Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread regarding the change of supercharger covers between 16-17 to help w cooling. After pricing everything out, would methanol and lower thermostat be a better bang for the buck? I have a 16. Thanks!

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,832 Posts
Your correct that water-methanol will bring down the IAT and have a colder better charge to the cylinders which will also then limit engine knock which causes PCM to reduce timing, killing off torgue and would allow more timing to be added with the PCM calibration (tune)
Using this will also help keep the valves and tops of pistons clean of carbon allowing to keep the cylinder compression as engine designed.
Also this will raise the octane level a bit and make the AFR richer
W/M kits you can get for around $500 and easy to install.

Also via a tune is to command the inner-cooler pump to come on at a cooler IAT will help going cooler sooner

Yes lower thermostat will help but best case is also in the tune is to have the PCM command the fan's speed rotation higher and sooner

Here is your cooling fan tuning table below :
GM sets so engine temps hotter for smog reasons only
Notice where I set the red arrow that even at 219 F coolant degrees the PCM is commanding the fan to only have a 14.9 % rotation speed.
In tuning then set values starting at 89 C to have rotation and increase the percent fans rotation values higher
such as by mid engine load commanded speed rotation is closer to 100%
Of course sound of fan will be louder
With the above changes then also could via tune is command higher maximum PSI of boost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw a thread regarding the change of supercharger covers between 16-17 to help w cooling. After pricing everything out, would methanol and lower thermostat be a better bang for the buck? I have a 16. Thanks!
you may want to hold off, as I've been told that GM is going to do a fix (for free) on early (15-16?) Z06s as a result of the Class Action Lawsuit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts