a year. I still change the oil every September. Mobil 1 use is higher annual cost than fuel?? Does anyone have any evidence about oil longevity on stored/collector cars?? PS, I already miss Stormy's (my Z06's nickname) roaring snappy shifts!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
From what I understand the oil life monitor tracks oil temp, driving time and many other factors. I only drive my Z about 1300 mile per year and only change the oil in the late spring. The oil life monitor at that time usually shows 60-65% life left. I think the full synthetic oils have a much better life to them than the old "mineral" oils.
My son has a 2013 Mustang GT with a factory TracPak and that car also requires full synthetic. He drive about 4500 miles per year and I could let it go to annual oil changes, but usually change it about every 9 months and that cars monitor is usually in the 35-40% life left.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply.... I am still puzzled.... I have several high performance cars including a C5 and, as implied above, I also have a 7 passenger airplane and everything I have uses full synthetic oil and its only the 2016 Z06 that seems to have a time component to the oil change monitor.... I find this strange.... I think it would be great IF my original question somehow made it to an actual Chevy engineer that knows the real answer. With ALL the controls in aviation and the punishment an aircraft engine takes I don't understand why they don't implement a time based oil change IF that is actually a fact with the 2016 Z06.

Have a great day ALL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts